The Emperor's New Groove 20 Years Later: Brilliantly Hilarious or a Childish Mess?

Sctble

Original Poster
I have a weird relationship with this movie. When I saw the first teaser trailer and what the project had dwindled down to from it's original form (Kingdom Of The Sun), I was rather disappointed. When I came out of the theater after seeing the movie for the first time, I felt empty. No joy. A few chuckles while watching, but overall letdown with a hint of annoyance. (Mind you, this film came out right after more epic and emotionally powerful features such as Tarzan, Mulan, Toy Story 2, Dinosaur, and before the BIG slump of the early 2000's with Atlantis to Home On The Range.)

Now here we are 20 years and a couple weeks later. Surprisingly, the movie has grown on me. I find myself enjoying the humor more than when I first saw it rather than rolling my eyes. I appreciate the laughs it's trying to create, and find it more fun silly instead of childish. It's still nowhere near my top favorites in the Disney library, but it's not the stink bomb I remember from my youth. Not sure if it's me, or what. How do you all see TENG? Is it a witty comedy or immature mess?

For my biggest pet peeve about this movie, why did they have to cut that catchy villain song for Yzma ("Snuff Out The Light")? I understand why some of the original soundtrack songs were removed due to not fitting the story change from Kingdom, but Snuff still fit her character and could have been part of her motive for dethroning the Emperor. Had it made the final cut it could have been one of the best Disney villain songs along the lines of Friends On The Other Side and Be Prepared, imo.

Fox&Hound

Oh it is one of my favorites! The humor is incredible and it is so wacky and silly. Very different than anything else they have ever done and that is why I adore it so much. Yzma and Kronk are the best villain duo ever! I think it is very under appreciared.

Animaniac93-98

20 years ago it was seen as a major disappoint and wasted opportunity for not living up to the potential of "Kingdom of the Sun". It was also a box office disappointment and hit or miss with the critics.

Now seemingly everyone on the internet loves it. Like Hocus Pocus or A Goofy Movie, Millennial nostalgia has significantly improved its reputation. Now no one cares what the original intent was, people just enjoy it for being the funny movie that it is.

lazyboy97o

It’s heartbreaking to watch The Sweatbox but The Emperor’s New Groove has always amused me. I wouldn’t defend it as a great film or anything but I enjoy watching it, which I should do since I have t in awhile.

MouseMelly

I reeeeeeeally like this movie. I'd say "love" but then I feel silly considering it isn't one of my absolute favorites, but I think it's wildly underrated.

Sctble

Original Poster
Very different than anything else they have ever done
Maybe this was the reason I was closed-minded to the concept and silliness of it in my younger years, and didn't appreciate the film for what it was. Coming off the heels of 90's era Disney animated features to this sudden slapstick and more TV type of animation prevented me from giving it the fair chance it probably deserved.

Heppenheimer

This film plays more like a Looney Tunes cartoon than something from Disney. And I love it, for the laugh-out-loud humor, the art design and the simple fact that Disney tried something outside their usual comfort zone. This is easily the funniest movie the Mouse House has ever produced.

unmitigated disaster

erasure fan1

I like the movie. While it doesn't make my top 10 or 15 animated movies. It was funny and enjoyable enough. But It does have one of my most quoted lines.

Squeaky, squeak, squeaker squakaady squeak....

Everytime I see any sort of "woodland" creature. Lol

Sctble

Original Poster
So after a re-watch, one thing seems off a little about the ending (though my original thoughts on this movie improving over time still hold true. I really do enjoy it now.)

But at the end, after Kuzco has turned for the better and is no longer the selfish Emperor he was in the past, he seems reluctantly good, not genuinely. Maybe it's just how I saw it. When he's talking to Pacha about relocating his water park elsewhere and saving the village, his decision seemed forced, not heartfelt.. almost depressed he was doing the right thing. Of course shortly after when we see the two friends actually enjoying the water park, he seems truly happy with his decision, but leading up to it was almost like he was still battling with thoughts of demolishing the village.

Also still wishing they had kept the Yzma song in the final product, and included it right after her eulogy for "dead" Kuzco. Would have added a little depth to her motive for power, and is catchy as all get-out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom