The Big Berm Theory

tl77

We know why it is being done. Tron led to the need for a large retention pond which is being built on the other side of Space Mountain. The proximity of the pond to the tracks along with the grade change requires retaining walls between the pond and the tracks.
Why.... that's exactly what I said, and I figured it out all by myself ...WDWMAGIC? Worthless!

Cmdr_Crimson

Sorry.....Had to be done....;)

Doug Richardson

I have old Disney literature which boasts the only "outside world" that can be seen from the Magic Kingdom is the Contemporary, and (appropriately) from one spot in Tomorrowland. It was also a very sad loss when the trees at the hub were removed. I think the concept was to provide a city park-like green area and, with the castle view partially blocked, people would want to move in that direction to see it. As someone who's been visiting Walt Disney World since 1972, I often wonder what the new generation of Imagineers are thinking!

Daddyoh

Young people may not be aware that up until ~2001, the Central Hub was filled with fat, gorgeous shade trees, which solved that sightline issue from Liberty Square as seen in the first post of this thread. The hub was designed as the visual curtain between lands, obscuring enough to insulate and showing enough to draw interest to what lay beyond. The central trees and this curtain effect were sacrificed to open the area to castle show/fireworks viewing. Some think it a worthwhile trade-off, but I preferred the tree curtain and all that relaxing shade and Old World feel over the opened, barren center and easier to see castle/fireworks shows.
1.jpg

View attachment 373992
Oh the good ole days, now we have a parking lot instead.

CaptainAmerica

I have old Disney literature which boasts the only "outside world" that can be seen from the Magic Kingdom is the Contemporary, and (appropriately) from one spot in Tomorrowland. It was also a very sad loss when the trees at the hub were removed. I think the concept was to provide a city park-like green area and, with the castle view partially blocked, people would want to move in that direction to see it. As someone who's been visiting Walt Disney World since 1972, I often wonder what the new generation of Imagineers are thinking!
Oh the good ole days, now we have a parking lot instead.
It wasn't a design decision, it was a logistical / operational decision, and a necessary one. The hub had to be opened up because the previous one was a pinch point bordering on a safety issue. The hub is part art, part infrastructure, and the infrastructure had to be addressed.

lazyboy97o

It wasn't a design decision, it was a logistical / operational decision, and a necessary one. The hub had to be opened up because the previous one was a pinch point bordering on a safety issue. The hub is part art, part infrastructure, and the infrastructure had to be addressed.
The infrastructure had to be addressed because the park lacks sufficient capacity Due to decades of trying to keep people on walkways and not in attractions. The infrastructure also could have been expanded while incorporating more softscape.

CaptainAmerica

The infrastructure had to be addressed because the park lacks sufficient capacity Due to decades of trying to keep people on walkways and not in attractions. The infrastructure also could have been expanded while incorporating more softscape.
No matter how much capacity is added in the lands, the hub will bear the brunt of the logistical burden at 9pm every night.

kap91

Young people may not be aware that up until ~2001, the Central Hub was filled with fat, gorgeous shade trees, which solved that sightline issue from Liberty Square as seen in the first post of this thread. The hub was designed as the visual curtain between lands, obscuring enough to insulate and showing enough to draw interest to what lay beyond. The central trees and this curtain effect were sacrificed to open the area to castle show/fireworks viewing. Some think it a worthwhile trade-off, but I preferred the tree curtain and all that relaxing shade and Old World feel over the opened, barren center and easier to see castle/fireworks shows.
1.jpg

View attachment 373992
BRING BACK THE FAT TREES!

And plant more everywhere there's more than a 10x10 expanse of concrete!

Brad Bishop

1.jpg

The other bit you touch on, which I think bears repeating, is that the hub used to be a kind of relaxing / dead space area. You didn't have some "Pump It! Jam It! Stuff It!" parade happening every 45min nor did you have a stage show happening every hour in front of the castle. It was just this relaxing area (transitionary) between lands.

It's unfortunate that it's gone and it'll never be back. You can't monetize a relaxing, dead area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom