The bizarre state of Epcot logos

HMF

Original Poster
When Epcot Center opened in 1982 the entire park and each Attraction had it's own uniqe yet similar circular logo.
images

This stayed pretty consistent until Innoventions opened in 1994 with it's upside down Triangle logo and the active use of the matching circular logos began to decline.
epcot_innoventions_logo.jpg

Things remained steady until Test Track opened in 1999 in which the closest thing to a circular logo it had was the testing symbol
wdw_attraction_test_track.jpg

In 1999 this semi-circular logo became the logo of Imagination!
Imagination_institute_by_tmcjilton.jpg

Mission Space had this semi-circular logo

Mission_space_logo.jpg

In 2007 Spaceship Earth lost it's original circular logo to be replaced with this

Spaceship_Earth_Logo_2.png

It seemed that the SSE 07 Imagineers were trying to bring back a unified logo aesthetic considering how they utilized the Swirl motif in Project Tomorrow
images

Complicating matters was the new Innoventions Logo which came out at the same time but does not follow the circle or swirl motif.
Innoventions%20New%20Logo%20web.jpg

With the new Test Track rather than continuing the swirl motif they created circular logos for not only the Attraction but for each individual test and on top of that brought back the World of Motion logo
120412_FS_FirstLook_TestTrack_2.jpg

DatelineDisneyWorldNewTestTrack-IMG_7964.jpg

So as things stand right now considering that UOE, and the Land and now Test Track feature matching logos and Imagination! and Mission Space have somewhat similar logos The Spaceship Earth, Project Tomorrow and Innoventions logos stick out like sore thumbs. Hopefully, The New Test Track example is followed in future refurbs to restore the balence of logos.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I think where going to see some good changes over the next few years, Future World isn't doing as good as it used to. They really kissed up with Test Track and I have a feeling more good attractions are on the way, maybe not identical to the originals but I thing Epcot could be headed into a good direction but don't get your hopes up to soon.

Cmdr_Crimson

They also had this sign up for awhile when Figzilla existed..You can see the old Imagination logo in the sign...I'm not sure if it's still there as it has closed a few years ago..However if you look through the crack in the doorway it hasn't been untouched since He left..
DSC01410.JPG

amberkosh

I agree with themeparkpioner and hope things will get more innovative and attractive. I like the circular approach but hey its just me.

Midlife Mouse

At this point I'd just like to see Innoventions be have something innovative in it, with the logo being low on my list of changes.

You're right, there's no point in fixing the branding unless you actually fix the brand. The problem with Innoventions is that it's just another kids' science museum - there's one in every decent sized city. It needs to recapture the "permanent world's fair" magic. If there isn't a budget to send TDO execs and Imagineers to every world expo that comes along, there should be.

ExtinctJenn

I loved the idea of the consistency in the logos back in the 80s. It gave it a very clean organized feeling. In the 90s that sort of look became pretty "outdated" however and everything had to get flashy and fancy. In the 2000s there was a switch to things being bright and colorful and crisp and clear (HD) with lots of craziness to get your attention, vs. the understated sorts of options. It seems now, we've come full circle, and the idea of coordinated logs seems appealing again. I must admit I was beside myself when I first saw the WOM logo on the new TT signs/trashcans. I'd be more inclined to believe they'll find ways to continue with that though (including the old in the new) vs. going back to the organized consistency option.

blueboxdoctor

You're right, there's no point in fixing the branding unless you actually fix the brand. The problem with Innoventions is that it's just another kids' science museum - there's one in every decent sized city. It needs to recapture the "permanent world's fair" magic. If there isn't a budget to send TDO execs and Imagineers to every world expo that comes along, there should be.

Or just bring the big companies to Disney by allowing them to basically advertise their newest tech at Innoventions, at least then we'll be seeing the latest and greatest and it allows companies to reach a very diverse market, as people from all around the world come to WDW. It's basically a win-win (at least I know I'd like to be able to go to one place and see all the latest tech).

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I feel like now is the time to return to having a uniform set of logos for each pavilion. Classic logo merch is fairly popular, so why not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom