The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

sponono88

So back to the 60th celebration discussion.. Possible spoilers below!!

-
-
-
-

New testing for WoC Celebrate shows something interesting going on with Mickey's head on the fun wheel. Projection grids seem to indicate they found a way to project onto Mickey's face to animate it during the show. Should be pretty cool if they can pull it off successfully!

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So back to the 60th celebration discussion.. Possible spoilers below!!

-
-
-
-

New testing for WoC Celebrate shows something interesting going on with Mickey's head on the fun wheel. Projection grids seem to indicate they found a way to project onto Mickey's face to animate it during the show. Should be pretty cool if they can pull it off successfully!

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Thank you.

Yes, it seems Disney wants to use Mickey's mouth on the Fun Wheel to help narrate/host the show. Should be interesting.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'll report back on the state of Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh later. Psyched that area is open again, although I've enjoyed the lack of screams from droppers in the vicinity of Haunted Mansion. This year, we didn't get a period without Splash and Fantasmic, unfortunately. I always love when that happens at the start of the year and New Orleans Square and Haunted Mansion are quiet and pleasant in the evenings. It's actually been anarchy with the Fantasmic Fastpass fiasco, even when it isn't that crowded.

Eric The Disnerd

I'll report back on the state of Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh later. Psyched that area is open again, although I've enjoyed the lack of screams from droppers in the vicinity of Haunted Mansion. This year, we didn't get a period without Splash and Fantasmic, unfortunately. I always love when that happens at the start of the year and New Orleans Square and Haunted Mansion are quiet and pleasant in the evenings. It's actually been anarchy with the Fantasmic Fastpass fiasco, even when it isn't that crowded.
What? I thought it was going to open on May 22nd. Maybe I'm not in the current Disneyland news flow. Any updates? When I saw FBD there about two weeks ago the place still seemed torn apart :/

George Lucas on a Bench

It's all open. We went on Splash and Winnie, and I got the peanut butter cookie from Pooh Corner. Boy have I missed that.

Splash looks alright. I mean, recently I was watching retro videos of Splash back in the day and everything looked a lot better. It just seems like it's crappier nowadays and, really, it is. They did fix certain things that hadn't been functioning for a while, but it's mostly just stupid things, like little things. But these stupid little things add up. I'm referring to things such as the lights on the wall next to the first Brer Fox and Brer Bear that shows the landscape. That was just dark for the longest time because they couldn't replace the light bulbs? What? Or, spinning bees in the honey pot. Why was that broken for so long? Brer Rabbit goes back and forth on his little thingy now, but it's only a matter of time before that and other things are broken. Numerous figures still don't move, such as the frogs in the goose scene or the little dudes hanging from above. It seems those will always be broken, but really, these are hardly the most advanced figures. They barely move! Can they at least do their minimal movement, Disney? The laughing place looked good though and it's nice to see the lights on the Zip-A-Dee Lady blinking again.

The best part of the whole thing was in the queue line where you can see Brer Rabbit at the end of the ride through the window and some punk kid yelled "spoilers!" I don't know, I found it hilarious.

Pooh looks exactly the same as it did before the closure, as though it was just sitting dormant. And I'm sure it was. But I mean, they could have at least repainted the heffalump scene.

TP2000

The iconic Disneyland "D' is in the news, after it and the cubicle drones in Florida who don't get it became the topic du jour here. :cool:

The OC Register has a story about 60th Castle decor with the iconic "D" being photographed as it drove down the Foothill Freeway near Tujunga on Tuesday. (WDI has a big fabrication facility in Tujunga.) Disneyland spokesmen refuse to comment, but the pictures and article say it all. This is the D decoration that will hang on the center of Sleeping Beauty Castle.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disneyland-656252-anniversary-celebration.html

From the article... "A Disneyland spokesman had no comment when shown the photos."

Really, Mr. Disneyland Spokesman? Methinks TDA needs to take it down a couple notches and relax. This is just a theme park, not a classified military project nor a secret lab finding a cure for cancer. If Disney suits and their spokesmen could just learn to take themselves and the product they sell less seriously, it would go over better with the general public.

A vague-yet-fun official statement like "You never know what you'll see on the SoCal freeways! And even more will be revealed when Disneyland's Diamond Celebration begins on May 22nd." would have been far more palatable, more fun, and even more polite than the snotty "No Comment!" statement. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Right, he said that DL fought off the cubicle drones to get it's classic D back. I'm just saying WDW has started to bring back it's D as well.
CAy-TxRVIAAAOpX.jpg:large

Am i showing my uber-geekness by confessing that i want this pattern as my room carpeting?
Yeah..probably...but i don't care.
:p

Old school WDW was awesome.
Emphasis on 'was'.

Getting back to the topic regarding the decor for Sleeping Beauty Castle now -
I really like that 'D' crest icon shown in the above article that is to be hung as the centerpiece.
Looks quite nice, and the colors are appealing.

I have to agree with others however, in saying that the 'duct tape' striping across the top of the towers looks a bit out of place.
Looking forward to seeing it in person in about four weeks.

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
The 60th nametags do look nice but, yes, very similar to the current ones. The castle is replaced with the Disneyland "D" with a diamond in the center.

It looks like it will have a sparkly background, in which case I think it will look great.

dweezil78

Numerous figures still don't move, such as the frogs in the goose scene or the little dudes hanging from above. It seems those will always be broken, but really, these are hardly the most advanced figures. They barely move! Can they at least do their minimal movement, Disney? The laughing place looked good though and it's nice to see the lights on the Zip-A-Dee Lady blinking again.

The best part of the whole thing was in the queue line where you can see Brer Rabbit at the end of the ride through the window and some punk kid yelled "spoilers!" I don't know, I found it hilarious.

Pooh looks exactly the same as it did before the closure, as though it was just sitting dormant. And I'm sure it was. But I mean, they could have at least repainted the heffalump scene.

Are the little hanging dudes actually there now (the ones right before the inside drop)? They've been MIA for at least a few years now it seems! So if they are actually there at all that's a huge plus.

Also your review of Pooh is completely counter to what I've read elsewhere. Someone else said it all looks sparkly brand new inside. I will have to check it out and see for myself!

Also... speaking of MIA, anyone know what's up with the donkey from Pirates along with one of the chasing couples earlier in the ride? Both have been missing since at least the holidays now. The self-playing piano was too around the same time, but that finally showed up a month or so ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom