The Disneyland Casting-Couch Gag

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
The Daily Beast has published a fascinating story about a rather risque sign that once appeared in HPB at DCA that jokingly referenced the infamous Hollywood "casting couch". No one seems to know when the sign was removed. Does anyone here remember it?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-disneyland-casting-couch-gag-you-wont-believe-existed

Please keep this discussion focused on the joke, as well as other puns at Disney Parks, and their appropriateness for Disneyland. This is not a topic to discuss rape culture in general, or sensitive issues unrelated to Disney Parks.

Phroobar

CIMG2453.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

This was something few people noticed and at some point someone realized it was a bad idea and needed to go, but I don’t recall when. It was up for several years though, at least through 2008.

mickEblu

It's funny and all but in all honestly it's another example of how misguided DCA 1.0 was. They wanted it to be the "adult version" of Disneyland so bad that they even put it in hidden / sex jokes. DCA 1.0 needs to be a class in business school for what NOT to do. Or at least a chapter in a book. How could a huge company like Disney not understand who their target audience was? They seriously thought like 3 rides, a few shows, a phallic symbol and mediocre food was going to draw in a new adult market? I know hindsight is 20/20 but...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
DCA 1.0 needs to be a class in business school for what NOT to do.

To your point I think it would make an excellent session on the pitfalls of not staying true to your brand. Disney Parks must understand that in a million years of trying it will never ever be "hip and edgy". It will also never be good at predicting the future or making a decent pizza or a good cup of coffee. The parks are so much better when they stick to what they do best without pretense ("A living blueprint of our future!" :rolleyes:) and do it in a way that is authentic and genuine.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Can we get some Philz coffee at the parks? Do you have any in the Bay Area?

:jawdrop:

Umm... how did you not know that Philz began in the Mission District of San Francisco? I'm about to get all kinds of San Francisco elitist on you right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom