The DC Comics Film Thread

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

dumpster fire.gif

I was so looking forward to a Joker Riddler Penguin alliance in The Batman sequel. They have set that up perfectly. But now all this shakeup going on with DC WB, I am worried. They say the sequel is still a go, but pushed back. Still concerning what all this mess will do to the project.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I was so looking forward to a Joker Riddler Penguin alliance in The Batman sequel. They have set that up perfectly. But now all this shakeup going on with DC WB, I am worried. They say the sequel is still a go, but pushed back. Still concerning what all this mess will do to the project.
As soon as they find their Keven Feige!!

In the meantime, one can join in with the very toxic Twitter fandom fighting over officially canonizing the Snyderverse and nerdragingly rejecting anything that isn't done by Snyder himself, which includes toxically demeaning anything that wasn't done by Snyder.

Apparently they want Snyder to personally produce every DCEU content and for him alone to produce such content at the rate that Marvel is putting out content. That's all.

In the meantime, one can join in with the very toxic Twitter fandom fighting over officially canonizing the Snyderverse and nerdragingly rejecting anything that isn't done by Snyder himself, which includes toxically demeaning anything that wasn't done by Snyder.

Apparently they want Snyder to personally produce every DCEU content and for him alone to produce such content at the rate that Marvel is putting out content. That's all.
I hate the online bickering. I loved the Nolan trilogy, I'm excited to see where Matt Reeves takes The Batman.
As long as we're getting good material, who cares who's behind it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I hate the online bickering. I loved the Nolan trilogy, I'm excited to see where Matt Reeves takes The Batman.
As long as we're getting good material, who cares who's behind it.
A post like that on Twitter would get you hounded off of all social media. And a brick through your window.

Add in praise for anything DC that James Gunn has done and you'll be swimming with the fishes.

LSLS

Really? I mean, wonder woman was alright, but weren't the rest pretty meh-garbage?

I'll never understand toxic fandom or obsessive brand loyalty. I just want to have good movies come out, regardless of who's at the helm. These characters both in DC and Marvel are too timeless and complex to have just one cinematic universe imo. Let the different directors take creative liberty with the stories and run with it. Some might be a win for you, some might be a stinker. But different visions of these stories and characters benefit us as collective audiences if they're not harnessed. I don't care if we get ten new Batman reboots in my lifetime. If they're good, it's a win, regardless if there's no connection to past trilogies, etc.

Screamface

I'll never understand toxic fandom or obsessive brand loyalty.

It's such a tiny amount of people, but for whatever reason, it gets blown up and exploited by different people to push various narratives.

For whatever reason, current discourse in everything these days means pretending there's a giant group of terrible people who are doing something bad. Even if it's just a handful of people on twitter.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'll never understand toxic fandom or obsessive brand loyalty. I just want to have good movies come out, regardless of who's at the helm. These characters both in DC and Marvel are too timeless and complex to have just one cinematic universe imo. Let the different directors take creative liberty with the stories and run with it. Some might be a win for you, some might be a stinker. But different visions of these stories and characters benefit us as collective audiences if they're not harnessed. I don't care if we get ten new Batman reboots in my lifetime. If they're good, it's a win, regardless if there's no connection to past trilogies, etc.
Well, Warner Bros under ATT constantly hurt the DC brand with a lot of bad products (but with a few gems: Young Justice; Wonder Woman 1; Aquaman).

Warner Bros under Discovery is making things worse since Discovery doesn't have the deep pockets that ATT has, and took on too much debt in order to take control. And so, they are slashing budgets everywhere, leading to things like the cancellation of the Batgirl HBOMax movie and a lot of other products. It seems they don't want to expand Max's subscription base to make it profitable, but, just a depository of theatrical tentpoles... and merge it with Discovery+ which is way less popular, but profitable because of all its cheap (in both senses of the word) reality TV programming.

And the DC fans are broken into factions over which direction to go and constantly insulting the content that doesn't fall under the banner they've pledged their lives to. And Warner Bro Discovery, while dithering over finding their Feige, are leaving the fans in the dark to squabble amongst themselves. So, whichever direction the 'DC Feige' finally goes, there will be legions pre-hating it.

Meanwhile, the popular CW Arrowverse already established all DC content as canon with a multiversal crossover that could have been the answer to all this mess. But, they decided to sell off CW (because if you want to be a streaming giant, who needs content? <eyeroll>). And cancel most DC TV shows.

Not to mention the whole Ezra Miller/Flash debacle, which is supposed to set up a DCEU reboot to unify their superhero universe to be like Marvel.

Not to mention that Marvel is about to un-unify their MCU with the multiverse.

Not to mention that what you suggest, @Afterthought, is also happening: They are creating DC movies that are not connected to the DCEU (e.g., Joker, & the Pattinson Batman)... all the while wanting to have a connected cinematic universe.

Totally crazy.

With regard to toxic fandom, just check out the Disney Movie/TV forum on these boards. You'll see people hating on things... which ordinarily would be fine if that's their opinion... but, they don't post their thumbs down and walk away, instead, they keep arguing how much the thing they hate is bad and won't shut up about it. They have an obsessive urge to... I don't know, try to convince everyone to agree with them?

Toxic fans are the snowflakiest of snowflakes in that they can't bear the cognitive dissonance of not having everyone agree with them.

I dont follow Twitter, but I mean, if batting like 15% in DC means you are a savior, they are way worse off than I thought. Snyder cut being better doesn't make it good, it just makes it slightly less bad (which is offset by how stupidly long it is).

Yeah, here's how bad it is: Everyone made fun of how bad Batman v. Superman was (WHY DID YOU SAY 'MARTHA'?!!1), but now that Snyder is their DC Messiah, they're defending BvS to the death as one of the top tier superhero movies ever.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And Black Adam is being panned by critics (39% fresh, 51% score). While it's getting good reviews by the audience on RT and IMDB.

BUT... there's a clearly an online campaign by DC fans to up-bomb the online scores. As the IMDB indicator starts racking up tens of thousand of audience scores, it's slowly dropping.

Also, the CineScore is B+... which isn't as good as it sounds. This is especially true for a genre film with a popular star. You would think that the Friday and Saturday opening weekend audience would be huge fans and give the movie much higher marks... but they didn't. It's the same CineScore as Thor: Love and Thunder.

The Thor movie struggled to break even at the Box Office (which is eventually did). A B+ score usually indicates a movie will make 3 times it's opening weekend... but that won't be enough to be profitable at the Box Office. And the press of the poor critics' score doesn't help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom