The Ample Hills that could have been

Canfield2

Original Poster
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I heard a really interesting interview with the founders of Ample Hills today that I wanted to share. If you haven’t been following, they were the AMAZING ice cream shop at the Boardwalk that closed unexpectedly. They were scheduled to open another location at DS this year, but they declared bankruptcy and lost the business. The interview talks about their Brooklyn stores but also a lot about Disney and what the plans were for the DS location, working with WDI, etc.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...d-jackie-cuscuna/id1512683338?i=1000489935778

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What?! I LOVED that place.

They got in over their heads while constructing a large scale Ice Cream plant. So the business went bankrupt and was purchased by Schmitt Industries. The Brooklyn locations have reopened as well as a new store in Long Beach CA. Disney no so much.

JohnD

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I heard a really interesting interview with the founders of Ample Hills today that I wanted to share. If you haven’t been following, they were the AMAZING ice cream shop at the Boardwalk that closed unexpectedly. They were scheduled to open another location at DS this year, but they declared bankruptcy and lost the business. The interview talks about their Brooklyn stores but also a lot about Disney and what the plans were for the DS location, working with WDI, etc.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...d-jackie-cuscuna/id1512683338?i=1000489935778

It's not entirely "unexpectantly". Many businesses have gone under because of COVID. So, if their stores were in Brooklyn and WDW, it's no wonder they closed. NYC is still closed down in many areas because of COVID. And with WDW closed for several months, no income to that store either. It's sad but not entirely unexpected either.

slipperalwaysfits

It already has one: Beaches and Cream. Although not on "The Boardwalk" proper, it's accessible by boat from The Boardwalk.

That is why I said BOARDWALK could use an Ice Cream shop. Two shops may cut down on the line and give people more flexibility. I know there's a walk-up window at Beaches and Cream but I also know a lot of people who loved the flexibility of Ample Hills.

JohnD

That is why I said BOARDWALK could use an Ice Cream shop. Two shops may cut down on the line and give people more flexibility. I know there's a walk-up window at Beaches and Cream but I also know a lot of people who loved the flexibility of Ample Hills.

It's not like you can't hop on a boat and get to the other side of the lake.

correcaminos

It's not entirely "unexpectantly". Many businesses have gone under because of COVID. So, if their stores were in Brooklyn and WDW, it's no wonder they closed. NYC is still closed down in many areas because of COVID. And with WDW closed for several months, no income to that store either. It's sad but not entirely unexpected either.
They were in financial trouble looong before covid hit. They posted significant 2019 loses and filed in mid March before anything pandemic related happened. Their store fronts were profitable, while other areas were not. The buy out gave them only enough to cover debts. Not much else. They were not good at certain business aspects tbh

UNCgolf

Yeah but beaches and cream is just something you can buy at a local store for a fraction of the price. Ample Hills was home-made special.

They screwed up when building Ample Hills, though. It looked like something you'd find at a random mall rather than something that belonged on a turn of the century boardwalk. Even if the ice cream was better at Ample Hills (and it was), the previous ice cream/sweet shop on the Boardwalk was still better overall because it was themed properly.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I know I'm most likely in the minority but I didn't really find their ice cream that great, especially for the price.
Better than Edy's across the water. I can buy that at home, but don't. That's hugely over priced compared to what AH was which at least wasn't an icy mess.

I still miss the gelato at BC marketplace tbh. Both good and well priced!

Phonedave

They had/have a store in NJ as well. The made good ice cream, but as a business they were not the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom