1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

'The Dark Side of Disney' the documentary film

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by mergatroid, Nov 16, 2015.

1. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

Was shown this past weekend in Orlando. I realise many of the people behind it aren't exactly liked by Disney and have crossed the lines on numerous occasions, breaking park rules. However the idea behind it is rather fascinating as are some of the characters involved. I'll definitely be trying to get a dvd version of this shipped over to the uk at some point and the book is already of Santa's list for this Christmas.

On a side note there is bad language used in the movie and clips so best not let the little ones see or hear it (unless of course you swear like a trooper yourself in front of them, in which case you wont give a &#@+)

2. DisneyOutsider

DisneyOutsider Well-Known Member

So edgy :rolleyes:

3. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member Original Poster

I'm slightly concerned with the lady who's head of the Disney 'gang' in one of those clips. Bragging that her 13 year old son really believes she's a real Disney princess (unless he has learning difficulties, I find this really odd) and saying she only takes him there one day a year whereas she goes with her friends every week.

Corey P likes this.
  4. DisneyOutsider

DisneyOutsider Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about them other than the videos you just posted. If I'm to judge their work based on those videos, what they mean by "Dark Side of Disney" is really, 'Look at us we smoke and cuss and have tattoos and we love Disney too'. It doesn't look like they have any dark secrets to reveal or anything of that nature, which is what they suggest by titling their work as they do.

But like I said, I don't know much about them other than what you've posted. I was intrigued by the title, but their product was actually pretty boring, if not juvenile ('OMG lolz look at us we got off of the ride vehicle')

Sonconato, JourneysEnd and mergatroid like this.
  5. fox_198

fox_198 Well-Known Member

I read the book; it's an interesting read, if a bit nasty. Personally, I'm a fan, especially the part with Hoot. His blog was one of the things that really got me into loving the parks and specifically classic EPCOT.

6. mergatroid

Here's a review from Amazon

I'm intrigued by most things Disney though perhaps this isn't for everyone I'll admit.

7. Kiwiduck

Kiwiduck Well-Known Member

The lady in this clip said that her son has autism and finds Disneyland to be a sensory overload, that is why she only takes him once a year. She also said he had a very optimistic and naive view of the world which is why he could believe she was a princess. I thought it was a lovely story!

8. mergatroid

In that case it's nice, I agree. Sorry missed her saying about his autism.

9. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Don't forget Monorail Girl and Flash Mountain NOT SAFE FOR WORK or KIDS

Yes - I have the book and will be adding the video to the collection

fox_198 and mergatroid like this.
  10. mergatroid

:eek:

That was an interesting conversation that developed after Mrs Merg looked over at the screen whilst that played :oops:

tongaloosh and ford91exploder like this.
  11. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

I can imagine it was VERY interesting, Was it carried out on her part with a cast iron skillet :cautious::cautious:

The Empress Lilly and mergatroid like this.
  12. thomas998

thomas998 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I thought it was going to be talking about some of the very un-PC things Disney had done in its past... like the emphamis chasing leamings into the sea where they only went because the other option was getting crushed by a bulldozer... at least that was the story I remember hearing in the college biology class where we were told Leaming have never ever been seen jumping into the ocean outside of that film and then given the explanation of how Disney managed to make it happen.... That's the type of stuff I was looking for.

13. thomas998

thomas998 Well-Known Member

I thought it was child abuse. If you have a kid that you know can't handle the sensory overload of Disney why in the world would you take them there? If I had a kid that was afraid of water would you think it lovely if once a year I threw them into a swimming pool?

tongaloosh likes this.
  14. mergatroid

To be honest I've neither read the book or seen the film yet, those are just trailers I've posted. As pointed out though there's a story of lady who was filmed stripping on the monorail and then doing naughty things to herself along with a craze where ladies would take their tops off on Splash Mountain for the photo op. I believe Disney had to start vetting photos before displaying them for sale as a response this this.

You may also find 'the type of stuff you're looking for' in a book called 'The Mouse Betrayed'. I have this book and whilst there's a bit of sensationalist filler, there's also some quite bizarre stories about some surprising things at Disney. For instance a CM used to film female dancers undressing in the changing rooms in the castle. He was in the radio room above the changing rooms and made a video of them naked and even passed it round to other male cm's. There was also a fireman at the Disney Fire station who was allegedly sexually assaulted by other firemen and got a big out of court settlement to not reveal anything more. Stuff about a visiting Saudi princess who hired an entire floor at the Swan beating one of her aids who she thought had stolen jewelry from her collection. This woman was badly injured and off duty police officers working security had to smuggle her out to get medical attention.

Any of this appeals to you then you can purchase it here

tongaloosh and ford91exploder like this.
  15. SyracuseDisneyFan

SyracuseDisneyFan Well-Known Member

16. Schneewittchen

Schneewittchen Well-Known Member

So, has anyone actually seen this thing in it's entirety? What did you think? I can empathize with the dump Nana's ashes in the moat types....

I've read the book and have read a few other Disney-focused books published by the Bamboo Forest folks. Leonard Kinsey's fiction is so original and creative, I just wish he had a better editor.

17. lilclerk

lilclerk Well-Known Member

I actually donated to the kickstarter because I love a good documentary, and I was intrigued. Unfortunately, I found the end result a little boring. Some of the b-roll footage they used is great, though.

18. Nick Wilde

Nick Wilde Well-Known Member

19. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

The Hoot Gibson clip is so awesome. So awesome.

20. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

I love 'em so much. You know, I'd be in one thread foaming at the mouf over stupid tourists climbing out of their boats and walking all over Pirates' scenery when the ride breaks down, and in another celebrating Hoot and Chief, and I don't know how to reconcile all that. But still, I love what they did and would so gladly be in their shoes. Well Hoots... :lookarou

tongaloosh and fox_198 like this.