The Disney Live Action Remake Thread!

NateD1226

Original Poster
It seems like a lot of people have much to say about all the Disney live action movies/remakes. Since we shouldn't go off topic in other threads, we can discuss in this thread. This is NOT a place to post news about a live action movie. The news can go into its DEDICATED thread! Let's get chatting! To start off, why do people hate Maleficent? I actually really like it and can't wait for the sequel.

mf1972

my wife really liked maleficent. i thought it was so so. i guess i’m just used to the regular story of sleeping beauty. considering how it did at the box office, it doesn’t surprise me that it’s getting a sequel.
as for the live action remakes, i don’t mind them. it’s either you like them or you don’t.

Anders Limpar

Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella are fine movies. And by that I mean they are very plain. They were enjoyable but hardly memorable. The originals are far superior. Alice in Wonderland was just weird. I don't have any real desire to see any of the upcoming live action remakes.

RandySavage

The remakes are harmless (do no damage to the originals) and better than Disney producing 2-3 additional superhero movies annually in their stead. I actually find them interesting as an exercise in adaption, though I've only liked a few.

For those of us calling for more originality and fewer sequels/remakes out of the Studios... the unfortunate reality is the handful of 'originals' (still mostly based on an established book, character or idea) Disney releases every year are typically their box office duds (i.e., Nutcracker, BFG, Finest Hour, etc., etc.).

One live action remake I'd like to see is "Atlantis: The Lost Empire". I think a big budget period, Indiana Jones-style pulp adventure movie could be a a fun spectacle. "Atlantis", "Treasure Planet" and "Black Cauldron" are examples where a good live action remake could improve upon the low bar set by the animated original.

mf1972

i mentioned on another thread i think the last good movie burton made was sweeney todd. just my opinion

brb1006

First photo of the "Lady and the Tramp" remake from Disney's Investor Day webcast during a preview of Disney+.
AcB1tiz.jpg

Sir_Cliff

The word that sums up the live action remakes for me is 'forgettable'.

I understand why Disney makes them from a financial perspective, but they epitomise the kind of big summer film that comes out, rakes in the cash, and then disappears from the popular consciousness almost instantaneously. Perhaps I'm wrong about this, and films like the live action Beauty & the Beast will ultimately be as beloved as the animated originals. I suspect, though, that over time people will go back to watching the original as it's just a better film as the source of the nostalgia that inspired the remake.

I just saw Dumbo and that film didn't work for me on any level. Generally, though, I find them fine but less charming and engaging takes on the original films. In terms of the theme parks, I think Disney needs to be aware of the exact appeal of these films and avoid mistakes such as the Tim Burton Alice maze in Shanghai Disneyland's Fantasyland. That thing looks ugly, particularly compared to the version inspired by the animated film in Paris.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom