The Big Difference

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
There has been a lot of discussion lately about the things that used to be the difference in past WDW and current WDW. I'm posting a hugely significant indication concerning the lengths that WDW once went to to help people plan and just simply find out more about the place. Just about every year Disney would put out a DVD or VCR before that as a guide and enticement for the family and individual traveler that either were going to go to WDW or were thinking about it. All you had to do was go to the WDW Web Site and there would be a button to click on and they would send you this following type production free of charge. The one I am posting is from 2006/2007. It was, in my mind, the last big one before the quality and detail declined as well as entertainment value used. My Grandkids were around 6 and 8 years old and they would come to my place and watch this video over and over again so that by the time we actually went in 2008 they had the whole thing memorized.

Disney doesn't do anything like this anymore even though their system has gotten more and more complex and planning has become harder and harder. It is a shame because it not only got a lot of new guests but it also served to keep the more loyal of us anticipating our next visit. Anyway, it is a little long but if you can spare the time please take the time to watch it. It is fun, corny, silly and represents the attitude of WDW at the time. This is just one of a million things that no longer exist, but you will see that it is just a fun thing to put out there.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Most of it’s on their website/YouTube/planDisney/parks blog sites, people just don’t want to look
I have it in my possession to play on my 50" HD flat screen. A far cry from a computer monitor. It was something that I have kept everyone that I have ever received from them. Sadly, I no longer have a VCR player so those are just for taking up space. They are all on ResortTV1. That's were I found this one again.

Disney4family

We LOVE this one! It's affectionately called "Dave" in our house.
We still watch this as well as many others that my kids grew up with. (Yes, we kept the DVD player plugged in.)
They weren't as much fun after this one, kinda like how the new resort channel isn't as good without Stacey.
We miss Disney being Disney in many, many areas.

TotallyBiased

I have it in my possession to play on my 50" HD flat screen. A far cry from a computer monitor. It was something that I have kept everyone that I have ever received from them. Sadly, I no longer have a VCR player so those are just for taking up space. They are all on ResortTV1. That's were I found this one again.
We stream everything on a 65" 4k TV off of YouTube, browser, or any other site, either off of smart apps or a 4k FireCube. There's really no need for physical media nowadays IMO with the advances in broadband and digital delivery.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its a new era.
People don't care to wait for a VHS or DVD in the mail.
There's plenty of info laid out in pretty easy to understand sections on the website.
Plus there's plenty of content on social media platforms that you can easily search for a specific topic and find your answer.
Besides if I'm being honest those videos did not dive very deep into planning and fully understanding your options.

JIMINYCR

Disney got away from giving them out as technology advanced and less people used CD's and DVD players. Even musicians are relying on customers to download their music instead of selling CD's. You have a hard time finding DVD's in the stores that used to carry them. There used to be multiple aisles with racks of DVD's displayed. I still have both a working VCR and DVD player and every once in a while load in one of the old Disney promotional disc.

Michaelson

If you've ever had to work in video production (as I have for the past 46 years), they can be quickly made and put into the information stream in fairly short order if you have a good production team. The problem these days is Disney makes changes so quickly (day to day, practically), anything produced for public consumption would be dated within a few days of publication. Total waste of time now.

Regards! Michaelson

erasure fan1

My point of view is this. It all really boils down to Disney doesn't care. Disney is all about cost cutting. When, or if, Disney starts to see a major decline, then maybe they change. There are so many ways to offer the same type of experience as the vhs and dvds. Heck, you could go to their website, select all the things you want, and then they email you a link to download your personal video. And Disney can then update their files as things change so it's never out of date. The problem? It would cost money with no real ROI. Even though there is a huge marketing and informational gain, that isn't something you can point to and show the monetization. Therefore, why bother, is the attitude.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
We stream everything on a 65" 4k TV off of YouTube, browser, or any other site, either off of smart apps or a 4k FireCube. There's really no need for physical media nowadays IMO with the advances in broadband and digital delivery.
Of course, you can get all that information off the internet, but there was nothing more fun than receiving that package in the mail and having it in your collection year after year. I know this is the 21st century but that doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable. It seemed like a closer connection, one that made you feel like they really cared about you personally. You don't get that when you download it with no other connection. Plus for Disney now all they have to do is produce it and post it at no additional cost to them. Just not the same.

Last edited:

SSH

I remember these! What I really liked a lot was that bumper sticker thing they did a few years back: it was a themed bumper sticker with your name- "Smith" family Christmas or something like that. I can't remember all the details, but you went online and completed a little interview process: # of people in your household, pets, etc and they mailed you a cool little bumper sticker. It was so cute and is still part of our holiday decor every year.

Anyone remember that?

eliza61nyc

Of course, you can get all that information off the internet, but there was nothing more fun than receiving that package in the mail and having it in your collection year after year. I know this is the 21st century but that doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable. It seemed like a closer connection, one that made you feel like they really cared about you personally. You don't get that when you download it with no other connection. Plus for Disney now all they have to do is produce it and post it at no additional cost t them. Just not the same.
Lol, truly goofy that's a generational thing. My grandkids/kids just don't get that "type" of excitement. Telling them they have to wait 7 days for DVD is more likelyto make them mad. 😆
It's not about the cost but seriously why mass produce something that pretty much would end up in the trash? IF they could even find a dDVD player
Not sure of the feeling of "connection" one gets.

TotallyBiased

Of course, you can get all that information off the internet, but there was nothing more fun than receiving that package in the mail and having it in your collection year after year. I know this is the 21st century but that doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable. It seemed like a closer connection, one that made you feel like they really cared about you personally. You don't get that when you download it with no other connection. Plus for Disney now all they have to do is produce it and post it at no additional cost t them. Just not the same.
I'd say, it depends on how it's delivered. You can deliver personalized elements to a video (log into the planning app/site, follow a questionnaire, capture that data and apply it to your personal planning portal). Now on the flip, if you're just downloading some rando stream off a 3rd party, than yes you're correct. But building that same connection with a personalized interactive digital experience is going to deliver the same experience without the material overhead. It just won't sit on a shelf collecting dust after. It's also going to be more dynamic and not limited to the confines of a pre-published DVD. But yeah, it all comes down to how it's delivered.

I think I've had a DVD shipped once or twice. Can't say it ever did anything for me and pretty sure it eventually just got tossed. Now, when the magic bands would come in, different story. Definitely some excitement and building anticipation there.

SteveAZee

Lol, truly goofy that's a generational thing. My grandkids/kids just don't get that "type" of excitement. Telling them they have to wait 7 days for DVD is more likelyto make them mad. 😆
It's not about the cost but seriously why mass produce something that pretty much would end up in the trash? IF they could even find a dDVD player
LOL, I remember buying View Master packets of disks, one packet per land at the Magic Kingdom. Why can't I get those any more? 😁

KBLovedDisney

Speaking of highlights, I used to collect these every year. Here are just a couple of the best.
Videos.jpg

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
At the time they sent out the VCR tapes no one knew they were going to obsolete so fast. I have all mine because they are the best kind of souvenirs, free ones. I have a number of VCR's that I am eventually have transferred to DVD. We obviously didn't tell the kids they were coming, we told them when they arrived. I believe that others cannot see the connection and you don't have too. I did and felt very much like they really cared about me not individually, but as a person that they thought was important enough to spend the money to get me there. They spent a lot on production and copies and postage to get them out. Their website existed at the time because that is how I ordered them. That one that I posted is on a DVD. Those still exist. Even VCR's are still around. I didn't get rid of mine until last year. I don't know how old your grandkids were 15 years ago but mine were excited. My kids had outgrown it.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

At the time they sent out the VCR tapes no one knew they were going to obsolete so fast. I have all mine because they are the best kind of souvenirs, free ones. I have a number of VCR's that I am eventually have transferred to DVD. We obviously didn't tell the kids they were coming, we told them when they arrived. I believe that others cannot see the connection and you don't have too. I did and felt very much like they really cared about me not individually, but as a person that they thought was important enough to spend the money to get me there. They spent a lot on production and copies and postage to get them out. Their website existed at the time because that is how I ordered them. That one that I posted is on a DVD. Those still exist. Even VCR's are still around. I didn't get rid of mine until last year. I don't know how old your grandkids were 11 years ago but mine were excited. My kids had outgrown it.
I get the nostalgia really but most businesses try to keep up with the times.
Case in point, had to upgrade my phone last month. I was surprised to see my new phone a Samsung galaxy no longer has a port for headphones?? Why the vast majority of folks are now using wireless Bluetooth ear buds. So now the 4 pair of headphones with plug in Jack's are obsolete.
It's great that you have those memories but it's ridiculous to equate getting rid of them as an indication that the company doesn't care about its guest ( not saying that wdw does care).
The technology is becoming obsolete, like the typewriter, Sony Walkman and my wired earphones. Sure some people still have those things and look fondly on them and the cost is moot. Why produce tons of useless stuff. Most people no longer get their information that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom