The Art of Racing in the Rain

seascape

Original Poster
This is the type of movie I want Disney to let Fox make. I love dogs and movies like this. It is a sad story with happy ending. It was an inexpensive movie to make and should make a profit. Fisney needs to alloe Fox and Fox Searchlight make movies that are not blockbusters. Disney should be the leader in all types of movies, not every movie needs to gross hundreds of millions at the boxoffice. I also really enjoyed Breakthrough.

Tony Perkis

Disney should be the leader in all types of movies
Hahahaha, what?

Disney and Fox specialize in very specific moviegoing genres that appeal to specific audiences, and that’s fine, but don’t pretend Disney is the leader in all types of films. Nor should they. That’s an absolute absurd assessment to make.

Disney will never, and should never, be the leader in theatrically horror films. Universal is the clear champion in that genre.

Disney will never be the leader in experimental, art house filmmaking. You will never see Disney take creative risks like Midsommar, Hereditary, Annihilation, Mid 90’s, Room, Moonlight, and such. Boutique studios like Neon and A24 own those markets.

Disney is largely absent from the awards season circuit, outside of technical awards and animation. Universal, Paramount, and WB are much bigger players. Hell, not counting the token nominations after the Academy expanded the Best Picture nomination total, it’s only ever been nominated once.

You can’t just say Fox covers all the other territory that Disney doesn’t want to tarnish its name (like Touchstone) with rated R films.

Disney and Fox have the market mostly surrounded in family entertainment, musicals, sci-fi, animation, and superheroes (along with WB). But they are far from the leader in every type of film, nor should they be.

seascape

Original Poster
Hahahaha, what?

Disney and Fox specialize in very specific moviegoing genres that appeal to specific audiences, and that’s fine, but don’t pretend Disney is the leader in all types of films. Nor should they. That’s an absolute absurd assessment to make.

Disney will never, and should never, be the leader in theatrically horror films. Universal is the clear champion in that genre.

Disney will never be the leader in experimental, art house filmmaking. You will never see Disney take creative risks like Midsommar, Hereditary, Annihilation, Mid 90’s, Room, Moonlight, and such. Boutique studios like Neon and A24 own those markets.

Disney is largely absent from the awards season circuit, outside of technical awards and animation. Universal, Paramount, and WB are much bigger players. Hell, not counting the token nominations after the Academy expanded the Best Picture nomination total, it’s only ever been nominated once.

You can’t just say Fox covers all the other territory that Disney doesn’t want to tarnish its name (like Touchstone) with rated R films.

Disney and Fox have the market mostly surrounded in family entertainment, musicals, sci-fi, animation, and superheroes (along with WB). But they are far from the leader in every type of film, nor should they be.
I wish they had kept both Fox 2000 and Fox Searchlight. However having Fox and Fox Searchlight still allows Disney to have movies in all categories. And yes, I want horror movies too. Why shouldn't they have horror movies and even a scarey Halloween party. They should offer all sorts of entertainment for every possible market. Disney plus is for families and children. Hulu is for adults. I know they are not the leader in every type of movie but I want them to be. Iger said Fox can make R rated movies. They should slso bring back Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures.

Tony Perkis

I wish they had kept both Fox 2000 and Fox Searchlight. However having Fox and Fox Searchlight still allows Disney to have movies in all categories. And yes, I want horror movies too. Why shouldn't they have horror movies and even a scarey Halloween party. They should offer all sorts of entertainment for every possible market. Disney plus is for families and children. Hulu is for adults. I know they are not the leader in every type of movie but I want them to be. Iger said Fox can make R rated movies. They should slso bring back Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures.
It’s more complicated than that, and it requires moves that I don’t think Disney is capable of making.

First, Disney has to establish a brand for these alternative releases, or reuse a prior banner. That’s the easy part.

Then, Disney has to attract talented filmmakers to ditch their current studios in favor of Disney. This is the hard part, because this is where you need to give complete creative control over to these filmmakers. You have a hard rated R film that has awful language, grotesque violence and gore, overt sexuality, and more. Disney has to be ok with that, and encourage that sort of creativity, or else why would the Ari Aster’s of the world leave Blumhouse and A24?

I don’t think Disney would be willing to fund those projects and offer creative control, so they won’t be the leader in all types of films for that specific reason.

seascape

Original Poster
It’s more complicated than that, and it requires moves that I don’t think Disney is capable of making.

First, Disney has to establish a brand for these alternative releases, or reuse a prior banner. That’s the easy part.

Then, Disney has to attract talented filmmakers to ditch their current studios in favor of Disney. This is the hard part, because this is where you need to give complete creative control over to these filmmakers. You have a hard rated R film that has awful language, grotesque violence and gore, overt sexuality, and more. Disney has to be ok with that, and encourage that sort of creativity, or else why would the Ari Aster’s of the world leave Blumhouse and A24?

I don’t think Disney would be willing to fund those projects and offer creative control, so they won’t be the leader in all types of films for that specific reason.
I kind of agree with you that Disney wont do this. Howeveŕ they should. For horror they don't have to steel producers and directors, they could develop their own. They currently have a development program and they should expand it. They have the advantage of size and owning Hulu. Hulu needs lots of programming in all areas to compete with Netflix. Remember, Disney has to fill Hulu and all their cable channels and horror would go great with a villains themepark.

Tony Perkis

I kind of agree with you that Disney wont do this. Howeveŕ they should. For horror they don't have to steel producers and directors, they could develop their own. They currently have a development program and they should expand it. They have the advantage of size and owning Hulu. Hulu needs lots of programming in all areas to compete with Netflix. Remember, Disney has to fill Hulu and all their cable channels and horror would go great with a villains themepark.
They should, yes, I agree. But that is an idealistic point of view that we both know with never come to fruition.

I am not convinced Disney will compete with Netflix on rated R content. I’d be thrilled if they did, because that’s required to push creativity, but I need to see a true financial commitment from them before believing their promises.

seascape

Original Poster
They should, yes, I agree. But that is an idealistic point of view that we both know with never come to fruition.

I am not convinced Disney will compete with Netflix on rated R content. I’d be thrilled if they did, because that’s required to push creativity, but I need to see a true financial commitment from them before believing their promises.
They signed a deal with Bleecker Street films to be on HUlU. They should make their own. Iger has put all the pieces together. His replacement is the one who has to finish the job. Iger is right as far as protecting the Disney part of the company. Disney must remain Disney but Eisner was right is developing Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures. If Iger had continued to develop them the company would have been better off and may not have had to buy Fox.

The issue today for Disney is, do they really want to be numbrr 1. They could turn Fox into Disney but that would be a huge mistake. They must make movies for everyone or they will destroy one of Hollywood's greatest studios and deserve to fail. If you go back to the threads concerning the Fox merger, you will see I feared Disney would stop making Fox Searchlight snd Fox 2000 movies. I said Disney needs to make all types of movies for all types of audiences. Bring back Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and Fox 2000. Have each label specialize in different category.

HULU should compete with Netflix. HULU with live TV should compete with Cable Television and the other over the top TV streamers. Disney Plus is special and is hard to complete against for the full family market. ESPN plus should compete with Comcast and the new Fox for sports. However only Disney can package everything together. Make Walt and Roy proud, make The Walt Disney Company complete. Excel is all areas of Motion Pictures and Television. Continue Walt's legacy in the themeparks brining them all around the world.

Tony Perkis

They signed a deal with Bleecker Street films to be on HUlU. They should make their own. Iger has put all the pieces together. His replacement is the one who has to finish the job. Iger is right as far as protecting the Disney part of the company. Disney must remain Disney but Eisner was right is developing Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures. If Iger had continued to develop them the company would have been better off and may not have had to buy Fox.

The issue today for Disney is, do they really want to be numbrr 1. They could turn Fox into Disney but that would be a huge mistake. They must make movies for everyone or they will destroy one of Hollywood's greatest studios and deserve to fail. If you go back to the threads concerning the Fox merger, you will see I feared Disney would stop making Fox Searchlight snd Fox 2000 movies. I said Disney needs to make all types of movies for all types of audiences. Bring back Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and Fox 2000. Have each label specialize in different category.

HULU should compete with Netflix. HULU with live TV should compete with Cable Television and the other over the top TV streamers. Disney Plus is special and is hard to complete against for the full family market. ESPN plus should compete with Comcast and the new Fox for sports. However only Disney can package everything together. Make Walt and Roy proud, make The Walt Disney Company complete. Excel is all areas of Motion Pictures and Television. Continue Walt's legacy in the themeparks brining them all around the world.

Disney doesn’t need to be #1 in everything, and that’s a good thing. A healthy industry requires that multiple players step up and offer something wholly unique that other studios simply can’t match.

A studio that is the best at everything competes against itself, which leads to product cannibalization, which then leads to fewer scheduled releases, which then to making more strategically and commercially viable choices to excel on the more limited release schedule, which then leads to fewer films that take risks, which is logically where the other studios would pick up the slack.

Disney cannot, and should not, be the best at everything.

seascape

Original Poster
Disney doesn’t need to be #1 in everything, and that’s a good thing. A healthy industry requires that multiple players step up and offer something wholly unique that other studios simply can’t match.

A studio that is the best at everything competes against itself, which leads to product cannibalization, which then leads to fewer scheduled releases, which then to making more strategically and commercially viable choices to excel on the more limited release schedule, which then leads to fewer films that take risks, which is logically where the other studios would pick up the slack.

Disney cannot, and should not, be the best at everything.
Of course you are right that Disney does not have to be the best at every category of movies. However if it does not try to produce many catagories it can fail. Superhero movies are current doing very well but there will come a day that Marvel films are no longer popular. Walt made live action movies and Nature movies to go as ling with his animation. He knew he needed a variety of movies to ensure on going success.

Now do I think Disney could ever be the best in ever catagory of movies every year no. I also think you are right that if they tried to have one studio do it all they would be torn into too many directors and mess it up. However the current model of having different Studio Divisions produce different movies and specialized in their own area is brilliant. I still wish Disney had kept both Fox 2000 and Fox Searchlight because they were slightly different.

Disney now has more than enough movie divisions to make movies in all sorts of catagoried; Pixar, Lucas, Marvel, Disney Animation, Disney live action, Disney Nature, Fox Studios, Fox Searchlight and Fox Blue Sky. I believe they are making the correct decision in having Disney Animation, Pixar and Blue Sky compete with each other. Competition is good and having different divisions compete against others and still specialize will ensure long term survival and success. It will make picking release dates difficult but it can be done. Combined they should release between 22 and 26 movies a year and make sure a horror and Christmas movie are made and released every year. The theaters need to know they will continue to get enough high quality movies from The Walt Disney Company because they are the only ones to support the theatrical release window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom