The Athletic Sock Conspiracy

GenerationX

Original Poster
A couple of months ago, my sock drawer was running low. Like any normal American, my first thought was "I need to go out and buy new socks." I don't usually buy any of the clothing in our house, but I figured I could handle plain, white athletic socks without too much controversy.

So, I bought some and put them on the next weekend. They had that cushy feeling on the bottom, and I figured everything was fine. Later, I noticed a dull pain in both legs. I pulled the socks back and discovered deep indentations from the top elastic band. I'm thinking, "What kind of an idiot messes up buying socks?!" Though, I was sure I had purchased the right size. I scrunched them down closer to my ankle thinking this would help. After a short period of time, this was also painful and indentations had already started forming.

I tried a second brand of new socks, then a third. Pain. Indentations. All of them. I don't weigh any more than I did a few years ago when athletic socks were last purchased in my house. Nor have I worked out any more and developed calves of steel. My old, frighteningly threadbare socks do not leave indentations. I'm afraid of sounding like an old codger here ("back in the good old days ... "), but I'll say it anyway. Socks aren't made like they used to be. Now, you kids get off of my lawn!

Rather than cutting off circulation to my feet (I figure I need 'em for a few more years), I started cutting through the elastic bands of the new socks. This seemed to work reasonably well, though wearing shorts was out of the question; I may be a geek, but I'm not a dweeb.

After many Google searches as to the cause of the new sock circulation strangling situation, there does not appear to be an answer. That, in and of itself, means there is an answer and someone is hiding it (no, not on the "dark net"). The ONLY thing that makes any sense to me is that sock manufacturers are colluding to get us to mangle their product so that it won't survive many washings. And we'll have to buy more of their product.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomena? Does anyone have a more plausible explanation? Does anyone know of a good therapist in the Chicago area?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I know what you mean about the elastic at the top of (crew-length) sport socks; it's uncomfortable, even for people like us of average weight. Even the Gold Toe brand is disappointing. I've also cut through the elastic out of frustration (I didn't want to throw out some perfectly good socks otherwise). When wearing sneakers now, I've switched to the "no show" low ankle styles and they're comfortable.

On the few occasions that I want to wear a crew-length sock, I've found that places like Walgreens, for example, sell socks for people with circulation problems due to diabetes or other medical issues, and those socks do not have any tight elastic at the tops. The only drawback is that they're not as padded in the foot as most athletic socks, but at least they don't tightly bind at the top.

NYwdwfan

I'm with Minnie - I wear the no-show socks. But I am the official sock buyer in my household and can say my husband has settled on Hanes as acceptable socks. My son also wears Hanes with no issues. I can't help you with the therapist but I'm sure someone around here stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and will be more than happy to offer their expertise.

Nemo14

You know, now that you mention it, I had similar problems with socks for my mother this summer. Given her age (95) and low activity, we were blaming it on her feet and legs swelling, so we'd elevate her feet more often. I ended up cutting through some of the elastic to alleviate the problem.

GenerationX

Original Poster
For athletic crew socks, I'll have to try Hanes. I may have already tried them, but I'll look for them in a store and see if the packaging looks familiar. If that doesn't work, I'll have to switch to the no-show socks.

In the meantime, I'll keep cutting the defective crew socks I have.

So, based on the responses here, I'm not going completely crazy. Evil sock manufacturers have in fact colluded to put the squeeze on our collective feet. If I find a pair that actually works (Hanes?), as a consumer service to all, I'll post it here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom