The Cosmetics/Beauty Thread

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
I mentioned starting this in the Chit Chat thread, and the reception seemed positive so I decided to go ahead with it :) tagging @figmentfan423 as well.

To start the conversation, this collection from Colourpop Cosmetics is coming out soon. What better way to start this thread than a Disney collection? Personally, I won't be buying it, because 1) i've never seen Hocus Pocus and 2) there's nothing from this that I'd be interested in except maybe the glitters.

1601170137875.png

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
I like this!

I have a bit of a cosmetics hoarding "issue", funny thing is I don't wear much makeup in my everyday life.

My favorite cosmetic are lipsticks. I miss wearing my staple red lip! 😷
Oh man, so do I! I just can’t pass up a good deal most of the time, especially if it’s something I’ve been eyeing. I probably have the most lip products but my favorites are eyeshadow. I do wear makeup fairly often, maybe 3-5 days a week. Mostly for myself, though I usually wear it if I’m going to work.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Oh man, so do I! I just can’t pass up a good deal most of the time, especially if it’s something I’ve been eyeing. I probably have the most lip products but my favorites are eyeshadow. I do wear makeup fairly often, maybe 3-5 days a week. Mostly for myself, though I usually wear it if I’m going to work.
I wish I were better at applying eyeshadow! I can do a decent cat-eye and a smoky-eye. I also enjoy watching tutorials on YouTube from time to time.

I forgot to mention I like highlighters too!

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
I wish I were better at applying eyeshadow! I can do a decent cat-eye and a smoky-eye. I also enjoy watching tutorials on YouTube from time to time.

I forgot to mention I like highlighters too!
It took practice for me to get better. A lot of days i’ll just put a shimmery shade on my lid and that’ll be it. Also I LOVE highlighter! I just got this one a few days ago:
1601233602084.jpeg
I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!! and saw Jefree Star's new concealer line and thought 50 shades of white. Can't relate lol
I saw the shades. Honestly so gross on how there is so much differentiation between lighter shades but the darker ones have very little variety. Concealer is so hard to match.
My all time favorite nail polish. Bellet slipper by DND, my perfect pink. Tagging in @93boomer and @MinnieM123
So pretty!!!
If anybody knows of any good gluten free products not just makeup please let me know. THNX
How do you tell if a product is GF? Will it say in the ingredient list? Is it wheat or something else?

Figgy1

Premium Member
@jyn erso I'd be on the bottom row of JS's shade range as if I didn't need another reason to buy his products and thnx about the color! It wasn't in stock for months and DND was having a sale when it came back in:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Anyone know what the shelf life is for cosmetics? Went through a drawer the other day and found about 8 lipsticks that I tried at one point, but didn't like how the colors looked on me. I was thinking of maybe blending a few of those rejects together, to somewhat create a toned-down hue. (Of course wearing a face mask, I rarely wear any color these days, but I was just curious if I could still use them, or if I should just throw them out?)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Anyone know what the shelf life is for cosmetics? Went through a drawer the other day and found about 8 lipsticks that I tried at one point, but didn't like how the colors looked on me. I was thinking of maybe blending a few of those rejects together, to somewhat create a toned-down hue. (Of course wearing a face mask, I rarely wear any color these days, but I was just curious if I could still use them, or if I should just throw them out?)
Toss the lipstick if it's much older than a year

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
Gluten is in wheat, oats barley and a few other grains. There's a certification process for being able to be marked as GF
I'll look through my favorites next time I do my makeup to see if anything has a GF certification!
@jyn erso I'd be on the bottom row of JS's shade range as if I didn't need another reason to buy his products and thnx about the color! It wasn't in stock for months and DND was having a sale when it came back in:joyfull:
It's honestly ridiculous. Fenty has had a decent shade range for how long now? And he criticizes other brands for the same thing!

What does DND stand for? I'm unfamiliar with that brand.
I know this probably isn't the BEST advice, but I keep cosmetics longer than their shelf life. As long as they don't smell off or perform weirdly, I keep them. Also that idea sounds so fun! I should do that with lip glosses I don't wear anymore...

Would you melt them down? if you heated them up to a certain temp, that should kill any bacteria.

This video might be helpful/entertaining:

Figgy1

Premium Member
@jyn erso thnx for checking. I use a lot of elf because their entire line is safe and they're cheap so I don't mind tossing if I don't use them before they go bad. Same for Essence mascara love the green lash princess. DND is Daisy DND it's a professional nail line but also sold to consumers. I had a bit of a melt down when nail salons were closed not having done my own nails in as long as you've been alive. I'll PM you a link if you want

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'll look through my favorites next time I do my makeup to see if anything has a GF certification!

It's honestly ridiculous. Fenty has had a decent shade range for how long now? And he criticizes other brands for the same thing!

What does DND stand for? I'm unfamiliar with that brand.

I know this probably isn't the BEST advice, but I keep cosmetics longer than their shelf life. As long as they don't smell off or perform weirdly, I keep them. Also that idea sounds so fun! I should do that with lip glosses I don't wear anymore...

Would you melt them down? if you heated them up to a certain temp, that should kill any bacteria.

Your video reminded me of I'm so basic lol.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That video was bizarre and yes, entertaining. Sometimes, I can't believe what people do with their time. ;)

Anyway, that aside, the funny thing was that after she melted down all those lipsticks and got one color -- I actually really liked the color! :joyfull:

I've rarely found a single color that works well for me. I've been blending 2 colors (one light, one darker) in similar shade groups, to achieve something that looks good. One time, my hairdresser even commented on a shade I was wearing, and I told her it was a blend of 2 colors. (I wasn't sure how that would go over with her.) However, she said, "There are no rules." In other words, mix, blend, etc., until you find a result that works best for you. (Note: She also did professional makeup for wedding parties, etc., so I respected her opinion.) :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, here's something new I heard about today -- gel makeup? (I found a description of all the different types of makeup in the attached article, if you're as confused as I was by the term.)

Of course, I still find it funny that I'm taking only 3 minutes a day now to put on any makeup, period (wearing a mask outside and all). ;) But, this is still a fun thread, regardless. :) Maybe it's the diversion we need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom