The Avengers Sets New Opening Weekend Record with $200.3M!.....

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Check it out:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=89933

The Avengers Sets New Opening Weekend Record with $200.3M!

Source: ComingSoon.net

May 6, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures is projecting that Marvel's The Avengers will earn an estimated $200.3 million at the domestic box office this weekend from 4,349 locations, making it the highest-grossing debut of all time! The previous record of $169.2 million was held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 last year. "The Avengers" averaged $46,063 per theater in North America.

"The Avengers" will cross the $600 million global box office today after just 12 days of release! The film added another $151.5 million this weekend internationally and has reached $441.5 million overseas from 52 territories. The movie's estimated global total after today is $641.8 million!

The global box office for "The Avengers" has already surpassed the global box office totals of Captain America: The First Avengers ($364 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($585 million) and Iron Man 2 ($624 million).

The movie has become the fastest to reach the $200 million mark domestically in three days.

Disneyfanman

Agreed. After seeing it, I think it's one of the most entertaining films that I have ever seen.................if you are familiar with the source material (I am). If not, I put it in the "like it a lot" category. I honestly don't think it could have been done better. Nice work to Joss W and his team. They captured The Hulk for the first time on film. They kept the snarky attitude of Tony Stark intact. And Black Widow, for the first time, was awesome. It really played just like the best of the comics.

jt04

That Iger guy must be some sort of genius. But then a certain spirit named 74 has been telling us the aquisition of Marvel was a brilliant decision by a brilliant business man.

Right? :veryconfu

:lookaroun

~John Carter of Where?~ (already forgotten)

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Right! Now if only Disney could get control of ALL the licenses/rights to Marvel so they could actually incorporate them in the parks. Yes, acquiring Marvel was a brilliant idea.

ScorpionX

That Iger guy must be some sort of genius. But then a certain spirit named 74 has been telling us the aquisition of Marvel was a brilliant decision by a brilliant business man.

Right? :veryconfu
unlike that demon named Michael...

jt04

Right! Now if only Disney could get control of ALL the licenses/rights to Marvel so they could actually incorporate them in the parks. Yes, acquiring Marvel was a brilliant idea.

Just so you know any Marvel character not featured at IoA can be used at any Disney park. But possibly more important, any new Marvel characters can be used at WDW. That is where your attention should be focused. Don't underestimate Marvel's abilities to create new characters. Well, I guess you could but that would be poor judgement.

~a deluge of profit~

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Moore, Keaton, Buble, Vick, Waltrip

~Spelling still matters whether you like the weather or not ~

jt04

Moore, Keaton, Buble, Vick, Waltrip

~Spelling still matters whether you like the weather or not ~

I was zinging 74 who is obsessed with Iger's stint as a television weatherman. Suprised you didn't pick up on that.

~long term forcast is for heavy profit with occasional gusts~

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Just so you know any Marvel character not featured at IoA can be used at any Disney park. But possibly more important, any new Marvel characters can be used at WDW. That is where your attention should be focused. Don't underestimate Marvel's abilities to create new characters. Well, I guess you could but that would be poor judgement.

~a deluge of profit~

True, but it would just be better all around if Disney could get it ALL. Oh, and I have no doubt about Marvels abilities to create new characters. It's just sad that Disney can't fully bank off the Marvel universe like they could if they had all the licenses and rights to the franchise. Obviously they'll will profit handsomely from The Avengers, but to be able to see them in the parks with rides and other merchandise would be great!
Whether Disney will actually use any character not at IoA in the parks for anything other than a pic on the monorail remains to be seen; here's to hoping. :D

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
True, but it would just be better all around if Disney could get it ALL. Oh, and I have no doubt about Marvels abilities to create new characters. It's just sad that Disney can't fully bank off the Marvel universe like they could if they had all the licenses and rights to the franchise. Obviously they'll will profit handsomely from The Avengers, but to be able to see them in the parks with rides and other merchandise would be great!
Whether Disney will actually use any character not at IoA in the parks for anything other than a pic on the monorail remains to be seen; here's to hoping. :D

My guess is with the popularity of this franchise, Disney is busy trying to figure out the best way to do with the characters as they wish. They can use them at will on the West Coast as it is. Just need to figure out how to get the whole US qualified as the West Coast. :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was zinging 74 who is obsessed with Iger's stint as a television weatherman. Suprised you didn't pick up on that.

~long term forcast is for heavy profit with occasional gusts~

Oops...my bad

~too early in the morning~

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
My guess is with the popularity of this franchise, Disney is busy trying to figure out the best way to do with the characters as they wish. They can use them at will on the West Coast as it is. Just need to figure out how to get the whole US qualified as the West Coast. :lol:

:lol::lol:

jt04

The limitations on use of IoA characters seems to me to be an extremely minor annoyance at this point. I mean, Disney owns this mega franchise now and their little sidekick down the road HAS to market it. Not only that but that Disney gets a chunk of the profits generated by IoA. The irony is almost too much to believe. They have to be scoffing at Uni's dilemma in the Disney board room.

Just amazing.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
The limitations on use of IoA characters seems to me to be an extremely minor annoyance at this point. I mean, Disney owns this mega franchise now and their little sidekick down the road HAS to market it. Not only that but that Disney gets a chunk of the profits generated by IoA. The irony is almost too much to believe. They have to be scoffing at Uni's dilemma in the Disney board room.

Just amazing.

Yeah, so ridiculous! :brick::brick::brick:

GLaDOS

Just amazing.

Disney comes nothing close to getting a "chunk of the profits generated by IoA". They get a modest sum, but it's far from what' they'd make if they had the characters in their park.

Californian Elitist

There are ideas within the Disneyland community that our third park should be based on Marvel. I don't know the chances of that happening but I love the idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom