The British Invasion leaving Epcot?

forevermickey

So, let's see:

1.Chinese acrobats - Gone.
2.Miyuki can no longer give away candy.
3.British Invasion - Next on the chopping block.

Well, they did their best to destroy Future World, now it's time to take out World Showcase.

I did not know this about Miyuki.... why is this?

EDIT.... just read through the entire post so I found my answer... that stinks! Little ridiculous!

jakeman

I've been a big BI fan for years and always watch several sets on multiple days during vacation. My favorite line up was a few years ago when Jimmy was the leader and they did a lot of B side songs and some really unique sets.

Then Jimmy was gone, and then Leo left. Some new members including the current "George". So I had some conversations with an elderly local couple who followed the band closely (they had even been to some of their weddings) and learned some of the not so nice background stuff. I learned that "George" is the owner of the band and that he was the one leading the change in the sets and people - first moving back to the "era" sets where they wore the costumes of the day - and then changing again to the more generic British Invasion, singing other Brittish group songs. That is what they were back in the 90's before they changes to all Beatles songs.

Given all the nasty tidbits I was told (like about "George" firing Leo in a parking lot as he was coming into work), I suspect that this was a combination of dissatisfaction on the part of Disney and the desire for BI to leave for other reasons - the group members have been changing constantly since "George" became the on stage leader.

I could only wish that Jimmy and Leo have formed their own group with the prior members (one was Sean, I forgot the drummers name) and are poised to come back themselves!

If TDO had a better track record I would most certainly agree with you, but since there is a trend of serious cost cutting and eliminating entertainment, I don't see how theorizing that Disney may not have offered a reasonable contract is nonsensical. Is that definitely what happened here? Who knows, but it wouldn't be all that far fetched.

Disney definitely has the upper hand when it comes to contract negotiations like this. As a musician who has been involved in contract negotiations for many gigs, it's not hard to figure out your value as a performer/act and what a fair contract would be for both parties, especially if you're the British Invasion and you've been doing it for over 15 years. Trust me, if you're a musician/band, you don't turn down a stable and steady gig like that if the money is even remotely fair.

The fact that they are willing to walk away from one of the most stable gigs a musician/band could ever ask for that requires minimal travel and rehearsal tells me that more than likely they were not offered a fair deal. To leave Disney, they must feel it's worth the risk and effort involved with dealing with multiple venues with less consistent scheduling and the uncertainty of contracts that are much shorter in length.

Now like I said, is it possible that Disney isn't at fault here? Absolutely, and I really hope that this isn't another instance of management tightening the purse strings. However, based on their track record, I don't think it's unreasonable or nonsensical to discuss and debate the possibility that the British Invasion is just another casualty of cost cutting, especially since it's something that we see more and more these days. Just my $0.02.
See kathleena's quote above.

packwingfn

Does anyone think Off Kilter might be next? Does anyone know when their contract is up? Do they have any band politics?

I would seriously have my heart broken if Off Kilter is the next to get the axe?

PalisadesPkteer

Next entertainment offering from Disney and TDO will be squirrels with bagpipes!

I was thinking about the next trip and how I might stay near Sea World or Universal and go to IOA, Universal, Bush Gardens Tampa Bay and Sea World and maybe 1 day at EPCOT.

Well, I guess maybe EPCOT is maybe now not on the list. Really getting frustrated with the situation down at WDW.

anonDisney

Is there any evidence that Disney is cutting them?

Most, if not all the commenters here are blaming Disney for cutting the acts, but did anyone consider that maybe these groups (since they appear to be contracted by and not formed by Disney) simply wanted to leave?

Performing in Epcot must be fun, but I'm sure after years and years they might like a change of venue.

WDWGoof07

Is there any evidence that Disney is cutting them?

Most, if not all the commenters here are blaming Disney for cutting the acts, but did anyone consider that maybe these groups (since they appear to be contracted by and not formed by Disney) simply wanted to leave?

Performing in Epcot must be fun, but I'm sure after years and years they might like a change of venue.

All of the available evidence indicates the band wanted to leave, and both Disney and the band parted amicably. The band has even said on their Facebook page that they will be returning to Disney for special events. No one has given evidence that this was a cut by Disney. The Illuminating Epcot website post on this topic implies that Disney has a replacement lined up.

TDO deserves its fair share of criticism, but baseless accusations just diminish the credibility of the fan base.

JPVonDrake

Good News!

Beginning Tuesday, May 3, Epcot will welcome a new four-piece, high-energy band to the United Kingdom pavilion at Epcot to replace The British Invasion.

Spanning decades of popular British music, every set is an epic concert and every show is a chronological journey with random fun facts about the songs and artists you have come to know and love through the years. From the Dave Clark Five and the Beatles, to the music of Led Zeppelin and The Who, Epcot guests will have a whole new reason to sing and dance!

Mikester71

Beginning Tuesday, May 3, Epcot will welcome a new four-piece, high-energy band to the United Kingdom pavilion at Epcot to replace The British Invasion.

Spanning decades of popular British music, every set is an epic concert and every show is a chronological journey with random fun facts about the songs and artists you have come to know and love through the years. From the Dave Clark Five and the Beatles, to the music of Led Zeppelin and The Who, Epcot guests will have a whole new reason to sing and dance!

This could be promising!!! :sohappy:

dave&di

Excellent news!!! Love Led Zeppelin & The Who!!!

WDWGoof07

Sounds like fun! I'll definitely check these guys out next time.

Kudos to the Entertainment dept. This is right way to do it - quick replacement of departing entertainers with quality acts.

worldfanatic

I never cared much about Epcot's live entertainment.. I just walked pass them, stop for about 10 seconds, think "that's nice" then walk on.. No reason to listen to theirs if there's music circling around the park already, right? :shrug::ROFLOL: -jk-

100% agreement.
At least concerning the music acts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom