The CGI Paradigm Shift

britain

He’s at pirates and princesses now as a blogger if you want to say hi 🤣

@WDW Pro is also now saying there's a big plan to retcon the sequel trilogy's grumpy old Luke into a big fake out to protect slightly older Grogu.

To which I say:

1) It sounds like a ridiculous amount of effort to just add a few different shades of meaning to TLJ (instead of withdrawing from the Force out of discouragement, Luke has withdrawn from the Force to protect Grogu - and withdrawing from the Force will naturally put you in a funk).

2) It doesn't solve Rise of Skywalker's problems which are more convoluted than "I don't like Luke's attitude in Last Jedi".

3) It might sound like a Filoni revolution, but it's par for the course for Star Wars. ALMOST EVERY SINGLE STAR WARS FILM retcons what the previous film intended the story to be.

Empire: Decides to make Vader Luke's father, which wasn't the plan.
Return of the Jedi: Decides to make Leia Luke's sister, instead of another "another."
Phantom Menace: Decides to focus on little kid Anakin instead of Jedi hunter Vader.
Attack of the Clones: Decides to minimize Jar-Jar's role in the story.
Revenge of the Sith: No real adjustment here - just less and less Jar-Jar.
Force Awakens: Original Lucas treatments all thrown out.
Last Jedi: Left turn swerves all around.
Rise of Skywalker: Right turn swerves all around.

So while I feel this Mandalorian / Luke plan sounds bad, it's just typical Star Wars myth making.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And don't forget: Not all Force-users are Jedi. Jedi is an order that requires membership by adhering to its rules. Ahsoka left the order but retained Force abilities.

Likewise, not all Dark Force wielders are Sith (cf. Inquisitors).

And... not all Force users identify with either being on the side of 'Light' or 'Dark.'

There are plenty of ways around continuity issues... you have have to look at it from a certain point of view.

ppete1975

All of this is George Lucas's fault. He stopped after return. Had he taken a decade off (outside of harrison being successful, and carrie already bat poop crazy, all the other actors wouldnt have hesitated to come back). You would still have the die hard Luke is our hero and we want to see him as a powerful jedi, and we want to see leia and han together.... Heres mark hamill around that time 1993
1608751391931.png

Instead we got the prequels... which could have been made anytime!! Those are the movies that should have been made when disney acquired (he could have even had a contract saying he got to write them or at least had creative control). Instead we got movies where the original cast was honestly too old to tell the story we all really wanted. So now they are trying to cgi the movies and things that we should have had in the 90s. People grow old, fat and die. If you want to make sequels you have a window... george lucas let that window pass.

britain

All of this is George Lucas's fault. He stopped after return. Had he taken a decade off (outside of harrison being successful, and carrie already bat poop crazy, all the other actors wouldnt have hesitated to come back). You would still have the die hard Luke is our hero and we want to see him as a powerful jedi, and we want to see leia and han together.... Heres mark hamill around that time 1993
View attachment 520388
Instead we got the prequels... which could have been made anytime!! Those are the movies that should have been made when disney acquired (he could have even had a contract saying he got to write them or at least had creative control). Instead we got movies where the original cast was honestly too old to tell the story we all really wanted. So now they are trying to cgi the movies and things that we should have had in the 90s. People grow old, fat and die. If you want to make sequels you have a window... george lucas let that window pass.

That was all part of the plan. Lucas wanted to get back to Ep 7, 8, 9 when Hamill was in his sixties so that he'd be the Obi-Wan type character in the new trilogy.

ppete1975

That was all part of the plan. Lucas wanted to get back to Ep 7, 8, 9 when Hamill was in his sixties so that he'd be the Obi-Wan type character in the new trilogy.
i remember him saying that, but i think that was lucas's excuse for ford hamil and fisher saying they were done and would never make another star wars. And even if it was lucas's idea it still robbed fans of what they really wanted. BA luke and a married with kids Han and leia.. not grumpy old people...

Last edited:

britain

I miss him too - but his "7 articles about China for every 1 article about new News" ratio isn't helping. I mean, I hate oppressive dictatorships too, but c'mon.

doctornick

Glad to see Epic Universe started construction again back in March. Just as I predicted last fall, they got working on it again as soon as they were able to.

This is also great news for Disney fans. Strong competition means Disney can't rest on their laurels. Universal was already gaining on them pre pandemic.

I agree and the timing for Epic Universe is perfect in that sense. Disney will open up all the planned/under construction stuff by the end of 2022. If they want to do something splashy to compete with EU they’ll have to approve and start building in the next year or so. It will hopefully prevent us from having a massive period of nothing new from Disney.

Anyone have any sense for what might be under consideration for WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom