News The Effect of “Frozen 2” in the Parks (SPOILER HEAVY)

WDW Pro

Frozen 2 is being poorly received by audiences. I personally saw it and can't understand how that mess got out of storyboards. Disney has incredible recent movies in Moana, Coco, etc, but Frozen 2 is actually bad. I suspect you'll see a major drop off in Box Office revenue after Thanksgiving and Disney will focus on the first movie primarily. By the time lead characters were actually attempting terrorist acts as some bizarre means of resolving conflict, I had already become so annoyed that it didn't even phase me. My fiance was so looking forward to the movie, and even she was whispering to me within the first act how poor the script was.

DarkMetroid567

Frozen 2 is being poorly received by audiences. I personally saw it and can't understand how that mess got out of storyboards. Disney has incredible recent movies in Moana, Coco, etc, but Frozen 2 is actually bad. I suspect you'll see a major drop off in Box Office revenue after Thanksgiving and Disney will focus on the first movie primarily. By the time lead characters were actually attempting terrorist acts as some bizarre means of resolving conflict, I had already become so annoyed that it didn't even phase me. My fiance was so looking forward to the movie, and even she was whispering to me within the first act how poor the script was.

wow this is laughably wrong

bubbles1812

This... doesn’t reflect reality. Nothing says you have to like it but it still isn’t reflective of reality. 75% on RT, 93% RT audience score, and more important and probably most accurate, an A- Cinemascore does not “being poorly received by audiences” a perception make.

I doubt there will be the substantial drop you predict. Spies in Disguise is the next animated movie out and it is not being released until Christmas. And certainly won’t have the same draw. Star Wars will of course draw families but I’m hard pressed to think of other family movies that will draw people in over the next month.

Surferboy567

I saw Frozen 2 a second time in Dolby...and WOW. I am comfortable now calling it better than the original frozen. The second viewing really strengthened the movie for me. I am looking forward to a possible park integration. I really like everything about it, and the music at least for me was even stronger the second time.

...also no way they don't try to make a Water Nokk attraction.

Mouse Trap

Personally didn’t enjoy it and I expected better from Joe Buck and Jennifer Lee. There was definitely a lot of corporate pressure into making and getting this done with or without a fleshed out, meaningful story. I think if this was up to the creatives it would’ve never been made. It was entertaining, but nothing more.

Critically it’s not being received well, but because of what’s been a very weak class for 2019 in terms of animated films it’ll probably still get a nomination. The screener I attended no one seemed to happy, but the general consensus is animation has been so weak this year this one will get enough votes.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

This... doesn’t reflect reality. Nothing says you have to like it but it still isn’t reflective of reality. 75% on RT, 93% RT audience score, and more important and probably most accurate, an A- Cinemascore does not “being poorly received by audiences” a perception make.

I doubt there will be the substantial drop you predict. Spies in Disguise is the next animated movie out and it is not being released until Christmas. And certainly won’t have the same draw. Star Wars will of course draw families but I’m hard pressed to think of other family movies that will draw people in over the next month.

Metacritic is the only indicator left that isn't used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand. Disney wanted $150 million out of this one, they got $127 million. It's likely to grab a box office total of $500-600 million, far below the billion of the first.

No Name

Bob Chapek: So when Frozen came out, we shoved it heavy into Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and eventually Epcot. But it’s never really been in Animal Kingdom. Can we fix that?

Directors of Frozen 2:

——

Seriously though, the tone of the movie felt very much in line with the tone of Animal Kingdom, and certain sounds and sequences even sounded and looked a lot like a Frozen edition of the Tree of Life Awakenings or Rivers of Light. Heck, Elsa literally watches projections at one point. I would then say that the themes of the movie are not in line with DAK’s, except there were no themes of the movie. The movie was meaningless. Pointless. Forgettable. Ironically, Frozen 2 fits with the Norway pavilion far more than the original movie does, because it showcases more Norwegian culture and mythology, and does nothing beyond that. Frozen 2 was unfortunate. I wanted to like it. And I swear if it finds it’s way to DAK...

Mouse Trap

Metacritic is the only indicator left that isn't used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand. Disney wanted $150 million out of this one, they got $127 million. It's likely to grab a box office total of $500-600 million, far below the billion of the first.

This isn’t true. Most expectations were just above 100M, with some of the more aggressive forecasts at 115M. I didn’t like the movie, but it’s preforming better than most expected.

bubbles1812

Let me just go ahead and roll my eyes here at your first statement... I’m not an ignorant noob they way you seem to be implying. Metacritic currently has Frozen 2 at 65%, ie generally favorable reviews. It just set the biggest global opening for an animated movie. It’s going to do just fine.

No Name

Frozen 2’s opening week success has almost nothing to do with the quality of the film.

Even the success of the film in its entire theatrical run will be largely influenced by people’s opinion of the original and desire to see the characters’ return. Hence why they made the unprecedented decision to release a theatrical sequel of a princess movie in the first place. The real impact will be more evident in Frozen 3, if or when that materializes.

WDW Pro

This isn’t true. Most expectations were just above 100M, with some of the more aggressive forecasts at 115M. I didn’t like the movie, but it’s preforming better than most expected.

The forecasts were for $145 million, and as late as August, Disney had internal projections as high as $150 million.

In actuality, it pulled in $127 million.

Although that's not bad, there's significant belief that it is a front-loaded movie.

When you add Mendelson's commentary (which usually he's a moron, but on this one he's right) with the Metacritic response (65), you get a lukewarm reception that can signal a deep drop-off after the Thanksgiving holiday.

Let me just go ahead and roll my eyes here at your first statement... I’m not an ignorant noob they way you seem to be implying. Metacritic currently has Frozen 2 at 65%, ie generally favorable reviews. It just set the biggest global opening for an animated movie. It’s going to do just fine.

"Biggest global opening" is a ridiculous measure because every big animated release will always be the "biggest global opening" due to the rapid increase in global audience. A 65% Metacritic response and tepid audience response tends to indicate a front-loaded sequel. I've worked in the industry, I have many contacts in the industry, I know what I'm talking about. Disney has several big animated films coming up that could be the next Frozen... Frozen 2 just isn't that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I saw Frozen 2 a second time in Dolby...and WOW. I am comfortable now calling it better than the original frozen. The second viewing really strengthened the movie for me. I am looking forward to a possible park integration. I really like everything about it, and the music at least for me was even stronger the second time.

...also no way they don't try to make a Water Nokk attraction.
This communication contains “forward-looking statements.” Forward-looking statements include all statements other than statements of historical fact, including plans, strategies and expectations for the future, statements regarding the expected timing of filings and approvals relating to the transaction, the expected timing of the completion of the transaction, the ability to complete the transaction or to satisfy the various closing conditions, future revenues and profitability from or growth or any assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Statements made in the future tense, and words such as “anticipate,” “expect,” “project,” “continue,” “believe,” “plan,” “estimate,” “pro forma,” “intend,” “potential,” “target,” “forecast,” “guidance,” “outlook,” “seek,” “assume,” “will,” “may,” “should,” and similar expressions are intended to qualify as forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions that are believed to be reasonable, though they are inherently uncertain and difficult to predict. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results or experience to differ materially from that expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Some of these risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: required regulatory approvals for the transaction may not be obtained in a timely manner, if at all; the conditions to closing of the transaction may not be satisfied; competitive pressures and developments; applicable laws and regulations; the success or failure of product development programs; actions of regulatory authorities and the timing thereof; changes in exchange rates; and claims or concerns regarding the safety or efficacy of marketed products or product candidates in development.The forward-looking statements contained in this communication speak only as of the date of this communication, and neither WDWMagic.com nor the poster undertakes any obligation to revise or update any forward-looking statements to reflect new information, future events or circumstances after the date of the forward-looking statement. If one or more of these statements is updated or corrected, investors and others should not conclude that additional updates or corrections will be made.

Mouse Trap

The forecasts were for $145 million, and as late as August, Disney had internal projections as high as $150 million.

In actuality, it pulled in $127 million.

Although that's not bad, there's significant belief that it is a front-loaded movie.

When you add Mendelson's commentary (which usually he's a moron, but on this one he's right) with the Metacritic response (65), you get a lukewarm reception that can signal a deep drop-off after the Thanksgiving holiday.

"Biggest global opening" is a ridiculous measure because every big animated release will always be the "biggest global opening" due to the rapid increase in global audience. A 65% Metacritic response and tepid audience response tends to indicate a front-loaded sequel. I've worked in the industry, I have many contacts in the industry, I know what I'm talking about. Disney has several big animated films coming up that could be the next Frozen... Frozen 2 just isn't that.

You say forecasts were at 145M in an attempt to make it seem like the movie underperformed, but even the article you linked to says between 115M, and 145M on the high end... did you even read it? If I cared enough I could link another 5 articles that show estimates were actually more in the lower 100M range.

And don’t bother with the Disney had an “internal forecast of 150M” talk. I can almost guarantee that you don’t have access to that information unless you read it in a trade or someone blabbed outright in an interview. As far as I know Disney is very happy with opening weekend.

Again, I didn’t like the film - it’s one of my least favorite Disney films in a while. But it’s a massive success so far and you’re twisting any information you can find to try to make it seem like it’s not doing well.

You say you have lots of contacts in the industry and used to be in the industry, but the way you’re doing analysis shows you’re either very, very much removed from the industry or your “contacts” are interns.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom