The Disney Look is Changing

Tigger1988

How is a closely trimmed beard "dumbing things down"?

It's not a cult, the men can look different from one another within reason.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Not to sound like a Beard basher...I am not. My Dad has one ever since I was born, and I have had a fewmyself. Being said, I am sorry, but I just do not like it.

Disney sometimes will dumb down the guests meaning that Disney thinks the average everyday guest does not look at small details, sorry they do.

Point at hand, one of the earliest memories I have of WDW,( I was born same year in 71 that WDW opened) was noticing how the cast members looked. I remember asking my Grandmother once when I was about 7" Why do all the boys had short hair and looked alike?". Now I am not for cloning cast members, but thats what set Disney apart from other places.
Again, I am not saying a person is evil for having a beard, but I see nothing wrong with Disney keeping up strict grooming standards. So what, if the rest of the places in Orlando are lax, let them be, so Disney can offer a better product.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I am going to get bashed for being so old school.

Having everyone look alike is not necessarily a good thing.

I'm perplexed as to why people are all worked up over this. Nothing is being dumbed down- Disney is simply adjusting to changes in society. Back in 1955 when Disneyland opened, men wore suits with jackets while the women wore heels. Should Disney require its guests today to dress that way? Has society become dumbed down for no longer dressing up to go a theme park?

Tom Morrow

Point at hand, one of the earliest memories I have of WDW,( I was born same year in 71 that WDW opened) was noticing how the cast members looked. I remember asking my Grandmother once when I was about 7" Why do all the boys had short hair and looked alike?". Now I am not for cloning cast members, but thats what set Disney apart from other places.
That was also back when WDW was able to only hire attractive people for their on-stage roles... for what its worth.

Again, I am not saying a person is evil for having a beard, but I see nothing wrong with Disney keeping up strict grooming standards. So what, if the rest of the places in Orlando are lax, let them be, so Disney can offer a better product
"not being with the times" is not a better product.

Rob562

As a former CM and avid beard wearer I say it's about time.
Nothing like being a 25-year-old who looked 15 because of being forced to shave.

And before you say 'well you could have worked someplace else,' I knew that going in and I excepted it, because I wanted to work there.

I never did understand the mustache only policy. That's hardly a good look on anyone.

Cheers!

Join the club. I hate how I look without my goatee, and it was one of only two things keeping me from moving to Florida and working at WDW. Now it's just down to the money issue. ;-)

And I heard from an acquaintance in Entertainment that this policy will not apply to Entertainment CMs, or at the very least it will be on a case-by-case basis based on the role the CM is cast in.

-Rob

Duckberg

Disney wants quality CM'S & College Program participants. If facial hair is keeping them from getting said people so be the new policy. :D

octoberbarry

Well as a bearded (currently goatee'd) school bus driver who would like nothing better than to move there and become one of those 'rumor mongering Disney bus drivers', this a a great day.:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

DisneyTSC

The real issue: CM wages are not on a par with the surrounding area. WDW is being forced to lower its standards to find 50,000 people to work the resort. Tattoos are next ("tasteful" I'm sure, but it's coming).

I dont think Disney is having any trouble filling its open to hire.

ToTBellHop

I dont think Disney is having any trouble filling its open to hire.
Yes they are. That's the reason so many new CMs came from somewhere south of Florida and as a result are VERY difficult to understand. The only nice thing is that if those CMs happen to speak Portuguese, they can yell at the Brazilian tour groups and tell them to move all the way down the end of their row in the theater, stop taking pictures, stop talking, stop standing up, etc.

MansionGoer13z

I guess in some way, maybe the Taliban may of had a hand in this...Just saying. But it doesn't really bother me if men have beards, as long as they are well kempt and not a scraggely mess looking like Grizzly Adams.

PolynesianPrincess

This doesn't bother me in the least bit. As long as the facial hair is well groomed and not unruley, why does it matter? Times change, looks change... that's life. Disney is just keeping up, err, I mean catching up with the times.

amy2313

This may not sound like a big deal to some but personally I think it is disgusting; I say that not because of the actual facial hair but because this was a standard that Walt set for his employees and should NOT be altered. I understand times change but this is something that should not be. There are reasons Walt Disney set such high standards for his company and his employees and that should be respected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom