The British Invasion leaving Epcot?

prspeppers

This is an absolute and total bummer. I loved grabbing a beer at the pub and walking over to see the band. This is a HUGE loss for the world showcase.

I would like to thank the band for so many great memories over the years.

jakeman

If it was the band's decision, then I'm OK with it. Not much Disney can do. If it was Disney's decision, then shame on them.

Either way, truth be told, Beatles tribute bands are a dime a dozen. They should be able to find a replacement in a matter of hours.
We'll probably never know the whole truth.

The band is going to spin it their way and Disney theirs (if they acknowledge at all).

Obviously most people here have already determined that it is Disney's fault.

You are correct about the Beatles tribute band. If Disney wants to move in that direction again then it should be an easy replacement.

COProgressFan

We'll probably never know the whole truth.

The band is going to spin it their way and Disney theirs (if they acknowledge at all).

Obviously most people here have already determined that it is Disney's fault.

You are correct about the Beatles tribute band. If Disney wants to move in that direction again then it should be an easy replacement.

No, of course we'll never know the whole truth but we can infer. If the group felt the contract offer from Disney was appropriate they most likely would have stayed. Unless the band had some kind of unreasonable demands (doubtful), or was just tired of the gig and felt they could follow opportunities elsewhere, more than likely it was about the contract that Disney probably offered, and likely wouldn't budge on.

But seeing how WDW entertainment operates these days, if this is replaced with anything, I would not be surprised to see a DJ dance party where you can dance to Hannah Montana songs with Mary Poppins, Alice, and the White Rabbit! :hurl:

jakeman

No, of course we'll never know the whole truth but we can infer. If the group felt the contract offer from Disney was appropriate they most likely would have stayed. Unless the band had some kind of unreasonable demands (doubtful), or was just tired of the gig and felt they could follow opportunities elsewhere, more than likely it was about the contract that Disney probably offered, and likely wouldn't budge on.

But seeing how WDW entertainment operates these days, if this is replaced with anything, I would not be surprised to see a DJ dance party where you can dance to Hannah Montana songs with Mary Poppins, Alice, and the White Rabbit! :hurl:
Why is the band being the issue here "doubtful"?

Contract negotiations are a two way street. It very well could be that they simply couldn't come to terms and neither side was being unreasonable.

People here will give anyone but Disney every benefit that they, not Disney, are in the right.

At the end of the day, we aren't going to know, so casting either side as the evil villain is nonsensical.

They are leaving and that sucks for some people. What we should be concerned about is what Disney is going to replace them with, not why they are leaving.

EDIT: I do agree that a DJ would be a definite downgrade. They need to be replace with something as good or better (not necessarily the Beatles cover band).

kathleena

I've been a big BI fan for years and always watch several sets on multiple days during vacation. My favorite line up was a few years ago when Jimmy was the leader and they did a lot of B side songs and some really unique sets.

Then Jimmy was gone, and then Leo left. Some new members including the current "George". So I had some conversations with an elderly local couple who followed the band closely (they had even been to some of their weddings) and learned some of the not so nice background stuff. I learned that "George" is the owner of the band and that he was the one leading the change in the sets and people - first moving back to the "era" sets where they wore the costumes of the day - and then changing again to the more generic British Invasion, singing other Brittish group songs. That is what they were back in the 90's before they changes to all Beatles songs.

Given all the nasty tidbits I was told (like about "George" firing Leo in a parking lot as he was coming into work), I suspect that this was a combination of dissatisfaction on the part of Disney and the desire for BI to leave for other reasons - the group members have been changing constantly since "George" became the on stage leader.

I could only wish that Jimmy and Leo have formed their own group with the prior members (one was Sean, I forgot the drummers name) and are poised to come back themselves!

Prototype82

They continue to keep cutting entertainment. China lost the wonderful acrobats, no replacement. and now this. They cut the folk group from Norway, I think morockin is gone now as well or no?
I recall Disney making an official statement that their talent scouts were going to search for a replacement for China's Dragon Legend Acrobats show...So we'll see? They already created a new live entertainment show for the Italy pavilion a few months ago. The Ziti Sisters are a brand-new show. I don't think they're necessarily cutting back like they were some time ago.

PalisadesPkteer

This truly saddens me. So many great memories.

Wish the band all the best in the world and hope they do get to Disney several times.

But feel like many of you. They take all these things away and we get ....

NOTHING!!!!

I guess Lights of Winter was just the beginning after all!!!!

PirateFrank

Given all the nasty tidbits I was told (like about "George" firing Leo in a parking lot as he was coming into work), I suspect that this was a combination of dissatisfaction on the part of Disney and the desire for BI to leave for other reasons - the group members have been changing constantly since "George" became the on stage leader.

Thank you for saying this. I play guitar and have been in my fair share of working bands...people don't realize that band politics can really ruin the longevity of a band....especially a successful one, as more and more members of the band decide to take a vested interest in operations...and arguments ensue. Let's also not forget that musicians can be difficult people to work with as well... This makes for sketchy band politics at best.

Having said that, I am deeply saddened at the loss of BI. To me, watching them with a cold one in hand in epcot was as entertaining as an e-ticket.

I really hope that TDO is not just slashing and burning their entertainment budget, but that they are just making changes.... If it's clear that they are not replacing BI with another band, I may feel compelled to write a very harsh letter to guest relations....

misterID

That would actually be awesome. Dark Side of the Moon at Epcot would be fantastic, especially after a day of drinking around the world. :D

How about forking out some cash and getting Roger Waters to play there. You know... Instead of Hermans Hermits or Chubby Checker. Just sayin.

Or even Steve Winwood would be cool, doing some of his Blind Faith and Traffic songs. :cool:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
How about forking out some cash and getting Roger Waters to play there. You know... Instead of Hermans Hermits or Chubby Checker. Just sayin.

Or even Steve Winwood would be cool, doing some of his Blind Faith and Traffic songs. :cool:

Ill see Rog in a few weeks, If I get the chance Ill ask him

WDWGoof07

I agree, but the real question is what is Disney offering in the first place? Here we have an experienced band that has proven it can bring the crowds back to that area, and they turned down the contract. Disney isn't likely to offer that same contract to someone new, so will they even be able to get the same kind of quality for the money they are offering?

Of course I'm assuming it wasn't a great contract, so I hope I'm wrong. I just wouldn't be surprised given Entertainment's track record as of late. The easiest way to justify cuts is to offer less and then blame the other party for not sticking around.

If there is something decent back there in June while I'm there, I'll gladly eat my words!
Read what the band posted on Facebook. It seems that Disney and the band separated on amicable terms. They even said that they will be returning to Disney to play for special events.

The post about this topic on the Illuminating Epcot website implies that Disney has a replacement, but no start date is given.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Why is the band being the issue here "doubtful"?

Contract negotiations are a two way street. It very well could be that they simply couldn't come to terms and neither side was being unreasonable.

People here will give anyone but Disney every benefit that they, not Disney, are in the right.

At the end of the day, we aren't going to know, so casting either side as the evil villain is nonsensical.

If TDO had a better track record I would most certainly agree with you, but since there is a trend of serious cost cutting and eliminating entertainment, I don't see how theorizing that Disney may not have offered a reasonable contract is nonsensical. Is that definitely what happened here? Who knows, but it wouldn't be all that far fetched.

Disney definitely has the upper hand when it comes to contract negotiations like this. As a musician who has been involved in contract negotiations for many gigs, it's not hard to figure out your value as a performer/act and what a fair contract would be for both parties, especially if you're the British Invasion and you've been doing it for over 15 years. Trust me, if you're a musician/band, you don't turn down a stable and steady gig like that if the money is even remotely fair.

The fact that they are willing to walk away from one of the most stable gigs a musician/band could ever ask for that requires minimal travel and rehearsal tells me that more than likely they were not offered a fair deal. To leave Disney, they must feel it's worth the risk and effort involved with dealing with multiple venues with less consistent scheduling and the uncertainty of contracts that are much shorter in length.

Now like I said, is it possible that Disney isn't at fault here? Absolutely, and I really hope that this isn't another instance of management tightening the purse strings. However, based on their track record, I don't think it's unreasonable or nonsensical to discuss and debate the possibility that the British Invasion is just another casualty of cost cutting, especially since it's something that we see more and more these days. Just my $0.02.

Mikester71

Finally caught a British Invasion show last month and absolutely LOVED it!!! :sohappy: Great atmosphere that night with a packed garden and gorgeous weather. Didn't know what to expect honestly (being a HUGE Beatles fan, I was ready to be disappointed), but they were rather impressive and had the audience on their feet most of the performance. They won my family over and I would go as far as to say it was one of the highlights of our 10 day trip! Sad to hear that they won't be there next time we head down though. :(

SoccerMickey

I recall Disney making an official statement that their talent scouts were going to search for a replacement for China's Dragon Legend Acrobats show...So we'll see? They already created a new live entertainment show for the Italy pavilion a few months ago. The Ziti Sisters are a brand-new show. I don't think they're necessarily cutting back like they were some time ago.

Have you seen the Ziti Sisters show??? UGH!! Talk about a show that goes on and on forever for no apparent reason whatsoever. If this is the kind of entertainment World Showcase is coming to then we better watch out until Illuminations becomes just a couple of guys in the middle of the lake holding up cigarette lighters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom