The best fish I ever ate

Phonedave

Original Poster
We just got back from our F&W trip. Three seminars, many tastings, and a dinner at V&A over 3 days - whew.

When I get the time I'll post some comments (seeing as F&W ended yesterday, that's not very helpfull) however there is one dish that I just cannot get off my mind.

It was the fish course at V&A

Dover Sole with Toasted Capers and Preserved Lemon with a Domaine de la Solitude Chateauneuf du-Pape Blanc 2010.

First off, it is UK Dover Sole (not the "Dover sole" that is really a flounder from the northwest US) - Hatter I envy the fact that you can get this fish. It is flown in overnight for V&A (Hence the $30 additional charge).

The Meyer Lemons used come from Chef Hunnel's own trees

A Blanc Chateauneuf du-Pape - only 5% of the appelations wines are white - the rest are red. How awesome was it to pair this wine with this dish!

It was also plated with, I believe, beet greens.

As the waiter put it when I talked to him about it. "First off, that fish is just insane, and I could eat the sauce with just bread - but put the two together and ......." (then he just trailed off).

The fish was cooked perfectly with a slight crust on it. The sauce was sweet and salty with acid and lemon all at the same time. The bitterness of the greens just acted as a foil to the fish and sauce.

I really really really need the recipe for his toasted caper lemon sauce.

OK, I'm done now, but if anyone has a chance to sample this dish - do it. (It blew my old V&A raving dish, the veal cheek and golden beet lasagna right out of the water)

-dave

Last edited:

Phonedave

Original Poster
That sounds amazing. Do you have a picture of it? I love food .

Sorry, no pictures. We made a decision this trip to take minimal pictures - especially in V&A

However, I poached (get it, poached, like a poached fish) this photo off the internet. It is the same dish, but with turbot instead of Dover Sole. Dover Sole, being a flatfish, is a longer and narrower piece of fish, so the greens were to the side of the filet, as opposed to under it, but you get the idea from this picture.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv392%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3A%3B72473%3A348nu0mrj

s&k'smom

I love hearing reviews of V&A it on our list for DH and I's 25th anniversary tour (otherwise known as no kids vacation!).

Phonedave

Original Poster
We have been to V&As twice now - last time at the Chef's Table - and they have simply been the best meals of our lives! Everyone should go there at least once, just for the experience. We'll be back again next year!

I have been in the main dining room twice. I would like to try both the QV room and the Chef's table - all in due time.

-dave

Minthorne

Man that Sole looks good!

Do you think if they served Flounder it would have a little Ariel sculpted from marzipan on the side shrieking silently in horror?

The blue plate special at the 50's Prime Time right now is flounder, can't wait to try it. Les Poisson, les poisson...

StageFrenzy

I recently went to V&A for the first time, it was an amazing experience. Phonedave I think I had a similar menu. I went with the steak and wife went with lamb. Did you try the octopus salad or did someone else get oxtail ravioli?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I have a reservation at V&A in February and will certainly remember this.

I do have a question for all of you who have been there before--what's the difference between the Main Dining Room and the Queen Victoria room?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have been in the main dining room twice. I would like to try both the QV room and the Chef's table - all in due time.

-dave
Our first time was in the main dining room as well. We called to make a reservation for the QV room, and the super CM said that the Chef's Table was available that day (our anniversary), and it is the same price, and would we want to switch. Well, that was kind of a no-brainer! Chef Hunnel was off the day we went, so we had Chef Amy, but the food was still the best we have ever had. Our next visit, we hope that Chef Hunnel is at least scheduled to work that evening, but we're OK with Chef Amy anytime!!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have a reservation at V&A in February and will certainly remember this.

I do have a question for all of you who have been there before--what's the difference between the Main Dining Room and the Queen Victoria room?
The main dining room is 7 courses with 3 bread courses. The QV room is a 10 courses with the 3 bread courses. Chef's Table is the same as the QV room. You do get more choices in the main dining room for certain courses. In the QV or Chef's Table, you let them know what you will NOT eat, and they pick the courses for you.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The main dining room is 7 courses with 3 bread courses. The QV room is a 10 courses with the 3 bread courses. Chef's Table is the same as the QV room. You do get more choices in the main dining room for certain courses. In the QV or Chef's Table, you let them know what you will NOT eat, and they pick the courses for you.

So if I have a picky eater, would I be better off with QV? What's the price diff, if you know? Thanks!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So if I have a picky eater, would I be better off with QV? What's the price diff, if you know? Thanks!
Hmmm, well, if the picky eater was very specific about everything, then that might be better, but I wouldn't bother if it is a real long list. When we saw the menu, there were a few items that had ingredients that we thought - no way - but - one of us ordered that item, and it tasted absolutely wonderful! and nothing like we were expecting. When the flavors are melded together so perfectly, the dish turns out completely different than something you cook at home (well, unless your a first class chef!).

The price for the main dining room is $135 per person with $65 for the wine pairing. QV and Chef's Table are $210 each with $105 for the wine pairings.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hmmm, well, if the picky eater was very specific about everything, then that might be better, but I wouldn't bother if it is a real long list. When we saw the menu, there were a few items that had ingredients that we thought - no way - but - one of us ordered that item, and it tasted absolutely wonderful! and nothing like we were expecting. When the flavors are melded together so perfectly, the dish turns out completely different than something you cook at home (well, unless your a first class chef!).

The price for the main dining room is $135 per person with $65 for the wine pairing. QV and Chef's Table are $210 each with $105 for the wine pairings.

Thanks so much for all that info. Last time we ate at Citricos, the picky eater checked out the V&A menu that was posted, and I'm pretty sure he decided he could work with it, which prompted our decision to make a reservation there before they stop taking TiW!

Phonedave

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all that info. Last time we ate at Citricos, the picky eater checked out the V&A menu that was posted, and I'm pretty sure he decided he could work with it, which prompted our decision to make a reservation there before they stop taking TiW!

If you tell them ahead of time, when you make your reservation, they will craft the menu to your liking. For example, my wife is not a big seafood fan, so he menu had no seafood on it. She is also allergic to mushrooms, so those were removed as well.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom