News The Electrical Water Pageant to resume performances at Walt Disney World

Tom P.

Nicholas Meyer, the director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, among many other projects, is fond of saying "art thrives on restrictions." When you lack the technology or the budget, you are forced to get more creative.

I'm not one who hates anything new or thinks all new technology in attractions is bad. I'm glad Disney has Flights of Passage and Rise of the Resistance and so on. And I hope they continue innovating.

But there is an almost elegant simplicity to shows and attractions from "the good ole days" and a definite sense that the imagineers were being as creative and resourceful as possible with what they had.

Much like how I tend to think James Cameron's work lost a lot of its creative spark when he started having nearly unlimited budgets -- I find The Terminator or Aliens to be far more entertaining than Titanic or Avatar -- I tend to think that sometimes today's Disney imagineers can rely too much on the impressiveness of modern technology at the expense of other elements.

My bottom line: there is room for both the old and the new. And I hope Disney continues to utilize both.

TTA94

What’s the best resort and place to watch this from where you can clearly hear the music without to many people around? Any location that pipes the music in perhaps?

techgeek

What’s the best resort and place to watch this from where you can clearly hear the music without to many people around? Any location that pipes the music in perhaps?

Literally anywhere with a water view. The music originates from the barges themselves, and they have a pretty effective sound system that can easily be heard from the top of the Contemporary and just about anywhere else I can think of along the resort waterfronts. The barges are far enough offshore that they play to a very wide viewing area.

The Contemporary observation decks and the Poly beach are probably the two most popular views, but I’m personally fond of watching it from just outside the gates to MK.

I may be wrong, but unlike fireworks shows I don’t believe the EWP music is piped into any indoor location. You’ll want to be outdoors for the best experience.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m not offended by this.

Wait. I mean… we can’t get a nighttime parade but they can update this piddling little show?!?! How cheap! I’m never going again!! Well, maybe I’ll go, but I won’t like it! I’m going to speak to a manager about this and let them know I’m a DVC member and I know they can afford things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom