The dreaded family of 5 at Disney

Takeitforgranite

My wife and I went to WDW over 10 times together before our family suddenly grew by 3. We would always stay at Value resorts because doing so meant being able to go more often.

Now there mare 5 of us, and that essentially means the price of the resort stay doubles. At 5, you either have to get a Value suite or move up to moderate. It’s pretty frustrating.
I’ve looked into renting DVC points, but I’m a bit nervous about having no cancellation and paying up front.

I can’t help but want to look at off site resorts, but I’m afraid to even broach the subject with my wife. We both love the immersive experience, but it may be time to consider it. That 5th person is really expensive.

Right now, we are going to shoot for buying annual passes next summer and have a long trips on each end…and hopefully a couple shorter ones in the middle. That would be a better value overall, as far as park passes. We just have to figure out something resort-wise (or hotel).

Any suggestions from those who have been there are appreciated.

KCheatle

A friend of mine with a family of 6 recently stated at Art of Animation and loved it. Otherwise, my brother is in the same position as you, and we are all staying at Dolphin this year because they have rollaways.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did the family of 5 thing for a little over 10 years. I wish I had some better news, but you pretty much have to suck it up and go with one of the options you mentioned.

We often went with either 2 rooms at a value or a single room PORS (it was the only family of 5 moderate at the time). We did the value suites or Deluxe rooms a couple of times as well.

2 rooms at a value tended to be the most economical option and we got 2 bathrooms and a lot more space. This was the option we chose most often once my oldest girl hit about 12 or 13.

If that option was not available PORS was our choice. It was a much nicer resort, but the rooms were a bit cramp once daughter #3 hit toddler age.

The suites were the nicest rooms with all of the space of two value rooms plus a mini kitchen, separate master bedroom, and a better floor plan. The only problem is the cost was often the highest of the three options

Upvote 0

crawale

My wife and I went to WDW over 10 times together before our family suddenly grew by 3. We would always stay at Value resorts because doing so meant being able to go more often.

Now there mare 5 of us, and that essentially means the price of the resort stay doubles. At 5, you either have to get a Value suite or move up to moderate. It’s pretty frustrating.
I’ve looked into renting DVC points, but I’m a bit nervous about having no cancellation and paying up front.

I can’t help but want to look at off site resorts, but I’m afraid to even broach the subject with my wife. We both love the immersive experience, but it may be time to consider it. That 5th person is really expensive.

Right now, we are going to shoot for buying annual passes next summer and have a long trips on each end…and hopefully a couple shorter ones in the middle. That would be a better value overall, as far as park passes. We just have to figure out something resort-wise (or hotel).

My three grandsons - 11,9 and 7 were quite comfortable in a Queen bed or couch. Problem was dining reservations for 5 were hard to get plus riding things like Winnie the Pooh where there were 4 people to a car. Once the youngest turned 7 they could ride all together on a 4 seat ride. Something to consider especially on the coasters.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

There is no harm in looking at some of the Disney Springs area resorts! They have suites that cost less than single rooms on site, and there are close to Disney Springs so you can use the transportation at DS for transportation to the parks.

Upvote 0

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
We have done the suites at ASM. It was nice, but the overall bed situation is better in two adjacent rooms. I’ve heard mixed reviews about expecting to get adjacent rooms, though.

If you try to interpret the room rate calendar, two rooms are generally cheaper than a suite there, but not always. I don’t really understand that.

Upvote 1

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Big fan of Fort Wilderness Cabins for the extra space.

Is there a grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, or family friend who might be interested in tagging along? Sometimes we'll get two rooms, bring my sister, and just have her pay for half of the second room to stay with one or two of the kids.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I don't know if your family enjoys camping, but renting a campsite at Fort Wilderness and arranging for a camper/RV rental might be an option. The price of the campsite plus the camper rental -- depending on the size of the camper -- can be the same or less than a value resort room. If you Google "Fort Wilderness Camper Rental," there are a number of reputable companies who rent out campers and RVs, who will drive it to your site and set it all up for you ahead of time, and then whisk it away when you're done.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have done the suites at ASM. It was nice, but the overall bed situation is better in two adjacent rooms. I’ve heard mixed reviews about expecting to get adjacent rooms, though.

If you try to interpret the room rate calendar, two rooms are generally cheaper than a suite there, but not always. I don’t really understand that.
Adjacent is typically not a problem especially if you are not in a preferred room. Connecting rooms can be as there are a limited number of them.

Suites will almost always be more. Even though a Value Suite and 2 value rooms are near identical in square footage, the addition of a mini kitchen and living room add to the value of the room. In short, they charge more because they can.

Upvote 0

Kingoglow

Every suggestion that is given is rebutted.

Your original research is correct. Value suite or moderate. I would get the DVC rental and just not cancel, but you are hesitant about that as well.

So if you don't like any of these options, you can get an airbnb offsite or leave the wife at home.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

My brother has 6 people in his party and unless he rents a Fort Wilderness cabin, he rents two value rooms. The other way he got around this was putting one kid in my room at a moderate. We like to stay at Deluxe Villas, so that was not an option for him this last trip, so he ended up renting two rooms at Pop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

carriebeth

We have 8 children so even 2 rooms at values don’t work for us. We have always done 2 rooms at Caribbean beach with the 5th sleeper or 2 rooms at Riverside with the 5th sleeper. We always are able to get the connecting rooms and always do the preferred rooms and stay for 2 weeks so I don’t think there is much trouble getting the connecting rooms. Alternatively, we will do a 3 bedroom suite at somewhere like old key west or Sarasota springs.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
There aren't many options. My first suggestion is see if you're eligible to stay at Shades of Green all rooms sleep 5, the cabins at FW would be my 2nd suggestion, 3rd DS area hotels, 4th Surfside/Dockside at UNI and do both sets of parks

Upvote 0

Dinardo

Considering the “perks” of staying onsite are non-existent (currently) - I would argue that the best option would be a suite at any of the adjacent properties.

I know people will argue that parking at the parks will cost you - but parking at the Disney hotels now comes with a price - so it’s a wash in my opinion.

I just wanted to chime in because my family of five has now become a family of four “adults” and one child. My vacation cost has become exponentially higher.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

LOL, I had to laugh at your "the dreaded family of 5" remark!
My daughter has the dreaded family of 5 problem at disney, or at least did have when the kids were younger.
They ended up getting one room at POR in the bayou area. It came with 2 queens and a pull out bed. It worked pretty well for them, as the room was secondary to the pool and parks. Personally, I think the family suites sound pretty good.

Upvote 0

yensid67

K, having planned 'a few' trips for others, I want to offer my advice about off site staying...I'M ALL FOR IT WHEN SAVING MONEY IS A NECESSITY! And with more than 4 going and staying togeher, staying on Disney property IS EXPENSIVE, even in those VALUE's that are not values at $125+ PER NIGHT!
I have planned vacations for others, usually 2 or 3, and the costs are soo extremely lower than Disney prices!
HERE'S WHAT I FOUND FOR FAMILY OF 5 'ADULTS'(so obviously if your kids will have lower ticket prices!)...
Disney 4 Day+1 FREE Day....$2287.50
CALRION LAKE BUENA VISTA....$539.62( may need to get roll away for 5th)
RENTAL CAR OLD TOWN....$275.60
AMTRAK COACH....$1250.00

TOTAL FOR 5....$4352.72

NEED HELP FOR SOME OFFSITE PLANS, MESSAGE ME!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cadbury

I can’t help but want to look at off site resorts, but I’m afraid to even broach the subject with my wife.
Nothing wrong with staying off property. You can get yourself a nice room/suite for far less than what you would pay to stay @ Disney. I'm familiar with the phrase "happy wife, happy life" but there are times when we just need to put our foot down and stand up to them. lol

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom