The Charm of WDW's Lost Attractions

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
For all of those old, long-since-gone, former WDW attractions that you personally may have enjoyed.....what was the appeal in them that makes you miss them?

World of Motion: I just liked that opening (outside) with the upward curving of the track into the building itself, still letting you have a view of Future World around you.

Horizons: I always liked the ability to choose your own particular ending (somehow offering more appeal than the one in the current Spaceship Earth ride).

Mr. Toad: The quicker, herky-jerkiness of the ride was more enjoyable than the lameness of Winnie the Pooh.

MK Skyway: It gave you some really terrific photo opportunities and was both a ride and means of transportation.

Maelstrom: It had nothing to do with the garbage that is "Frozen".

Snow White's Scary Adventures: The ORIGINAL ride was truly horrifying for a small kid....yet still fun. (Be sure to check it out on YouTube.) And it, too, is better than Winnie the Pooh.

Body Wars: May not have been anything but a slightly rethemed version of Star Tours, but it's still more enjoyable than the currently still-running Universe of Energy attraction w/Ellen Degenerate.

DisneyManOne

Although I could never experience it, I've seen videos on YouTube, and Dreamflight looked really cool.

The songs were catchy (I still have the ending song in my head); the visuals were pretty cool and I really loved the idea of an attraction at MK that has the DNA of an early Epcot attraction.

I also really love the accelerating percussion and growing music that plays as the vehicles enter the "jet engine".

ABQ

Although I could never experience it, I've seen videos on YouTube, and Dreamflight looked really cool.

The songs were catchy (I still have the ending song in my head); the visuals were pretty cool and I really loved the idea of an attraction at MK that has the DNA of an early Epcot attraction.

I also really love the accelerating percussion and growing music that plays as the vehicles enter the "jet engine".

I'll one up that with the earlier Eastern Airlines classic. Also chock full of catchy tunes
though the video is not much to see, but videography wasn't easy back in the day, I suppose.

NYwdwfan

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: First off - the lagoon was gorgeous. The view from the skyway was something I looked forward to every trip. As a kid there was the feeling of actually going deep under the sea - and as I got older there was the fascination with looking up and seeing the surface of the water. The ride itself was a complete and total escape from reality. I miss it - but at least we have something cool where it once stood - FINALLY - and not the insult of a cemented over lagoon with a kiddie play area.

1stWDW96'

Not to beat a dead horse but the Delta Dreamflight ride is one I miss the most. I rode it on my first WDW visit in 96' I was also lucky enough to ride Mr. Toads wild ride. Though they are gone I love the sense of Disney nostalgia.

KBLovedDisney

Horizons. When I saw this ride as a kid, it gave me such hope (corny, I know) just from the perspective of future possibilities of what may come, sort of like what the old Epcot of the 80s and 90s represented. Also, during the underwater sequence, the scene with the little girl looking out of the sphere window of the underwater city,...I kept thinking it was a restaurant outlook and that that was a real girl, kind of like looking out of the restaurant next to It's a Small World and watching the boats go by. Ah the imagination of a child :')

OliveMcFly

This was always my must ride. I didn't fly until I was 18 so this ride was like flying to me. Plus it had the great scenes of Paris and Japan.

M.T. LOTT

I would add Food Rocks, it was a fun corny parody. That being said I would be waiting in-line for World of Motion before anything else! I would also really like another ride on Horizons. I was young the couple times I went on it and only have vague recollection.

Just noticed my list is all Epcot

Simba's Mom

For all of those old, long-since-gone, former WDW attractions that you personally may have enjoyed.....what was the appeal in them that makes you miss them?

MK Skyway: It gave you some really terrific photo opportunities and was both a ride and means of transportation.

Exactly! Also, the reason I liked World of Motion is that I'm old enough to remember it from the 1964 World's Fair. So I like Universe of Energy so that I can still see the dinosaur munching on the grass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom