Pre-Trip The Disney Onion (now with more layers aka February)

I have been visiting WDW magic now and again over the years. Mostly when I would hear some news or a rumor, I would google it and it would lead me here. However, when we began planning our Christmas 2018 trip, with the extended family, and we got the free dining plan, I knew it was time to call in reinforcements. We had never done the dining plan. Never ever in all our years and all our trips. We rarely even made ADR’s. I needed help so I googled disney dining plan. And it sent me here. I feverishly started taking notes about where we should or shouldn’t eat to get the most bang for our buck. I spent hours researching what snacks would optimize the use of a credit. Then I got a grip and remembered the dining plan was FREE.

I started purusing the rest of the forum and what I found was terrifying! These people, why, they didn’t even like Disney! They criticized it and each other. It seemed so very unmagical (to quote katiebug). Then I read a trip report and another, then another. To be honest my FIRST response was, “no! You are doing it all wrong!!!” But then I realized, I found my people. These were the true Disney fans.

Now I am ready to contribute. “But who are you”, you ask. Well....I was born and raised in southern California to a Father who lived through the depression and a Mother from the mid west. Translation: there were no vacations...ever. We would camp every now and again. Or drive to Vegas. “Where do you want to stay tonight”, my Dad would ask. Then that is the parking lot we would pull our camper into. So glamorous! I never knew what a hotel room looked like until prom....er.....that’s another trip report.
Our family did go to Disneyland 2-3 times a year and we did Disneyland hard core!!! Yep, we got our moneys worth!
College found me back East where I met my husband. As luck would have it, he also enjoyed Disney. As more luck would have it, my sister, while at school in Houston, met her future husband who was from Florida. After graduation they moved back to Florida for law school. So now my boyfriend (husband) and I had an excuse to visit Florida. And visit we did!

But how did this trip come about? With in-laws and all? And at Christmas? Well, for that we need to peel a layer of the onion. Picture it, Christmas eve 2010, my Mother in law’s dining room table. She had always loved Christmas. When my husband and his brother were small she would get them EVERYTHING on their list, then, because she was so excited she would have them open all their gifts on Christmas eve. Then the Aunts, Uncles and cousins would come over for the feast of the seven fishes.
So here we sat chatting after the presents and the feast and the fun. (more onion) In 2008 my husband and I had become DVC members. Our first order of business was to take the entire family to AKL. We got a grand villa and who was staying down the hall from us? None other than Mr. Bob Iger himself. (Our room was nicer as I may have poked my head in his while it was being cleaned). It was a great trip and we all had a ton of fun.
With a little trepidation I asked my MIL if she would want to go to Hawaii for Christmas the following year. I explained how we would have enough points for a grand villa for 4-5 nights. She squealed and said yes. She did not check with my FIL. She did not ask my husbands brother or wife. She said yes so it was a yes. We were going to Hawaii!!!
Two weeks later she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer...

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
And yet another layer...

As I have mentioned, we have a February trip booked with friends. Today we are 63 days out so fastpass day is right around the corner. It seems odd to be planning two big trips at the same time! I could/should do a separate pre trip report but....I don’t want to. So here it goes.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The When...
February 16-24
Our friends will be leaving on the 22nd.

The Who....
My husband, Ant. Two of our three boys, AJ and Dre. Oh, and me, Darstarr😎
A2A53CF2-B3C2-4E8F-99AB-A75D2F8E9CFD.jpeg

This is an old picture. Lets just say, I am now the shortest member of the family.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That is a photo of all 5 of us but my oldest will be at school so it will look more like this:
73393E8F-2398-42E1-83F4-FA2D73C8BD9C.jpeg

Our friends are El and J. Their oldest and X are the same age. He will also be away at school. They also have T (17), R (13) and the lone girl, H (11).
We travel every other February together and this will be our 4th trip. We get along great, no drama and the kids love having someone else to hang out with.

Our first trip together was a Disney Cruise in 2013. That went well so we did WDW in 2015:
DAB23868-D2D6-4DF4-88E2-843FC9E05461.png

And then a Royal Carribean cruise in 2017:
B6F0ECDF-A91F-4EA0-872F-26D172B4E977.png

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The where....

A little background:
J works nights so when he goes on vacation he likes to take it easy. The first time we went to WDW it was a very hard sell!!!
Last spring, we were at a fundraiser and he and I were chatting about vacation. He then said to me, “that Disney trip we went on was the most relaxing vacation I ever had.”

WHAT😳?????

Who says that? Relaxing and Disney World in the same sentence???

C64E38E6-CA8E-494F-BF9E-E5A97E7DF72F.jpeg

Epcot 2/2015
Cheers 🍻

Zipadeelady

:joyfull: I agree with you there. Disney and relaxing don't usually go together. I've only had one relaxing Disney vacation and it was because J and I went without the kids and did a lot of laying around the pool , eating and trying new drinks. :hungry:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The where continued:

Well, I looked him in the eye and said, “it took a lot of work to make your vacation so relaxing. “

So with relaxation on my mind I thought about where to stay. We have 9 so will not fit in a Poly Bungalow, but we will fit in a tree house villa!!

Picture relaxing nights on the deck, drink in hand, kids having a catch in the “yard”, steaks on the grill....
I booked it. Then E said they want to do parks everyday.
What?😳

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So this is odd...
Tomorrow is 60 days. Fast pass time but, I went on MDE to check everyone had their ticket assigned to them and what not, and it let me make fastpasses!!!
What gives? Not complaining! But hmmmm...

Nala06

Ha Ha
Definately will.
Another oddity: there were no fastpasses to be had for test track. Over a whole week, booking one day early.
Did I miss a refurb announcement??
I read elsewhere that you can make them in 2 person increments, but not more than that. Try breaking up your party and see if that works.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I read elsewhere that you can make them in 2 person increments, but not more than that. Try breaking up your party and see if that works.
I just tried that but Test Track didn’t even show as an option. Not even, sorry no mas!
Odd, but it’s no biggie!
Thanks for the suggestion though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom