The DC Comics Film Thread

Princess Leia

Shazam! looks great, Aquaman looks like an underwater crossover of Thor & Black Panther (not that it’s a bad thing, but those were two things that crossed my mind while watching it). I know Shazam is a bit different in terms of the story, but it really looks like DC learned what people liked from Wonder Woman... except for whatever that Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie is going to be.

Warner Brothers/DC is going to have a busy 12 months. Aquaman comes out four days before Christmas, then Shazam! on April 5, then Wonder Woman 1984 on November 1. I’m sure this wasn’t planned, but I find it kind of funny that Captain Marvel and Shazam! will be in theaters at the same time.

Also, we now live in a world where there will be 2 major superhero movies with a female title lead in one year, and that is spectacular :D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They need to get the bat and krypton recentered...simple as that.

DC has always been more “star driven” than marvel. Hopefully some new creative direction and less emphasis of cranking out as much as possible pays more dividends.

ppete1975

I wonder if they could get christopher nolans guidance. I think nolans batman was the best dc has ever done. Wonder woman was good but nolans batman was real, dark, and gritty. And to me thats what dc is. Where marvel has always been lighter.

erasure fan1

I wonder if they could get christopher nolans guidance. I think nolans batman was the best dc has ever done. Wonder woman was good but nolans batman was real, dark, and gritty. And to me thats what dc is. Where marvel has always been lighter.
I'm not sure anything can really help DC. They are unwilling to do what needs to be done. From the start it's been about getting the movies out instead of being patient and developing. The best thing they could do, in my eyes, is just start over. Wait 2 or 3 years and start out with a new batman, superman... But unfortunately they will continue to patchwork this and try to fix it so you don't lose more ground to the MCU. Funny thing about Nolans batman is that it's the root cause of the DC problem. Nolan wanted a batman that was grounded in reality. All DC/WB had to do was make the movies have superpowers and things are set up very nice. But since they didn't, you had to re-establish the universe. And since they had zero patients to do it right, we got mediocrity at best.

ppete1975

I'm not sure anything can really help DC. They are unwilling to do what needs to be done. From the start it's been about getting the movies out instead of being patient and developing. The best thing they could do, in my eyes, is just start over. Wait 2 or 3 years and start out with a new batman, superman... But unfortunately they will continue to patchwork this and try to fix it so you don't lose more ground to the MCU. Funny thing about Nolans batman is that it's the root cause of the DC problem. Nolan wanted a batman that was grounded in reality. All DC/WB had to do was make the movies have superpowers and things are set up very nice. But since they didn't, you had to re-establish the universe. And since they had zero patients to do it right, we got mediocrity at best.
Iron man (science no super powers) cap america (steroids----stretching it a bit) black widow hawkeye ant man wasp falcon... no superpowers. They entertwine great with gods gamma spider bitten superheroes

erasure fan1

Iron man (science no super powers) cap america (steroids----stretching it a bit) black widow hawkeye ant man wasp falcon... no superpowers. They entertwine great with gods gamma spider bitten superheroes
True, but the Nolan universe couldn't have powers. You already took people like Bane, and instead of him having super strength, he was just a normal guy with a Tylenol mask... I'm not saying everone needs powers, Just that it was established there aren't powers. If batman started this universe, then they built onto it with superman, then you add the one decent movie they did in wonder woman, you have a grat start for BvS. There is a reason they started over, and it's because they knew they had to reboot it.

ppete1975

True, but the Nolan universe couldn't have powers. You already took people like Bane, and instead of him having super strength, he was just a normal guy with a Tylenol mask... I'm not saying everone needs powers, Just that it was established there aren't powers. If batman started this universe, then they built onto it with superman, then you add the one decent movie they did in wonder woman, you have a grat start for BvS. There is a reason they started over, and it's because they knew they had to reboot it.
I never thought about it that way. I guess i always looked at batman and his villains and supermans villians (outside of those from krypton) as not having powers. But i guess outside of gotham all the heroes do have powers. I really dont know if dc can do what marvel had with their characters (even if they are mostly direct ripoffs... as are marvels)

Princess Leia

I never thought about it that way. I guess i always looked at batman and his villains and supermans villians (outside of those from krypton) as not having powers. But i guess outside of gotham all the heroes do have powers. I really dont know if dc can do what marvel had with their characters (even if they are mostly direct ripoffs... as are marvels)
I think DC sort of had the right idea by starting their film universe with Superman. However- they did it all wrong. They made it a little too serious. In trying to replicate the Dark Knight trilogy, it was like they stripped Superman of what made him super. I didn’t see BvS, but I think I’ve read enough to get the jist of it, and it looks like they took the problems of Man of Steel then multiplied them by 10. Suicide Squad is where it got interesting. By trying to make a movie that was about an anti-hero/villain squad, DC then reshot it to make it more like Deadpool & Guardians, and then fit that Frankenstein of a movie into the gritty universe they created. That... did not work, at all, and I am verrrrry interested to see how DC uses those characters in upcoming films.

Wonder Woman mostly worked (that last battle scene is the one strike against a nearly perfect movie), and it gave a lot of people false hope about Justice League. JL should have been DC’s crowning achievement of 2017, but that title went to Wonder Woman (just as 2018 was supposed to be Infinity War’s year, but in America, the undisputed champion was Black Panther). Honestly, I’ve forgotten most of the plot to JL, but it ended with Superman on an optimistic note and that’s all I care about.

So, where does DC go from here? Well for starters, it looks like they’re taking a pause on both Batman and Superman and letting the other characters have a moment. Aquaman this Christmas, Shazam in April (Do we know if they renamed him to Shazam or is he still called Captain Marvel), then Wonder Woman again in fall 2019. I think Cyborg and Green Lantern Corps are coming out in 2020. I’m sure we would have heard about it by now, but a Justice League sequel would be a good thing to put on the timeline for fall 2021. Something to redeem DC of the first one, and it could also be the reintroduction of Batman into the series (with whoever replaces Affleck).

erasure fan1

Wonder Woman mostly worked (that last battle scene is the one strike against a nearly perfect movie), and it gave a lot of people false hope about Justice League
The funny part is that wonder woman is most like a marvel movie. It very much copies the beats of Captain America first avenger. They try so hard to be the anti marvel but the one time they don't, success.
Aquaman this Christmas, Shazam in April (Do we know if they renamed him to Shazam or is he still called Captain Marvel)
Did you see the trailer for shazam? It is just called Shazam and thats what he's called in the trailer as well. And surprisingly, it looks fairly decent. Aquaman I wasn't impressed with the trailer. I just didn't connect with but I can't put my finger on why.

Princess Leia

The funny part is that wonder woman is most like a marvel movie. It very much copies the beats of Captain America first avenger. They try so hard to be the anti marvel but the one time they don't, success.

Did you see the trailer for shazam? It is just called Shazam and thats what he's called in the trailer as well. And surprisingly, it looks fairly decent. Aquaman I wasn't impressed with the trailer. I just didn't connect with but I can't put my finger on why.
I did see the trailer, but I couldn’t remember what they called him, thanks for clarifying.

Aquaman and Mary Poppins will be battling it out this Christmas, so that alone should be interesting at least.

Princess Leia

It shouldn’t happen this way, but I’m guessing it will- Dad takes the son(s) to see Aquaman, Mom will take the daughter(s) to see Poppins

Princess Leia

Ben Affleck might still be involved with ‘The Batman’, but we don’t know if it would be in acting role or not yet. It will not be an origin story (taking a page out of Spider-Man: Homecoming’s book).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom