News The Effect of “Frozen 2” in the Parks (SPOILER HEAVY)

Surferboy567

This communication contains “forward-looking statements.” Forward-looking statements include all statements other than statements of historical fact, including plans, strategies and expectations for the future, statements regarding the expected timing of filings and approvals relating to the transaction, the expected timing of the completion of the transaction, the ability to complete the transaction or to satisfy the various closing conditions, future revenues and profitability from or growth or any assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Statements made in the future tense, and words such as “anticipate,” “expect,” “project,” “continue,” “believe,” “plan,” “estimate,” “pro forma,” “intend,” “potential,” “target,” “forecast,” “guidance,” “outlook,” “seek,” “assume,” “will,” “may,” “should,” and similar expressions are intended to qualify as forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions that are believed to be reasonable, though they are inherently uncertain and difficult to predict. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results or experience to differ materially from that expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Some of these risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: required regulatory approvals for the transaction may not be obtained in a timely manner, if at all; the conditions to closing of the transaction may not be satisfied; competitive pressures and developments; applicable laws and regulations; the success or failure of product development programs; actions of regulatory authorities and the timing thereof; changes in exchange rates; and claims or concerns regarding the safety or efficacy of marketed products or product candidates in development.The forward-looking statements contained in this communication speak only as of the date of this communication, and neither WDWMagic.com nor the poster undertakes any obligation to revise or update any forward-looking statements to reflect new information, future events or circumstances after the date of the forward-looking statement. If one or more of these statements is updated or corrected, investors and others should not conclude that additional updates or corrections will be made.

...your point? I’m merely just very happy with Frozen 2...also this is a dissussion fourm so their are a lot of “forward looking“ statements.

YodaMan

Metacritic is the only indicator left that isn't used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand. Disney wanted $150 million out of this one, they got $127 million. It's likely to grab a box office total of $500-600 million, far below the billion of the first.

Lmaoooo. What are you even trying to say in your last sentence?? The first film cleared 400 domestic and 1.2 billion worldwide. Frozen 2 is still poised to clear both those numbers. It passed 300 worldwide in just the first weekend and that doesn’t even include 20 markets in which it has yet to be released. In almost every international territory the film set records for biggest opening for an animated film. It’s gonna do just fine and still more than easily beat its predecessor.

wiscbugs

Frozen 2 is not good; the story is confusing and the music is disappointing. The animation is great but I expect there will be a precipitous box office drop off in subsequent weeks. Obviously the first weekend is going to be good with every girl under the age of 12 wanting to see it based on the first movie.

WDW Pro

You say forecasts were at 145M in an attempt to make it seem like the movie underperformed, but even the article you linked to says between 115M, and 145M on the high end... did you even read it? If I cared enough I could link another 5 articles that show estimates were actually more in the lower 100M range.

And don’t bother with the Disney had an “internal forecast of 150M” talk. I can almost guarantee that you don’t have access to that information unless you read it in a trade or someone blabbed outright in an interview. As far as I know Disney is very happy with opening weekend.

Again, I didn’t like the film - it’s one of my least favorite Disney films in a while. But it’s a massive success so far and you’re twisting any information you can find to try to make it seem like it’s not doing well.

You say you have lots of contacts in the industry and used to be in the industry, but the way you’re doing analysis shows you’re either very, very much removed from the industry or your “contacts” are interns.

I'm not going to argue with you. If you were at all knowledgeable, you wouldn't be arguing, so I'm happy to let you continue the way you are. I'll make sure to link you back in about 2 months when the box office totals land exactly where I have said rather than the 1 billion + of the original. Enjoy.

Mouse Trap

I'm not going to argue with you. If you were at all knowledgeable, you wouldn't be arguing, so I'm happy to let you continue the way you are. I'll make sure to link you back in about 2 months when the box office totals land exactly where I have said rather than the 1 billion + of the original. Enjoy.

You said it’ll land $500-600M. So I’ll expect you right back here with another half-baked and laughable excuse when it exceeds that amount.

Don’t start hedging on your expert analysis so soon. We’ll see how much of an industry expert you really are in 2-3 weeks 😂

Really, it’s best not to pretend you’re some sort of Hollywood insider. I don’t do anything magical or exclusive in the world of entertainment, but it’s laughable how much you’re grasping even from my level of involvement.

Last edited:

SpoiledBlueMilk

So since Elsa left, she shouldn't be in the parks now, right? Just like we can't find Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader anywhere in SW:GE. ;)
Frozen II was a major, major disappointment. Convoluted, forced storyline. I was mad at the ending too, with Elsa abdicating the throne and then not even being at her sister's coronation. Terrible character writing. I can't believe that's the best they could do.
As far as the parks are concerned, I would say we see very little impact from the new film in the long term. Sure there will be new outfits, and references to it, and possibly a ceremony for the now-Queen Anna, but the original Frozen 1 is basically where it's at for most people.

The movie has been out for less than a week. Give it some time to germinate. Also, since Frozen 2 is now the crown holder for largest opening for an animated film (not adjusting for inflation) I doubt Disney is going to stick with the original for its park content.

Brad Bishop

I believe that it will incite a collective yawn to the average guest.

I remember the groans, years back, with the "Let it go.... Let it go!!!" bits in the fireworks show.

It had a catchy song. It was an OK movie (not great, just OK). Yeah, I know it did well at the box office because of that song.

BrianLo

Metacritic is the only indicator left that isn't used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand. Disney wanted $150 million out of this one, they got $127 million. It's likely to grab a box office total of $500-600 million, far below the billion of the first.

:hilarious:

We'll talk again in 7 days.

Animaniac93-98

I was mad at the ending too, with Elsa abdicating the throne and then not even being at her sister's coronation. Terrible character writing. I can't believe that's the best they could do.

So the whole point of Elsa and Anna learning to accept each other and not live in fear of their fellow citizens is thrown out to justify more conflict and subvert expectations?

Moka

Do I expect Frozen II to exceed over the original film in the box office totals? Sorta. Do I expect to see Frozen II have as big as an impact in the parks as the first film? No. While some had predicted Frozen II to surpass The Lion King (2019) as highest grossing animated film once again like it passed the original Lion King in 2013, (which I doubt will happen, 7th highest grossing film will be extremely difficult to reach, even for Frozen) these numbers I feel won’t have anything to do with Disney allowing more Frozen into their parks. Even without Frozen II, Disney would be allowing Frozen in and out of their parks no matter what just because of the success of the first film. So as for Frozen II in general making a big impact, I don’t think it’s pushing it that hard besides a few decorations and outfits like mentioned previously.

Disneyson

Original Poster
So the whole point of Elsa and Anna learning to accept each other and not live in fear of their fellow citizens is thrown out to justify more conflict and subvert expectations?

Not quite... the problem essentially is “How do you deal with problems that you don’t really want to deal with?” Problems, mostly, that come out of accepting each other’s truths.

Elsa does not want to be a queen. It stresses her out. She literally made an ice castle in the first one to escape her duties. She finally finds her place “into the unknown”. As in the first movie, she pushes herself too far and needs Anna’s help to come back from the dead. Her arc in the movie is coming to admit that, even though she loves her family, she needs to grow up and do something that doesn’t make her miserable. And she learns that, taking a page from Anna’s book, she can’t do everything by herself, and if you love sometimes you have to let go.

Anna wants to feel like she means something to the storyline, which is kind of meta because she does most of the plot work and Elsa usually gets most of the glory. She essentially must come to terms with the fact that she can’t just be Elsa’s sidekick and, taking a page from Elsa’s book, that she can do things on her own. Even when that means spiraling into a deep depression And literally climbing out of it.

Olaf must consider his own mortality, and Kristoff confronts the fact that his character existing in the film is entirely based on a princess being there to save him. Both essentially accept this fact and change very little.

They also find out that their parents are super-dead and that their grandfather was a supremacist that essentially colonized thIs story’s native people, but the movie is not ballsy enough to really dive into these much more interesting plot lines for fear of becoming too political.

By the end of the movie, Elsa finds a place to practice her magic where there are other people who understand her, and Anna has a coronation all by herself because she knows she doesn’t need her sister’s superpowers to do stuff.

deeevo

Throughout the movie I could not help but wonder if Disney put Bruni in the movie just to sell plush toys and they change the outfits so many times just to sell more dresses. I thought it was pretty good overall and my girls loved it and that is all that matters.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They also find out that their parents are super-dead and that their grandfather was a supremacist that essentially colonized thIs story’s native people, but the movie is not ballsy enough to really dive into these much more interesting plot lines for fear of becoming too political.
It's OK, because in Frozen 3, they open their borders to disadvantaged immigrants and are colonized by the emerging Final Caliphate. This leads to Aladdin 3: The Reckoning where Princess Jasmine discovers she's the illegitimate daughter of Thanos and goes searching for the remaining pieces of the Tesseract.

Animaniac93-98

Not quite... the problem essentially is “How do you deal with problems that you don’t really want to deal with?” Problems, mostly, that come out of accepting each other’s truths.

Elsa does not want to be a queen. It stresses her out. She literally made an ice castle in the first one to escape her duties.

There was nothing in the first movie to suggest that the specific duties of being Queen was Elsa's concern. It was about the fear of her not being able to control her powers and potentially hurting people like her sister again.

The movie ended with the gates open and Elsa using her powers in front of people and they were fine with that. Outside forces posing a threat to the Kingdom makes sense for a new conflict/story, but changing the outcome of the first movie does not sound like good storytelling to me.

[this is not an attack on you, just a general critique of the movie's plot]

By the end of the movie, Elsa finds a place to practice her magic where there are other people who understand her, and Anna has a coronation all by herself because she knows she doesn’t need her sister’s superpowers to do stuff.

The whole thing sounds disappointing and would explain why opinions are so polarizing on it.

Like all of Disney's fairy tales, Frozen never really lent itself to a sequel. It was always going to be a challenge to justify a new narrative with these same characters and it sounds like a mix of ambition and studio notes prevented it from being something more.

Animaniac93-98

It's OK, because in Frozen 3, they open their borders to disadvantaged immigrants and are colonized by the emerging Final Caliphate. This leads to Aladdin 3: The Reckoning where Princess Jasmine discovers she's the illegitimate daughter of Thanos and goes searching for the remaining pieces of the Tesseract.

You mean Aladdin 4. We already got Aladdin 3 in 1996.

Unless this is what they are planning for Aladdin (2019) 2. Which is in the works and not to be confused with Aladdin 2 from 1994.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You mean Aladdin 4. We already got Aladdin 3 in 1996.

Unless this is what they are planning for Aladdin (2019) 2. Which is in the works and not to be confused with Aladdin 2 from 1994.
Except I didn't mean to count direct to video releases. Which would technically make this Aladdin 2: The Reckoning. Regardless, all will become clear in Guardians of the Galaxy 3: Baxter's Revenge, where Gamora and Starlord are revealed to be clones of Princess Jasmine and Prince Ali.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom