Pre-Trip The Disney Onion (now with more layers aka February)

I have been visiting WDW magic now and again over the years. Mostly when I would hear some news or a rumor, I would google it and it would lead me here. However, when we began planning our Christmas 2018 trip, with the extended family, and we got the free dining plan, I knew it was time to call in reinforcements. We had never done the dining plan. Never ever in all our years and all our trips. We rarely even made ADR’s. I needed help so I googled disney dining plan. And it sent me here. I feverishly started taking notes about where we should or shouldn’t eat to get the most bang for our buck. I spent hours researching what snacks would optimize the use of a credit. Then I got a grip and remembered the dining plan was FREE.

I started purusing the rest of the forum and what I found was terrifying! These people, why, they didn’t even like Disney! They criticized it and each other. It seemed so very unmagical (to quote katiebug). Then I read a trip report and another, then another. To be honest my FIRST response was, “no! You are doing it all wrong!!!” But then I realized, I found my people. These were the true Disney fans.

Now I am ready to contribute. “But who are you”, you ask. Well....I was born and raised in southern California to a Father who lived through the depression and a Mother from the mid west. Translation: there were no vacations...ever. We would camp every now and again. Or drive to Vegas. “Where do you want to stay tonight”, my Dad would ask. Then that is the parking lot we would pull our camper into. So glamorous! I never knew what a hotel room looked like until prom....er.....that’s another trip report.
Our family did go to Disneyland 2-3 times a year and we did Disneyland hard core!!! Yep, we got our moneys worth!
College found me back East where I met my husband. As luck would have it, he also enjoyed Disney. As more luck would have it, my sister, while at school in Houston, met her future husband who was from Florida. After graduation they moved back to Florida for law school. So now my boyfriend (husband) and I had an excuse to visit Florida. And visit we did!

But how did this trip come about? With in-laws and all? And at Christmas? Well, for that we need to peel a layer of the onion. Picture it, Christmas eve 2010, my Mother in law’s dining room table. She had always loved Christmas. When my husband and his brother were small she would get them EVERYTHING on their list, then, because she was so excited she would have them open all their gifts on Christmas eve. Then the Aunts, Uncles and cousins would come over for the feast of the seven fishes.
So here we sat chatting after the presents and the feast and the fun. (more onion) In 2008 my husband and I had become DVC members. Our first order of business was to take the entire family to AKL. We got a grand villa and who was staying down the hall from us? None other than Mr. Bob Iger himself. (Our room was nicer as I may have poked my head in his while it was being cleaned). It was a great trip and we all had a ton of fun.
With a little trepidation I asked my MIL if she would want to go to Hawaii for Christmas the following year. I explained how we would have enough points for a grand villa for 4-5 nights. She squealed and said yes. She did not check with my FIL. She did not ask my husbands brother or wife. She said yes so it was a yes. We were going to Hawaii!!!
Two weeks later she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer...

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
We realized we had to adjust and Aulani was switched to WDW.
MIL was doing well all fall long. But about a week before our trip she was hospitalized. She died two days before we were suppose to leave. That Christmas was awful, as was the next. My husband and I decided “enough”! We made Aulani plans for all 11 of us. But the in laws cancelled. We went without them and had a ball!
Since then we travel every other Christmas. (We prefer experiences rather than stuff.) We always invite the inlaws but they never come. Or worse, they say yes yes yes then cancel. So when my sister inlaw suggested we go to WDW for Christmas I was like “yeah, sure”. I thought for sure they would cancel and I didnt want to use our DVC points, especially since every other February we travel with friends and feb 2019 we decided on WDW.
I was put in charge of the details and started looking for cash availability, which I hadn’t done in years. I found AKL with free park hoppers (we never do!) and free dining (also never do). Then, my FIL said he would pay and Merry Christmas!!!

Here we are last December at the tree in NY:
44E57F8F-07BF-4B29-915F-1F9510587454.png

My two nephews, my niece, my three sons, my sis n law, bro n law, husband and me.

And my FIL, or Gpa with the grandkids:

138C14E0-D48F-48B7-A7CF-03E091D480F9.png

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I’ve beaten the why to death, how about some when

The when is another layer of this onion, I mean trip. We originally booked Sunday 12/23 through Friday 12/28. This would allow us some cushion for our trip down. My Dad lives down in Florida so I always want to see him. Jet Blue had flights out for December but they were so expensive so we decided to wait for
0903C1CC-A964-457E-85B1-BDFDBFA0DC22.png

Yes. Good old southwest. It flies out of our local airport direct to MCO. The day the flights went on sale I called as soon as apple said it was 7:00. (We are doing group reservations so I needed to call). I got the recording “we open at.....”. I hung up and quickly hit redial. “Thank you for calling....wait time is 45 minutes”.
What?😱
I wish. After over an hour on hold someone finally answered but all the flights were sold out at the cheap price. $500 each (one way) was NOT in the budget!!

I was able to get a really cheap airfare for the return so I booked it.

We pondered. We planned. We plotted.
Driving is an option. We have done the 17 hour drive plenty of times. The way down is easy. The way back is hard but we had airline reservations for the way back so no brainer right? Ha ha!
My SIL did not want to drive straight through. “Ok, don’t. We will need to take two cars anyway”.
Finally my FIL made the call, “WE FLY”.
I thought outside the MCO box and booked us a cheap flight Friday night into Tampa. Under budget😎

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
More when and some where:

We land late Friday night and check into a Hilton Garden Inn near TPA. Then bright and early Saturday morning my fam and FIL will make the 3ish hour drive to Vero Beach to see my Dad for lunch. Sunny’s here we come!!!!
My BIL and SIL should be going to my SIL’s father’s favorite golf course to spread his ashes. He passed two years ago and she has been putting it off. I don’t think she is feeling it so we shall see.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
More where...

WDW trips take planning. Lots and lots of planning. I have compared it here to an onion. Just when you get through one layer you find another, and another. Another good analogy is Tetrus! My MIL loved tetrus...maybe I should rename this thread....naaaa, I don't know how to. LOL but serious. help anyone???

I was searching for a hotel for Saturday night before our Sunday check in. It had to be close as we were planning on rope dropping MK. Then I remembered I had points left over. I did not use as many as I had planned on for our Feb trip with friends as both of our oldest (eldest??? again help!) are away at college. I tried AKL. Booked. So where do you go when all else is booked?
Saratoga Springs!!! But they only had 2 studios left. I nabbed them and also a one bedroom. Whoo Hooo! Bonus WDW night!!!

Next: some ticketing tricks I learned right here and how they almost did not work for me :(

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Another good analogy is Tetrus! My MIL loved tetrus...maybe I should rename this thread....naaaa, I don't know how to. LOL but serious. help anyone???
On the far right at the top of the page there is a Unwatch box. Next to that is a box with …(down arrow). Click on this box and then click Edit Thread. You can then change your title.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
On the far right at the top of the page there is a Unwatch box. Next to that is a box with …(down arrow). Click on this box and then click Edit Thread. You can then change your title.
Thanks. What if I want to edit an individual post? For example if in an hour from now I realize I forgot to capitalize “I” ( which I did on purpose btw) can I come back and fix it?

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thanks. What if I want to edit an individual post? For example if in an hour from now I realize i forgot to capitalize “I” ( which I did on purpose btw) can I come back and fix it?
At the bottom of your text box are Report Edit Delete. Click Edit, make the change you want and make sure to click Save.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The tickets...

One day, on this site, someone (don’t remember who) was giving some ticket info/advice. He/She said that you can take your tickets from a package and pay more to have them turned into an annual pass at guest relations.

E6EDCB5F-F42D-4F7A-9B86-A53C730FAA65.png

Since we have a trip planned in February I did the math. With the DVC discount, and the fact that my FIL was paying for the December tickets, we had to do it. Done. Settled. End of discussion.

Then, (there is always a then!) I realized I needed to make Feb fastpasses on Dec 18th. We wouldn’t even have our AP’s yet. Now if it was just my family I would not sweat it. I would have made the fastpasses on the 22nd when we purchase our AP’s. However, we are traveling with another family and they are counting on me to “do my thing” (which does not happen for a party of 9 on day 56).
Long version or short???
Short
DVC wouldn’t help because my package was cash.
Customer service wouldn’t help because my AP will be DVC discount.
I knew there was a way it could be done but I had to find someone high enough on the food chain.
I sent an email. Actually, I accidentally sent it twice. First response “nothing we can do”. Second response from a different CM, “purchase your feb tickets then use them and Dec tickets toward purchase of AP’s”
Wow, simple. Too simple! I replied asking about the money Disney would owe me. The rep told me oooops he made a mistake, however, he met with the escalation team and they created a special one time code just for me to allow both trips to be applied towards the AP.
So a happy ending! (Fingers crossed lol)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I would like to officially welcome you to the Trip Report thread, where everyone is happy and helpful! :happy:

I hope you'll do a trip report. I'm curious how everything will go with the extended family. You should read @fractal last extended family trip report. Very entertaining.
@fractal is one of the first trip reports I read. The pictures!!! Breathtaking!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Some stinky news:

My middle son, 15 last week, broke his foot playing football in September. Actually, he broke it playing lacrosse in April but we didnt realize. When he complained of foot pain we bought him new cleats and he seamed to be fine. No pain.
2D36C8C4-DD5B-406E-91A1-3A27AFCD7F3F.jpeg

He had a doctor’s appointment today. I was hoping he would get the boot off and be able to start physical therapy so he would be ready for our trip. No such luck. Not only is he still booted and non weight bearing but the Dr wants him to be booted and non weight bearing for Disney as well.

Now to start the “knee scooter in the parks” research.

Zipadeelady

@fractal is one of the first trip reports I read. The pictures!!! Breathtaking!!!
I think everyone will agree with you!

Some stinky news:

My middle son, 15 last week, broke his foot playing football in September. Actually, he broke it playing lacrosse in April but we didnt realize. When he complained of foot pain we bought him new cleats and he seamed to be fine. No pain. View attachment 331498

He had a doctor’s appointment today. I was hoping he would get the boot off and be able to start physical therapy so he would be ready for our trip. No such luck. Not only is he still booted and non weight bearing but the Dr wants him to be booted and non weight bearing for Disney as well.

Now to start the “knee scooter in the parks” research.
If it's not the husbands, it's the kids :rolleyes: ...... :hilarious:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
And look what just came! My friend made them. One for each of us. The initials on the sleeve are my MIL’s. The purple is for pancreatic cancer. The other sleeve has our initials so we can tell whose is whose. These will be a gift from Santa 🎅🏼 So shhhhh.....
CA67E586-5F5A-4083-A9A8-9B0621B28A90.jpeg

amjt660

Premium Member
Enjoying the PTR
I hope you do a TR when you get back
And you never know
We might see each other!!

But I will need know who is going and try to study a good picture
The one in nyc is hard to tel who is who!!

Max

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Enjoying the PTR
I hope you do a TR when you get back
And you never know
We might see each other!!

But I will need know who is going and try to study a good picture
The one in nyc is hard to tel who is who!!

Max
Ha ha!
Look for the sweatshirts! And my son on the knee scooter. You don’t see those everyday!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The schedule:

Recently my 22yo nephew said his friend would be at WDW the same time as us and asked if I had any idea what our schedule was like. (So young and unexperienced to WDW). I brought over our schedule, set up in an easy to read calendar form, hour by hour from 6am to 1am. They laughed at me! “You scheduled groceries?”, taunted my niece.

You people won’t laugh.

Friday 21st
Late flight to Tampa. Stay near TPA

Saturday 22nd
Up early to drive to Vero Beach to have lunch with my Dad.
Check into SSR
Go to DS to get AP (fingers crossed)

Sunday
MK bright and early
Lunch at “The Jungle” (the drink menu looked yummy!)
Check out SSR
Check in AKL Jambo

Monday
Epcot
lunch at San Angel Inn
5:00 Candlelight processional

Tuesday
Merry Christmas!
Taking the day “off”
Presents, DS, gawk at the gingerbread house etc
5:15 Spirit of Aloha

Wednesday
Hollywood baby!
Leaving earlyish to get to a 5:50 dinner at the Wave
Then
DVC Fireworks cruise-this is a suprise! My SIL knows and my husband saw the bill but doesnt really know.

Thursday
Animal Kingdom
And yes we have FoP FP’s

Friday
Check out
Lunch at Homecomin
Late flight home

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom