The DC Comics Film Thread

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The old DCEU is being replaced by the DCU: one cohesive universe

A principle of the DCE is to have the same actors play the character on film, TV, and animation (as much as possible).

The DCEU wind down leading into the DCU:
  • Shazam: Fury of the God, Mar 17, 2023 (has been separate from DCEU so far, so.. will it be in the DCU?)
  • Flash (resets the DCEU into the DCU), Jun 16, 2023
  • Blue Beetle, Aug 18, 2023 (part of the DCU)
  • Aquaman II, Dec 25, 2023 (part of the DCU)

DCU First Chapter: Gods & Monster
  • Creature Commandos
    • animated TV series, 7 episodes
    • written by Gunn
  • Waller
    • TV series
    • Viola Davis as Waller with the Peacemaker group
    • writers: Christal Henry & Jeremy Carver)
  • Superman Legacy
    • Film: Jul 11, 2025
    • written by Gunn
    • a more optimistic take
  • Lanterns
    • TV series
    • focusing on Hal Jordan and John Steward as earth-based police/detectives
  • The Authority
    • Film
    • based on Wildstorm comics of superheroes who go to extremes to impose order
  • Paradise Lost
    • TV series
    • Games-of-Throne–ish drama
    • takes place before previous WW films
  • Brave and the Bold
    • Film
    • Damian Wayne as Robin
    • leading to “Bat Family”
  • Booster Gold
    • TV series
  • Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow
    • Film
    • based on comics of the same name, a more pessimistic and jaded Supergirl
  • Swamp Thing
    • Film, horror genre
    • sorta disconnect from DCU, but not?

DC Elseworlds
Not in the DCU, but their own thing:
  • Matt Reeves' Batman (Part II, Oct 3, 2025)
  • Todd Phillips' Joker: Folie à Deux (Oct 4, 2024)
  • Teen Titans Go
  • The Penguin
  • Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Superman
  • Superman & Lois (renewed for 2 more seasons)
  • CW Flash (last season)
  • Anything DC that came before
  • Doom Patrol (last season)
  • Titans (last season)
  • Gotham Knights
  • Harley Quinn (renewed)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
damn that sucks. that person seems like a real creep
It seems (I am not a psychologist) that there were mental health issues there.

Once things started to go to court and criminal charges, and threats of being cut out of the film, it seems he's been getting the therapy he needs. Previously, there was news of wacky stuff every week. Things have been quiet for about half a year so far with the exception of consequences for things he did back then, like court proceedings.

J4546

I still think they should get rid of them, but I will also say I really didnt like the current Flash potrayal anyways. the whole Im awkward trope is just....I want all of that old DC stuff flushed and a brand new DC universe to start.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
How many years until it is announced Snyder will finish his Justice League? One, two, three years of this new DCU failing?
Snyder's works were not as successful or as well received as the SnyderBros on Twitter and a handful of Nerdrade YouTube videos would have you believe.

Remember when Batman v. Superman was trash talked by these same bros before Justice League bewitched them into thinking Snyder was their Superlord and savior?

Remember, there are *a lot* of comic fans out there who absolutely did not like a Superman or Batman who killed. Snyderverse is not universally acclaimed.

If Warner Bro Discovery is still under tight financial restrictions, they don't have the budget for giant swings with a director who has sometimes whiffed.

Besides, it was clear that the old guard, including the top of the company didn't want a Snyderverse, and the new guard doesn't want a Snyderverse, so then, Snyderverse is never coming back.

The #releasethesnyderverse only works once. Since then, the Twitter bros have been introducing dozens of hashtags that they got trending that amounted to absolute nothing.

Gunn is rebuilding with young B-list talent who are cheap and can be corralled into 5 picture deals. Cavill and Gadot are too expensive right now with WBD budget constraints.

Screamface

Snyder's works were not as successful or as well received as the SnyderBros on Twitter and a handful of Nerdrade YouTube videos would have you believe.

Remember when Batman v. Superman was trash talked by these same bros before Justice League bewitched them into thinking Snyder was their Superlord and savior?

Remember, there are *a lot* of comic fans out there who absolutely did not like a Superman or Batman who killed. Snyderverse is not universally acclaimed.

If Warner Bro Discovery is still under tight financial restrictions, they don't have the budget for giant swings with a director who has sometimes whiffed.

Besides, it was clear that the old guard, including the top of the company didn't want a Snyderverse, and the new guard doesn't want a Snyderverse, so then, Snyderverse is never coming back.

The #releasethesnyderverse only works once. Since then, the Twitter bros have been introducing dozens of hashtags that they got trending that amounted to absolute nothing.

Gunn is rebuilding with young B-list talent who are cheap and can be corralled into 5 picture deals. Cavill and Gadot are too expensive right now with WBD budget constraints.

I don't know about that, I don't even know about the alleged bots stuff.

MoS, BvS and JS JL are up there with the best comic book movies of the last few decades for me. Better than the vast majority of Marvel films. Real-world discussions, people seem to really like them. I read online about them, I just don't really trust online opinions.

I have zero enthusiasm for Gunn's upcoming films. I liked the first Guardians. The second sucked. The Christmas special sucked. Suicide Squad was OK... Peacemaker was good. New Guardians looks bad.

Other DC stuff. The Batman was terrible. Joker was terrible. I honestly don't understand how people liked this films unless they are idiots. Joker was such garbage. Batman just walks around and looks at stuff. Then people explain stuff to him and he fails. Somehow that became a meme of him being a detective.

I can just say, the only thing I would be excited for is more of Snyder's stuff. I also think DC has shot themselves in the foot by clearly making it known none of the up coming few films matter and will be abandoned. It's sabotaging their success, to justify the change in direction. Which will fail, because they won't get a better Superman or Batman in the next round.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
MoS, BvS and JS JL are up there with the best comic book movies of the last few decades for me.
But you're not the general audience. The majority of the general audience disagrees with you...

Well, Gunn isn't making all the new DC movies, in the same way that Feige himself isn't making all the MCU movies. It's about shepherding other talent to do their own thing... within the limits of a shared universe, of which, the Snyder movies weren't, amidst all the other WB DC movies.

Between all the Batman reboots including the current Reeves Batman, Superman reboots, Joker, and all the TV connected and disconnected shows, WB's caretaking of DC has been a disaster.

And Snyder wasn't in charge of it. He was tapped to direct three movies, not to be DC's Feige, tho, they were indeed attempting a shared universe centered around the Justice League. But WB continued to make DC movies outside that universe, including seemingly handing the reins over to The Rock in the power vacuum... which didn't end well.

And the Snyder cult on Twitter, which once derided Batman v. Superman, now hold it up as a masterpiece, simply because Snyder made it. (Black Adam has better ratings than BvS.)

And Snyder has had a mixed success with DC movies. He has a writing credit for Wonder Woman, which got high ratings and was financially successful. And he has a producer credit on Wonder Woman 1984, which got low ratings (and was released simultaneously on HBOmax, so, we don't know the real financial status).

To wit...
View attachment 686615

View attachment 686616

BvS got lower ratings than Black Adam!

And Man of Steel only got meh ratings.

_caleb

Seems very complicated. Gunn should reset with one good film before announcing a spiderweb of interconnected films/series/games/animation. Otherwise, if the first DCU film sucks, it's going to drag down everything else.

Taking it one step at a time would let them treat each new film as a reboot of the DCU until they get it right.

spacemt354

Chili's
Seems very complicated. Gunn should reset with one good film before announcing a spiderweb of interconnected films/series/games/animation. Otherwise, if the first DCU film sucks, it's going to drag down everything else.

Taking it one step at a time would let them treat each new film as a reboot of the DCU until they get it right.
Yep, very complicated.

So the Synderverse is 'gone' - yet Aquaman from the Snyderverse remains the same actor, possibly Flash, and also Paradise Lost takes place before the previous Wonder Woman films? Is Gal Gadot then still Wonder Woman? If so, that's half of the Justice League remaining the same.

I assume Waller will be a psuedo-sequel to Peacemaker and The Suicide Squad, or at least carry continuity, so is that still DCU canon too?

You need a successful start too so a lot of this is riding on Superman: Legacy's success. If it's a mixed review like Man of Steel, it'll be hard to get off the ground, but they aren't making it easier on themselves through this approach, imo.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yep, very complicated.

So the Synderverse is 'gone' - yet Aquaman from the Snyderverse remains the same actor, possibly Flash, and also Paradise Lost takes place before the previous Wonder Woman films? Is Gal Gadot then still Wonder Woman? If so, that's half of the Justice League remaining the same.

A few thoughts:

An alternate timeline can change some people but not others.

If there are other dimensions then the actors/characters that are no longer in the main DCU can reappear in multi-dimensional crossovers. Or, be their own continuing Elseworld franchise like Reeves' The Batman.

Also, Aquaman was its own successful thing before being drawn into Snyder's Justice League

I assume Waller will be a psuedo-sequel to Peacemaker and The Suicide Squad, or at least carry continuity, so is that still DCU canon too?
Apparently.

spacemt354

Chili's
A few thoughts:

An alternate timeline can change some people but not others.

If there are other dimensions then the actors/characters that are no longer in the main DCU can reappear in multi-dimensional crossovers. Or, be their own continuing Elseworld franchise like Reeves' The Batman.

Also, Aquaman was its own successful thing before being drawn into Snyder's Justice League

Apparently.
An alternate timeline changing some main characters but not others is complicating things for no reason right from the start. If you're going to cut the umbilical cord from the 10 year Synderverse experiment, then do it all the way and don't look back.

Sure Aquaman in 2018 was a great success, but the character is tied to the Snyderverse. The plot of his solo film deals with the aftermath of Justice League

If The Batman can run concurrently with the DCU Batman, why not have the Momoa Aquaman continue on his own with DC Elseworlds?

_caleb

I think Marvel benefitted from allowing the audience to grow with the MCU. When it first started with Iron Man, it was manageable and accessible. Gunn’s rush into an interconnected multifilm universe seems like a missed opportunity for the DCU to do something similar.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
An alternate timeline changing some main characters but not others is complicating things for no reason right from the start.
And yet, it happens a lot in most "the timeline has changed" comics and Sci-Fi stories.

In the Flashpoint comics that this is all based on, some people are the same but now have different personalities because of different histories, and some are changed (e.g., Thomas Wayne is Batman).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom