The DC Comics Film Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think DC’s problem is they’re straying towards satisfying comic book fantasies with visuals instead of making blockbusters with comic book characters

Marvel has pulled that off…but now they go deeper into the realm of people know one recognizes.

mf1972

i didn’t even know there was a batgirl movie being made at all. haven’t read any of the articles as to why it’s been scrapped. if it’s a bad as JL then i understand.

mf1972

just caught the end of the story on NBC LA, but they’re reporting lady gaga confirmed she’ll be in the joker sequel

LSLS

That makes the Batgirl pull even weirder to me. You've spent the money already, you need cash inflow, why would you not release it?

lazyboy97o

That makes the Batgirl pull even weirder to me. You've spent the money already, you need cash inflow, why would you not release it?
Does any of this make sense? They’re intentionally cutting down the more popular streaming service so it can be merged into another much less popular service. The whole strategy seems to be built around personal favoritism to protect less successful work.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That makes the Batgirl pull even weirder to me. You've spent the money already, you need cash inflow, why would you not release it.

Batgirl was a made-for-HBOMax movie. So, it wasn't for a theatrical release. They would still have to spend money on finishing it with all the special effects. And, do some minor advertising. In the end, it would just be another piece of content on HBOMax. It would not likely bring in more subs. It's questionable if it would be good enough to keep people having a subscription who otherwise might have dropped their subscription. On top of that, made for HBO Max titles would create ongoing residual payments to the creators.

The real problem is that the new CEO doesn't understand Bob Iger did, that it was all about the brand. Warner Brothers under AT&T kept screwing things up with the DCEU. And now under discovery, they're doing even worse.

So, not only is there no brand loyalty but they're actively creating a toxic fandom for themselves.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
To add to the above, Iger also knew to keep good relations with talent. Something Chapek learned the hard way with the whole Scarlett Johansson fiasco.

Warner Bros. under ATT had toxic workplaces with toxic creators abusing the actors. And under Discovery, continue to show disregard for content creators and actors with the cancellation of Batgirl and a whole host of other HBOMax shows.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I've read that David Zaslav is asking for a complete audit of DC Entertainment before he lets the headsman's ax start swinging. Look for the Comics division to become a thin ghost of its heyday.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I've read that David Zaslav is asking for a complete audit of DC Entertainment before he lets the headsman's ax start swinging. Look for the Comics division to become a thin ghost of its heyday.
At this point, he should just sell off all things DC. It would raise money to service their enormous debt.

Clearly he doesn't care about it or understand it. He just wants to find a Feige clone to magically make it popular and a cash cow without understanding anything about it.

If it were up to him, he'd be spitballing reality shows featuring third tier actors models improvising DC characters.

Clearly Disney can't buy it without raising monopoly issues (plus, Disney has their own large debt to service before starting to M&A again).

Amazon and Apple have the cash to reinvest in the IP. And Amazon can then stop having to resort to shows that are thin parodies of DC and Marvel (oh, sick burn there, The Boys and Invincible!).

LSLS

Batgirl was a made-for-HBOMax movie. So, it wasn't for a theatrical release. They would still have to spend money on finishing it with all the special effects. And, do some minor advertising. In the end, it would just be another piece of content on HBOMax. It would not likely bring in more subs. It's questionable if it would be good enough to keep people having a subscription who otherwise might have dropped their subscription. On top of that, made for HBO Max titles would create ongoing residual payments to the creators.

The real problem is that the new CEO doesn't understand Bob Iger did, that it was all about the brand. Warner Brothers under AT&T kept screwing things up with the DCEU. And now under discovery, they're doing even worse.

So, not only is there no brand loyalty but they're actively creating a toxic fandom for themselves.

Oh, I thought the had changed it to a theater release as well, but maybe that was just speculation. It really is crazy to me how badly they have messed up DC.

Screamface

Oh, I thought the had changed it to a theater release as well, but maybe that was just speculation. It really is crazy to me how badly they have messed up DC.

Blue Beetle was moved from a HBO MAX movie to theatrical.

While you never can trust rumours around this stuff, there's some suggesting Batgirl tied heavily into a now scrapped plan for the DC films.

So it's entirely possible the need to re-writes and reshoots in order to make the film align with the new plan was the reason it got scrapped. Maybe it wasn't easily fixable. Something like Blue Beetle is currently in production, so any needed changes could be managed much better.

Aquaman 2 has a lot more riding on it and a lot more leeway in production time for them to reshoot the Batman stuff with Affleck back in the role.

Honestly, though, the idea of them replacing Affleck with Keaton was really bad. Having him in a multi-verse film, yeah ok I guess but a permanent change. Dumb in the way that you could imagine Hollywood executives foolishly thinking it was a brilliant move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom