The Downtown Disney Thread

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
This thread will discuss all construction/redevelopment going on at DTD. Please no politics.

I’ll start out with some photos from the reopened second floor of Naples that added an upstairs kitchen, removed the decorations that would fit in Sunshine Plaza, and have removed most of the upstairs outdoor patio.
29707B4B-72DF-42DA-BD64-CA5D2F5453CA.jpeg
57276DCD-F6BE-4681-9B77-0FFEFA3CA03E.jpeg
95DB8C05-0A60-46D2-BE9D-E3896E5E3981.jpeg
8120BB86-1DB3-4917-B5FB-1FC731FB4538.jpeg
69FA87F4-D764-4199-AE31-96E834B663B2.jpeg
8BB1F9AD-FC43-470C-A964-ABC2CF6094BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Stevek

I think they did a great job on Naples. Ate there for the first time in a few years and the pizza was fantastic. I was not aware of this but the head chef was previously the head chef at Epcot's Via Napoli...which is just about my favorite pizza anywhere. This wasn't quite as good but was up there in quality for sure. I'm looking forward to what they pull of with the additional new eateries going in now.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
List of DTD projects that are not completed yet:

Unconfirmed Projects (Not confirmed by Disney or permits filed by Disney):
AMC Theater reopening
McDonald's cart on bridge (cancelled?)

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Some ideas I have for DTD West
-Indiana Jones Bar/ VR Complex: Bar takes up first floor and VR Experience takes up second floor
-Food Court: Somewhat similar to the complex formally at WDW's DTD that replaced McDonald's, but with larger chains
-WDP Sorry for stealing/borrowing your idea @TP2000! Would show vintage Disney movies.
Alt. Idea: Get some hipster cinema chain to take over the theaters.
-Starbucks Expanded: Starbucks would expand in the DVC spot for expanded seating
MAP
SWLNMC.jpg

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Interesting pics. I love the lights. The hand wall is a little creepy.
I have to say I like most of the improvements, I love the new outdoor patio and bar, I love that they’re adding another kitchen and adding more pizza ovens, and I really like the new lights. Though I’m worried that this will become dated again in a decade, though there’s nothing as stupid as the cherubs in sunglasses in the redesign.

TP2000

Some ideas I have for DTD West
-Indiana Jones Bar/ VR Complex: Bar takes up first floor and VR Experience takes up second floor
-Food Court: Somewhat similar to the complex formally at WDW's DTD that replaced McDonald's, but with larger chains
-WDP Sorry for stealing/borrowing your idea @TP2000! Would show vintage Disney movies.
Alt. Idea: Get some hipster cinema chain to take over the theaters.
-Starbucks Expanded: Starbucks would expand in the DVC spot for expanded seating
MAP
View attachment 316997

I'm honored you remembered my Walt Disney Presents! theater idea. :)

I had a house full of company tonight, and wanted to reply earlier, and now I can't sleep and I have a few questions/thoughts for you...

What is the Wreck It Ralph VR thing you mentioned? I loved that movie, but missed that it was going to be a VR thing. Is it replacing the Star Wars VR at The Void?

I don't know that you could convince Imagineering that the 1990's Cheesy Themed Dining! aesthetic of Rainforest Cafe could be salvaged for an Indiana Jones experience that would stand up to 21st century tastes. I honestly think the kindest thing you can do with the Rainforest Cafe facility, now that it has been stripped of all furnishings and kitchen equipment, is to bulldoze the thing and put the 1990's into the history books. Turn that space into an green Event Lawn that hosts seasonal events, bands, rotating exhibits, etc.

And finally, the Food Court. I would love for Disney to tap into the local zeitgeist and culture and offer up a Food Hall like the one in Anaheim's Packing District, the Packing House. An eclectic, hip, non-corporate collection of fresh food and fresh ideas. You could gut the interior of ESPNZone and fill it with six to eight different food concepts, with a communal dining hall. The old Sports Book Bar could be turned into a Speakeasy like the Anaheim Packing House has, it's called the Blind Rabbit and my college aged nephew explained you have to Tweet them to get that day's secret password to open the door.

Turn the ESPNZone 1990's corporate barn into a hipster Food Hall like the Anaheim Packing House...
MG_1682.jpg

Fill it with a collection of fresh, fun, upscale yet informal walk-up dining concepts.
inside-packing-district-anaheim.jpg

The local man who developed the Anaheim Packing House, Mr. Sadeghi (sp?), also developed The Lab in Costa Mesa. Mr. Sadeghi is a local, and I know investors who have worked with his real estate developments and he's a brilliant young guy who knows instinctively how to develop stylish and relevant spaces that have instant credibility and immediately attract huge crowds of big-spending locals.

The Lab- Costa Mesa, developed by the same man who created the Anaheim Packing House.
o.jpg

habana.png

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster

I had a house full of company tonight, and wanted to reply earlier, and now I can't sleep and I have a few questions/thoughts for you...

What is the Wreck It Ralph VR thing you mentioned? I loved that movie, but missed that it was going to be a VR thing. Is it replacing the Star Wars VR at The Void?
“Ralph Breaks VR will put you inside a new multi-sensory Disney adventure where you’ll be immersed in the worlds of the internet and online gaming with Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope.” And, yes it will replace the Star Wars VR at the Void. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...y-universes-ralph-breaks-vr-debuts-fall-2018/

I don't know that you could convince Imagineering that the 1990's Cheesy Themed Dining! aesthetic of Rainforest Cafe could be salvaged for an Indiana Jones experience that would stand up to 21st century tastes. I honestly think the kindest thing you can do with the Rainforest Cafe facility, now that it has been stripped of all furnishings and kitchen equipment, is to bulldoze the thing and put the 1990's into the history books. Turn that space into an green Event Lawn that hosts seasonal events, bands, rotating exhibits, etc.

And finally, the Food Court. I would love for Disney to tap into the local zeitgeist and culture and offer up a Food Hall like the one in Anaheim's Packing District, the Packing House. An eclectic, hip, non-corporate collection of fresh food and fresh ideas. You could gut the interior of ESPNZone and fill it with six to eight different food concepts, with a communal dining hall. The old Sports Book Bar could be turned into a Speakeasy like the Anaheim Packing House has, it's called the Blind Rabbit and my college aged nephew explained you have to Tweet them to get that day's secret password to open the door.

Turn the ESPNZone 1990's corporate barn into a hipster Food Hall like the Anaheim Packing House...
MG_1682.jpg

Fill it with a collection of fresh, fun, upscale yet informal walk-up dining concepts.

The local man who developed the Anaheim Packing House, Mr. Sadeghi (sp?), also developed The Lab in Costa Mesa. Mr. Sadeghi is a local, and I know investors who have worked with his real estate developments and he's a brilliant young guy who knows instinctively how to develop stylish and relevant spaces that have instant credibility and immediately attract huge crowds of big-spending locals.

The Lab- Costa Mesa, developed by the same man who created the Anaheim Packing House.
o.jpg

habana.png
Thanks for the feedback! The Event lawn sounds like a wonderful idea. And I really like your idea of a hip food court, especially The speakeasy.

Stevek

MG_1682.jpg

o.jpg

habana.png
The lab developer is supposedly developing something here in Corona in our dilapidated Main Street area. That will be a tough challenge.

Phroobar

MG_1682.jpg

o.jpg

habana.png
You keep saying that word hip. Disney doesn't know what that word means.

Disney just lucked out that Disneyland is currently hip without anything they did. DTD is pretty fugly now. I would love to see some of these concepts done there.

SSG

Just saw this on Twitter: "UPDATE (10/1/18): After a brief delay, Earl of Sandwich’s Downtown Disney location reopened around noon today according to the OC Register. Apparently, the restaurant was awaiting some last-minute health department approvals before it could open its doors. Company spokesperson Amy Sadowsky told the Register, “We are absolutely delighted to be back and we’re looking forward to reconnecting with our loyal customers,” adding, “We are looking forward to being open as long as possible.”"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom