The DC Comics Film Thread

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think Marvel benefitted from allowing the audience to grow with the MCU. When it first started with Iron Man, it was manageable and accessible. Gunn’s rush into an interconnected multifilm universe seems like a missed opportunity for the DCU to do something similar.
I see what Gunn is doing as the thing you're asking for.

The DCEU rushed into a Justice League movie.

In the next three years, we won't even see the 'holy trinity' together. Superman and Batman and the Green Lanterns are walled off from any team-ups (except maybe from their own family/circle of allies). Wonder Woman's reappearance is at least four years away.

I see the "team stories" such as Commandos and Authority and Waller/Peacemakers to be the type of movies that introduced The Guardians of the Galaxy.

spacemt354

Chili's
And yet, it happens a lot in most "the timeline has changed" comics and Sci-Fi stories.

In the Flashpoint comics that this is all based on, some people are the same but now have different personalities because of different histories, and some are changed (e.g., Thomas Wayne is Batman).
This is different than comics. Right now you have a fractured audience. Some people love the DCEU, others can't stand it. Fair enough, so reboot it from scratch and allow the opportunity to grow with something new. But keeping around potentially half of Snyder's Justice League is not an indication that you're rebooting. Rather you're retooling some of what already exists and removing what Gunn personally doesn't like.

For its first 9 years (2008 - 2016) the MCU maxed out at two films per year and allowed time for the audience to grow. The Phase spanning announcements didn't start happening until near the end of Phase 2 in 2014 when the audience was already established and craving more.

If Gunn came out and said Superman: Legacy is coming out July 2025 as the start of the DCU, with The Bold and the Brave to follow, that would be enough for me to get on board. I'm not interested in retaining old characters or having to keep up with a bunch of shows right off the bat to get into the world.

_caleb

I see what Gunn is doing as the thing you're asking for.

The DCEU rushed into a Justice League movie.

In the next three years, we won't even see the 'holy trinity' together. Superman and Batman and the Green Lanterns are walled off from any team-ups (except maybe from their own family/circle of allies). Wonder Woman's reappearance is at least four years away.

I see the "team stories" such as Commandos and Authority and Waller/Peacemakers to be the type of movies that introduced The Guardians of the Galaxy.
Hmm. Hadn't looked at it that way. Maybe it's just that they have so many projects in the works that it seems like they're starting off too complex for me? I don't know. I do think the Big Three need a break, anyway.

Of all that Gunn announced, the thing I'm most excited about is Waller. Viola Davis is a fantastic actor!

LSLS

LOL, they have no movies out and it's already a cluster mess. Some movies coming are a part of it, others arent. Some characters remain, others going away.

DKampy

I don't know about that, I don't even know about the alleged bots stuff.

MoS, BvS and JS JL are up there with the best comic book movies of the last few decades for me. Better than the vast majority of Marvel films. Real-world discussions, people seem to really like them. I read online about them, I just don't really trust online opinions.

I have zero enthusiasm for Gunn's upcoming films. I liked the first Guardians. The second sucked. The Christmas special sucked. Suicide Squad was OK... Peacemaker was good. New Guardians looks bad.

Other DC stuff. The Batman was terrible. Joker was terrible. I honestly don't understand how people liked this films unless they are idiots. Joker was such garbage. Batman just walks around and looks at stuff. Then people explain stuff to him and he fails. Somehow that became a meme of him being a detective.

I can just say, the only thing I would be excited for is more of Snyder's stuff. I also think DC has shot themselves in the foot by clearly making it known none of the up coming few films matter and will be abandoned. It's sabotaging their success, to justify the change in direction. Which will fail, because they won't get a better Superman or Batman in the next round.
I must be an idiot as I liked The Batman and The Joker and I am excited to see what they do with Joker music oriented movie with Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
LOL, they have no movies out and it's already a cluster mess. Some movies coming are a part of it, others arent. Some characters remain, others going away.
It takes two years to put out a movie. So, of course the New Guard has no movies of their own making to put out for two years.

But they do have the mess from the Old Guard that's in the pipeline including one coming out in just 40 days.

So when you say they have no movies coming out but there are four coming out this year, with the second one starting to set up the new DCU, what you do mean by that?

And when you say there is a mess already, when they were only hired two months ago and it takes two years to get out a movie, what do you mean by that?

LSLS

It takes two years to put out a movie. So, of course the New Guard has no movies of their own making to put out for two years.

But they do have the mess from the Old Guard that's in the pipeline including one coming out in just 40 days.

So when you say they have no movies coming out but there are four coming out this year, with the second one starting to set up the new DCU, what you do mean by that?

And when you say there is a mess already, when they were only hired two months ago and it takes two years to get out a movie, what do you mean by that?
I never said they don't have movies coming out? And considering non-dcu movies are coming out as far away as 2025, I'm not giving a total pass there either. I say it's a mess just by looking at that schedule. You have a robin movie leading to the bat family at a time of another batman movie that's not connected, there are a few in your list you question if they Eben are part of this new universe (again, not ones coming out this year). I'll fully admit I've hated almost all the DC movies outside the dark knight trilogy, and Gunn movies are the bottom of the barrel in Marvel for me so I have some definite bias, but it looks like a mess to me just based on this limited info.

LSLS

Okay, but, I found this to be contradicting that...
Ok, I was meaning "No movies released yet" in my first statement, I guess you read that as they have nothing coming out. I was just saying that before they have even really started their universe it feels like a mess to me with some characters crossing, others not, some movies in it (yes, some of those are ones they were not a part of that they didn't cancel, but maybe some are? We don't know I guess), some out. Obviously plenty of time for them to clean it up, but I'm far from sold on Gunn, so I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt personally.

spacemt354

Chili's
I never said they don't have movies coming out? And considering non-dcu movies are coming out as far away as 2025, I'm not giving a total pass there either. I say it's a mess just by looking at that schedule. You have a robin movie leading to the bat family at a time of another batman movie that's not connected, there are a few in your list you question if they Eben are part of this new universe (again, not ones coming out this year). I'll fully admit I've hated almost all the DC movies outside the dark knight trilogy, and Gunn movies are the bottom of the barrel in Marvel for me so I have some definite bias, but it looks like a mess to me just based on this limited info.
This announcement to me is as if in 2007, Marvel started the MCU by saying this:

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (The Flash) will reset the MCU, but it won't be a full-reboot, some characters will continue. We also have Spider-Man 3 coming out (Aquaman II), and the door is open for Tobey Maguire to stay on as Spider-Man.

Then you start with Guardians of the Galaxy - Animated Series (Creature Commandos), followed by a Nick Fury TV show (Waller), and a Thor/Loki show (Lanterns)

Then the first film is The Incredible Hulk (Superman: Legacy), which will have a new Hulk, not the 2003 Hulk.

Then an X-Men: Origins (Paradise Lost) TV show will take place before the previous X-Men films.

Eternals (The Authority) will be a film that comes out after. Then Daredevil (Brave and the Bold) will come out while we also have a much darker version of Daredevil continuing on in MCU Elseworlds.

We also have an Adam Warlock (Booster Gold) TV show, as well as a She-Hulk film (Supergirl), and a horror film Werewolf By Night (Swamp Thing)

LSLS

I laughed at the flash trailer. Admittedly I'm not into their universe so a lot went over my head, but it made me laugh the end said something like "go to our website to see the whole trailer." Is that what the other movies are doing too? I had just sat down when that one came on.

erasure fan1

I laughed at the flash trailer. Admittedly I'm not into their universe so a lot went over my head, but it made me laugh the end said something like "go to our website to see the whole trailer." Is that what the other movies are doing too? I had just sat down when that one came on.
That's exactly what they did. Guardians did it as well.

Slpy3270

Wow, legit had no idea that was coming out so soon.
And it won't have enough time to leg out with The Super Mario Bros. Movie waiting in the wings. That one's all but certain to have a monster opening.

UPDATE: With Mario now opening on a Wednesday instead of a Friday, that's even less legging room for Shazam 2.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom