The Batman 2022 Spoiler Discussion

Budd

Original Poster
With more test screenings this week and some pretty heavy leaks hitting the internet over the past few days, I figured why not start a spoiler-heavy discussion for The Batman being released in March 2022.

For me personally, this is my highest-anticipated movie coming in the new year. I enjoy learning of different leaks and other major plot points before seeing a movie... I don't mind being spoiled. If you're the same, jump right in.

These spoilers are legit, so be warned... yet take anything as rumor only until the final product is released.

With that being said, here we go, and read no further if you don't want this movie ruined...

For starters, this is apparently the darkest Batfilm we've had.

The main villain is The Riddler, but this is no Jim Carrey prancing around in green tights. This is a very DARK character. More reserved than say Heath Ledger's Joker, but more dangerous as well. Riddler supposedly ends up flooding Gotham City by the end. It will be interesting how the sequel picks things up with the city being underwater by the end of this.

Many of Riddler's kills on corrupt politicians and other leaders are extreme (Medieval rat torture, anyone?) 😳🤢
Some viewers have heavily compared Riddler to a more sinister John Doe from Seven. I'm wondering if WB scales anything back to go for the much more coveted (and box-office successful) PG-13 rating rather than the obvious R rating some scenes would mandate. Time will tell.

Penguin is another antagonist, but used far less than Riddler. Colin Farrell's performance is allegedly a showstopper. He's evil but hilarious at times.

There is a boy or teen character who interacts with Bruce Wayne / Batman a few times throughout the movie who *could* be leading up to become Robin later in this series, but not officially referenced yet. He's an orphan, so there's that. No confirmation after watching this movie if he is or isn't the future Robin.

Barry Keoghan is in fact the Joker himself, but don't expect much from him in this movie at all. Not a good look, just a good snippet of his voice, maybe a shadow outline from a prison cell at best. He'll obviously be more prominent in sequels.

Zoe Kravitz is getting high praise as Selena Kyle. I just hope she doesn't use the cliche, "Cat got your tongue?" pun that we've heard from practically every other version of the character.

The first two acts are a mystery/thriller with action thrown in while the 3rd act is where things explode, er, flood.

Pattinson plays one of the most vicious Batmen yet, but never kills.

More later.

Budd

Original Poster
So the internet seems to be hyping up the Barry Keoghan / Joker cameo far heavier than what we're getting... in this movie.
This is supposedly going to be a BRIEF appearance, and "appearance" is overstated. Imagine the Luke Skywalker cameo at the very end of TFA, but only a fraction of it, and you can hardly make out his face. That's what we're supposedly getting with Joker at the very end of The Batman.

Riddler is locked up in prison (Arkham most likely), someone in the cell neighboring his is talking to him momentarily, we get a short, shadowy look at this mystery person, you may be able to tell he has facial scars if you don't blink. No noticeable makeup, green air, none of it, just a quick look at a face. He says something to Riddler along the lines of: "One day you're a king, the next day you're a clown."
That's pretty much all that's been leaked.

Whether or not it stays at the very end of the movie or gets bumped to an end credit scene is still debatable.

Budd

Original Poster
Wayne tower (Manor) is apparently going to be in the middle of Gotham in this movie rather than the secluded manor out away from town. The "batcave" is rumored to be beneath the tower in a basement setting.

Back to the villains. If rumors/leaks hold true and Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman all survive this movie, and Joker is introduced during the final moments in a brief cameo... then the sequel will pay homage heavily to the classic ensemble of the fab four.
12121a.jpg

So Over It

Barry Keoghan has officially been credited by WB with the updated cast list this week as "Unseen Arkham Prisoner".
His character also has the same prosthetics designer (Mark Marino) as Penguin.
Barry is rumored to be heavily used in the sequels.

Jedijax719

I have a theory about the Penguin's look. I predict that he won't play a huge role in the whole move, but will be more of an intro villain early on. Then, after the crash we've seen in the trailers, Penguin will get badly injured (beyond the injuries we see on his face). His head will be burned and something will happen to one of his eyes. The injuries sustained in the chase (which clearly involves fire) results in Penguin wearing a hat in order to hide the fact that Batman injured him. He will also wear the landmark monocle to aid vision to his injured eye and (if my hand thing has any girth to it). However, I don't think we will see the final version of Penguin until the next movie (there will clearly be a sequel) when he teams up with a new Joker (Barry Koeghan?).

Penguin is not supposed to play a major role and is not supposed to have a lot of screen-time in this. I think what we have seen of him will be mostly in the beginning of the film and may just be in act 1. The Riddler and Catwoman are allegedly the focus (besides Batman himself). The Penguin seems to merely be set up for future films (and/or the spin-off).

So Over It

I have a theory about the Penguin's look. I predict that he won't play a huge role in the whole move, but will be more of an intro villain early on. Then, after the crash we've seen in the trailers, Penguin will get badly injured (beyond the injuries we see on his face). His head will be burned and something will happen to one of his eyes. The injuries sustained in the chase (which clearly involves fire) results in Penguin wearing a hat in order to hide the fact that Batman injured him. He will also wear the landmark monocle to aid vision to his injured eye and (if my hand thing has any girth to it). However, I don't think we will see the final version of Penguin until the next movie (there will clearly be a sequel) when he teams up with a new Joker (Barry Koeghan?).

Penguin is not supposed to play a major role and is not supposed to have a lot of screen-time in this. I think what we have seen of him will be mostly in the beginning of the film and may just be in act 1. The Riddler and Catwoman are allegedly the focus (besides Batman himself). The Penguin seems to merely be set up for future films (and/or the spin-off).
In this movie, he doesn't even like being referred to as "Penguin". Just Oswald or "Oz".

Jedijax719

Colin Farrel's Penguin TOTALLY reminds of Robert DeNiro's portrayal of Al Capone in the 80's movie "The Untouchables". Mannerisms, speech, appearance (minus the scars) seem identical.

So Over It

So the scene towards the end from Arkham prison has leaked where Riddler is talking to Joker, and hints at a future alliance between the two.
Yeah, Barry has the Joker laugh brilliantly.
I was excited before, now I'm sold.

Jedijax719

Live action Joker count:
Cesar Romero
Jack Nicholson
Heath Ledger
Jared Leto
Joaquin Phoenix
Cameron Monaghan
Barry Keoghan

Oprah: "You get a Joke role, you get a Joker role, you get a Joker role.....everyone gets a Joker role!" lol

Last edited:

Timmay

So just walked out of the theater. I’ll post more later…but for me it was excellent. Very Detective comic booky.

So Over It

I don't know why, but the whole Alfred / explosion sequence was the most unnerving scene for me.

Excellent movie. Not sure where I'd rank it on my list of favorite Batman movies, but definitely towards the top.

Any skepticism I had about Robert Pattinson playing a good Batman has been silenced.

Timmay

So again, excellent. Like getting to watch a Detective Comic story come to life.

A caveat I must put out there…I’ve been collecting Batman comics since the mid 80’s, so I’ve got thousands. Have always been a bigger fan than any other character.

This movie was just about as perfect as you can get. I’ve heard a lot about there being some significant non-canonical stuff, but there really wasn’t. Everything comes pretty much from the comics in some form or another, or the Arkham series of games. A lot of little nods to many many different Batman stories.

The story itself, although not the plot, has a very The Long Halloween and Dark Victory feel to it, with some Year 1 and 2 thrown in there. All the characters really seems to hit their mark…except for Alfred. He just wasn’t flushed out very well, and that’s honestly my only gripe, and it’s pretty minor. I do still like Gary Oldman’s Gordon better…but Oldman’s anything is always better, but the rest are either on par or above what we saw in the Nolan trilogy.

So Over It

We just happened to watch his arc the other day for the first time and wow…he Certainly got the “maniac clown” part right
I thought the "Jerome / Jeremiah" name thing in that show was ridiculous. Just call him Joker. We all know who he's supposed to be.

But none of that was Cameron's fault. That was WB (or DC?) being stingy and not allowing certain things in that show for whatever dumb reason, like the Batman logo, Joker's name or green hair, to name a few. Dumb decisions by the execs. They should have let the creative liberties flow.

Casting for the show was superb all around, imo. Cameron deserves a spot among top Joker performances.
Everybody played the roles brilliantly throughout the show's run.

So Over It

A couple of thoughts after a second viewing:

While I enjoyed Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, she still falls short to Michelle Pfeiffer who did the best performance with the role, all imo of course. Zoe is a strong 2nd place. Anne Hathaway was a good Selina Kyle, but just didn't feel like Catwoman. Halle Berry was a great Catwoman in a goshawful movie.

The trailers and TV advertisements gave away too many things which should have been left as surprises (Riddler flooding downtown Gotham. Multiple goons posing as other "Riddlers").

Screamface

I didn't like it. I thought the script was really bad. Detective Batman mostly involved no detective work.

Riddler leads Batman to the orphanage. Batman watches a film that tells him about his parents and Falcone. Batman goes to Falcone who tells him more stuff. Batman then goes to Alfred, who provides more context and information about it. Catwomen shows up with an audio recording of Falcone confessing to his crimes. Batman goes to capture Falcone. The Riddler then shoots from his apartment revealing his location. The Riddler sits in a cafe allowing himself to be captured. Within the Riddler's apartment are notebooks. Batman walks over to one, picks it, hands it to Gorden who then reads exposition. Batman is looking around the apartment. A cop points out a metal tool is for laying carpet. Batman then rips up the carpet, where there's a map of the Riddler's plan and the password to a video on the Riddler's computer. So then batman watches a video of the Riddler explaining his evil plot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom