The Edison--details announced

FoodRockz

Toothsome is incredibly overpriced, so that’s a bad comparison. Not defending Edison, but more saying that Toothsome isn’t what I would be classifying as not being overpriced.
Perhaps this menu was scanned too quickly, but my experiences at Toothsome have said otherwise. $12-15 for an entree and $10 for an elaborate sundae that can feed 3 adults at a highly themed theme park based table service restaurant is a good deal to me.

TrojanUSC

It may just be me, but by the looks of all of the photos and the general wording of the reviews, I’m not that impressed by The Edison’s nighttime vibe. I’ll have to wait and see it in person, obviously, but it seems like they stopped just short of making something incredible. I’m usually not one to speak negatively, but I was very excited about this. I work in live entertainment production, specifically managing production for nightlife venues, so it’s an aspect that I’m always focusing on when I look at a new spot.

For starters, the projected video behind the bandstand is just way too small. The wall is huge and the scaling is just off, making the video seem like an afterthought. Lighting seems incredibly basic and drab for a “nightclub,” even one that is a restaurant during the day. Even the sound system appears to be something temporary, not a well integrated and planned system befitting a destination nightclub. It appears to fall very short of the benchmark set by its older sister club in Los Angeles. There is so much potential there that, by the numerous photos and video angles I’ve seen, just wasn’t realized. For all of the hype, I was really expecting something much more than just a great restaurant that sort of halfway commits to being a bar at night. Maybe there is more coming in terms of production value, I hope. That, or my impression in person will be totally different.

Looking at the photos from that review which was recently posted it looks like a dreadful nightclub experience. The one in LA is great because it feels like you're exploring this unique space, with lots of different nooks and crannies to find. It feels like the world's coolest bar. There are no typical restaurant-style tables. Seems like this version is just a restaurant they're trying to make work as a club venue. It should have been a nightclub venue with lite bites during the day. The fact they still have the dinner furniture out just makes this feel like you're drinking in a TGI Fridays, not an upscale nightclub.

TrojanUSC

That is frankly one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read. It is very clear you have not experienced The Edison in person to make such ignorant comments. Nothing about the experience equates it to a TGI Fridays. But, as always, there are just some unbearable people on this forum who are teething to tear down the continued FANTASTIC additions at Disney Springs. Oh well, one less body to ruin my experience

Maybe you should visit the one in LA, then take a look at the photos of the “nightclub” in Orlando. People sitting around at regular dinner tables that they just moved enough out of the way to make a small stage/dance floor.

cspencer96

I have no interest in ever visiting LA. It’s fine to say it’s not as grand as it’s counterpart out west but to say it’s like a TGI Friday is ridiculous. Last I checked the local TGI Friday’s didn’t have a live band, dancers, or an aerial performer. The Edison is a class act and the greatest nighttime venue in town
I definitely would not go as far as saying it’s the “greatest nighttime venue in town.” I run a nightclub in a college town that looks more exciting than this iteration of The Edison, and the venues in Downtown Orlando certainly top it as well. I get that the decor is nice to look at, but that doesn’t make it successful as a nightclub.

cspencer96

That is frankly one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read. It is very clear you have not experienced The Edison in person to make such ignorant comments. Nothing about the experience equates it to a TGI Fridays. But, as always, there are just some unbearable people on this forum who are teething to tear down the continued FANTASTIC additions at Disney Springs. Oh well, one less body to ruin my experience
I have nothing but good things to say about most of Disney Springs. The Edison, in my opinion, may be the second venue to truly fail to hit its mark. It’s execution and hype level reminds me of what we got with Planet Hollywood’s Observatory.

Next Big Thing

I have no interest in ever visiting LA. It’s fine to say it’s not as grand as it’s counterpart out west but to say it’s like a TGI Friday is ridiculous. Last I checked the local TGI Friday’s didn’t have a live band, dancers, or an aerial performer. The Edison is a class act and the greatest nighttime venue in town
It's definitely a great addition to Disney Springs and has a lot of unique entertainment, but I certainly wouldn't go as far as best nighttime venue in town.

Hell, on certain nights, I wouldn't even say The Edison is the greatest nighttime venue in Disney Springs (House of Blues is amazing depending on who is playing or if they are doing club nights).

TrojanUSC

Not sure the reason for the slight judginess of LA, but the point is that they built a restaurant they’re trying to double time as a nightclub. In LA, there’s couches, little “living room” areas, lots of dance areas, etc. It is by no means a restaurant. This just feels like you’re at a Steampunk wedding reception. Lots of seated round tables with some minor entertainment in the middle.

Next Big Thing

I have nothing but good things to say about most of Disney Springs. The Edison, in my opinion, may be the second venue to truly fail to hit its mark. It’s execution and hype level reminds me of what we got with Planet Hollywood’s Observatory.
Were people really hyped about Planet Hollywood? I never expected anything more than an updated version of what we already had.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

And my first ever visit to DL will not be anywhere outside the immediate area. I have little interest in California. But this is off topic and irrelevant

Six Flags, Universal Studios, Warner Bros. Studio Tour, Disney Studio Lot?

Genuinely curious what the hostility is to LA?

HoraceHorizons

Not sure the reason for the slight judginess of LA, but the point is that they built a restaurant they’re trying to double time as a nightclub. In LA, there’s couches, little “living room” areas, lots of dance areas, etc. It is by no means a restaurant. This just feels like you’re at a Steampunk wedding reception. Lots of seated round tables with some minor entertainment in the middle.

This is so disappointing to hear. Maybe this isn't true of all nights at THE EDISON (orlando) but IMO this is the writing on the wall, from way back when Disney claimed that Pleasure Island would be re-themed as more adult AND FAMILY friendly. Now we have "families" not getting the music at Hangar Bar, and The Edison has to be a restaurant, and the "Neverland Tunnels" are Enzo's Hideaway Bar and Italian Restaurant (who is the target audience for this place?).
To begin with, Ive never understand the insistence on having 600 new restaurants at DS. There are simply only so many restaurants a person can visit in a week, and while its nice for repeat customers to try new ones, the issue there, for me, is naturally some get pushed way down on your list and when something is fantastic-enough (The Boathouse, for example) you want to repeat that place, and show whoever hasn't been there before, on your following trip. It doesn't surprise me so many restaurants at DS are empty, but they are still building more!

To me the issue with THE EDISON seems the lack of commitment to a purpose. You can almost hear some exec going "That's a great idea, a Cabaret-Jazzy-WW1 era-industrial speakeasy club for adults only!....What if it was less all of those things though and more of a family-style restaurant with much brighter lighting?" Like a film producer that loves a script for The Bell Jar but then says "But what if she didn't commit suicide?" It's like same problem with EPCOT for the past 2 decades.
Neverland Tunnels, and The Edison (LA-style) sounded like an awesome way to satisfy the adult scene at Disney and in Orlando, but they got scared and played it safe. "Safe" is exactly what the night crowd doesn't want.

Before someone chimes in and starts saying Disney is for families... There is definitely a balance that could have been struck, between the esoteric and the wholesome. I think Hangar Bar and The Adventurer's Club is/was the perfect example. HB is the only place they got right. I'm wondering if they are dulling the themeing down there since the rest of these places are struggling? Maybe if they committed to Neverland Tunnels (as conceived) and The EDISON as just a nightclub, the promise of a balance between Pleasure Island and the Disney Family model would have been met.

If Disney would close the doors of the Edison during the day, serve bar food until 11, get rid of any idea of a late night menu, stop serving food at Enzo's HIdeaway Tunnel Bar (Seriously who is that place supposed to appeal to now?), stick to themed music at HANGAR BAR, and make each spot specific to certain types of music scenes... give it some time for word of mouth... They'd draw crowds. Guaranteed.

You can bet I will not attend THE EDISON if they start having Top 40 DJ's on weekends.
I feel like as a rule, business begins its decline when you stop telling people what's good, and start trying to deliver to a phantom idea of what people already think is good.
And Im just restating what made the places interesting to begin with.

I think Walt Disney once stated that he and his company "really believed that good work will get noticed." When has neutered work ever been noticed? That's not to say the place has to deal with dark-subject matter either. Much of Disney's stuff is edgy and groundbreaking in spite of being family oriented. That's what successful companies are built on.

Last edited:

Mouse Detective

"You can bet I will not attend THE EDISON if they start having Top 40 DJ's on weekends."
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Top 40 DJ's IS what they have on weekends and it's what they've had since they opened in January.

HoraceHorizons

"You can bet I will not attend THE EDISON if they start having Top 40 DJ's on weekends."
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Top 40 DJ's IS what they have on weekends and it's what they've had since they opened in January.
Boooooo! what happened to contortionists and cabaret?

Last edited:

S 2

This is so disappointing to hear. Maybe this isn't true of all nights at THE EDISON (orlando) but IMO this is the writing on the wall, from way back when Disney claimed that Pleasure Island would be re-themed as more adult AND FAMILY friendly. Now we have "families" not getting the music at Hangar Bar, and The Edison has to be a restaurant, and the "Neverland Tunnels" are Enzo's Hideaway Bar and Italian Restaurant (who is the target audience for this place?).
To begin with, Ive never understand the insistence on having 600 new restaurants at DS. There are simply only so many restaurants a person can visit in a week, and while its nice for repeat customers to try new ones, the issue there, for me, is naturally some get pushed way down on your list and when something is fantastic-enough (The Boathouse, for example) you want to repeat that place, and show whoever hasn't been there before, on your following trip. It doesn't surprise me so many restaurants at DS are empty, but they are still building more!

To me the issue with THE EDISON seems the lack of commitment to a purpose. You can almost hear some exec going "That's a great idea, a Cabaret-Jazzy-WW1 era-industrial speakeasy club for adults only!....What if it was less all of those things though and more of a family-style restaurant with much brighter lighting?" Like a film producer that loves a script for The Bell Jar but then says "But what if she didn't commit suicide?" It's like same problem with EPCOT for the past 2 decades.
Neverland Tunnels, and The Edison (LA-style) sounded like an awesome way to satisfy the adult scene at Disney and in Orlando, but they got scared and played it safe. "Safe" is exactly what the night crowd doesn't want.

Before someone chimes in and starts saying Disney is for families... There is definitely a balance that could have been struck, between the esoteric and the wholesome. I think Hangar Bar and The Adventurer's Club is/was the perfect example. HB is the only place they got right. I'm wondering if they are dulling the themeing down there since the rest of these places are struggling? Maybe if they committed to Neverland Tunnels (as conceived) and The EDISON as just a nightclub, the promise of a balance between Pleasure Island and the Disney Family model would have been met.

If Disney would close the doors of the Edison during the day, serve bar food until 11, get rid of any idea of a late night menu, stop serving food at Enzo's HIdeaway Tunnel Bar (Seriously who is that place supposed to appeal to now?), stick to themed music at HANGAR BAR, and make each spot specific to certain types of music scenes... give it some time for word of mouth... They'd draw crowds. Guaranteed.

You can bet I will not attend THE EDISON if they start having Top 40 DJ's on weekends.
I feel like as a rule, business begins its decline when you stop telling people what's good, and start trying to deliver to a phantom idea of what people already think is good.
And Im just restating what made the places interesting to begin with.

I think Walt Disney once stated that he and his company "really believed that good work will get noticed." When has neutered work ever been noticed? That's not to say the place has to deal with dark-subject matter either. Much of Disney's stuff is edgy and groundbreaking in spite of being family oriented. That's what successful companies are built on.

There is one place out of like a 100 at Disney Springs that kids won't be allowed into for a few hours of each day. A place that I doubt any kids would want to get into anyway. In summary: AUUUUUUUGH WALT IS ROLLING IS HIS GRAVE, DISNEY WORLD IS DEAD! AUUUUUUGH!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom