Trip Report The 3rd Wheel, 3rd Annual, 4th Time Disney Closed Trip

Hi friends:)

This sure was a different trip for many reasons, the big one- being there during the hurricane.

The original title I was planning on was: The Third Wheel, Third Annual Food & Wine trip, but after being there during the hurricane I think that deserves some acknowledgement haha.

This is the third year that my best friend, Emily, and I went to Disney for for Food & Wine. The third wheel comes in because Emily’s husband, JP, would be joining us this year. I’ve known JP just as long as I’ve known Emily, so no awkwardness as it may seem going with my best friend & her husband. The third wheel part is also a joke because if you ask any of our friends, and JP, they would say JP is more of the third wheel between us haha :joyfull:

These were the original plans, but MUCH of this changed throughout the trip, thank you Matthew:cautious:

WHEN:
Wednesday, October 5th – Sunday, October 9th.

WHERE:
We were doing a split stay between The Boardwalk and Saratoga Springs. I couldn’t believe when I saw the Boardwalk came up at such a good rate. I’ve always wanted to stay at one of the EPCOT resorts, and being there during food & wine would be perfect. I’ve also never stayed at Saratoga so was looking forward to checking that one off this list too.

PLANS:
Wednesday: Magic Kingdom, only night for Wishes & the LAST time we’d get to see the electrical parade:cry:

Thursday: Hollywood Studios in the morning, Food & Wine afternoon & night

Friday: The Chew taping in the morning, Magic Kingdom in the afternoon, Hoop Dee Doo (Emily’s only request this trip).

Saturday: Animal Kingdom in the morning, more Food and Wine

Sunday: Emily & JP leave early, no real plans for my morning

I was actually kind of hesitant on even making this trip happen. I was just there in July, and already had a trip planned for November, I knew I’d be relentlessly teased for going "AGAIN." I was also a bit wary on spending 4.5 days nonstop with JP. He’s a great friend, and him and Emily are perfect for each other, but you know how some people are just more difficult to be around, especially in close quarters for a long period of time…
Emily would bring up the trip and I’d kind of push it away, but felt bad because she’s used all her time off for other people this year (weddings, etc), this was the one thing she wanted for herself.

When I saw that my only options for hotels were 1 bedroom suites, that made me feel a bit better so we’d have some more space. Then when I saw The Chew would be filming the same week, I was even more excited. I love that show and the people on it, and have a few buddies that work there so was hopeful we’d get to go to a taping. THEN when they announced the Electrical Parade would be ending that weekend, it sealed the deal and the trip was on!

Off we go…or do we?

samantha788

Original Poster
SUNDAY-OCTOBER 9th
Wanted to take some pictures of the room, sorry it was a mess:oops:

One last look of Tower of Terror from the balcony!

Emily and JP had an earlier flight so they didn’t have time to head anywhere in the morning. I had about 2.5-3 hours to spend and my priority was Beauty and The Beast. I was able to get a fastpass for that, Tower of Terror and the Frozen Sing a long, but because of the way they were scheduled, I wouldn’t have time for Frozen.

I enjoyed the walk over, it was a beautiful morning.

This snapchat filter made me laugh, I couldn’t help myself…

samantha788

Original Poster
After the show, I had plenty of time before my magical express pick up but there was a pretty good wait for anything, so I took my time walking back to the resort and around the boardwalk. It was the most perfect day, it made it even harder to leave. But I grabbed my bags and waited for the saddest ride of all, the magical express.

Between staring at the Swan & Dolphin for days, learning just how awesome the location is, and @bee last report - I really want to stay here sometime!!

I see you Spaceship Earth :)

Onto the magical express and back to the airport :(

I had lots of time when I got to the airport so went to grab a bite to eat, while there I ran into my buddy that works at The Chew! We talked all about how the hurricane impacted their schedule, and luckily they had a smooth set up and were ready to go days early when they had too – and still had to deal with rain :) It was cool to catch up and hear about their experience too.

It was a smooth and easy flight home and soon enough I was back in a rainy & cold NJ but reunited with my new roomie, Lenny :inlove:

samantha788

Original Poster
Overall it was a fun and different trip. The hurricane definitely changed some things, and our moods before & during the trip - we just had to keep reminding ourselves it's all out of our hands.
I always love the time I get to spend with Emily since we don't get to see each other too often, even if it is stuck in our hotel room :)
Being there during the hurricane did end up being a cool experience - not that many people have experienced a full shut down of Disney World before haha. I though overall they did a good job at our resort keeping everyone entertained.

My favorite thing was probably The Boardwalk - as much as I would have loved to check out the room we were supposed to have at Saratoga, I was very happy we got to stay where we were. The location just can not be beat, especially with all of our trips in and out of EPCOT and Hollywood Studios.
We enjoyed food & wine again this year, and I think it's safe to say we'll have a 4th annual food & wine trip next year :)

Looking ahead - I can't believe I leave for my next trip next Friday!! We've been planning this one for a very long time as two of my best friends from work share a birthday weekend and one has never been to Disney before!! My one friend grew up in Florida so a few of her friends are going to join us next Saturday for her birthday, and another one of our co-workers will be there the same time so will meet up with us Sunday!
I'm also really excited that there are a few new things that we'll get to see and it will be ALL Christmas :inlove::inlove:

Rough plans are -
FRIDAY 11/11:
Magic Kingdom in the afternoon
Poly for drinks, Holiday Wishes fireworks viewing & Kona Cafe Dinner

SATURDAY 11/12:
Animal Kingdom morning
Hollywood Studios afternoon
Hoop Dee Doo Birthday dinner #1

SUNDAY 11/13:
EPCOT - Food & Wine
Coral Reef Birthday Dinner #2

MONDAY 11/15:
Magic Kingdom
NEW Hollywood Studios Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam!
NEW Magic Kingdom Once Upon A Time show
:D

@Doc Disney & @prfctlyximprct, I so hope I see you -if our plans overlap at all, let me know - i'd love to meet!! :):)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It was the most perfect day, it made it even harder to leave.

This may be the truest statement ever. :)

The location just can not be beat,

Also very true. I love staying at the Boardwalk. Occasionally I kick myself for not buying my DVC there instead of Old Key West. BW was under construction at the time (1998).

Lennie is a cutie!

samantha788

Original Poster
thank you for the awesome trip report!
Thank you for reading! :)

I will be in the MK on Friday the 11th! I have a dining reservation for BOG at 7:25 pm and I was assured I would be able to keep it even though its a Christmas party...we will see if that holds true...haha
Yay! THen maybe this time we will actually get to meet!
I saw an open dinner reservation at BOG that night too and was about to book it then got nervous because of the time haha:oops:

This may be the truest statement ever. :)

Also very true. I love staying at the Boardwalk. Occasionally I kick myself for not buying my DVC there instead of Old Key West. BW was under construction at the time (1998).

Lennie is a cutie!
Even if it was nice at home, it still wouldn't make it easier to leave:rolleyes:
I liked Old Key West when we stayed there :) Theming is beautiful but oh my goodness it is huge haha

LisaBelle

Never too many Beauty and the Beast photos for me. I also love that show. In fact I liked it better than the Broadway in Cincinnati show I saw last year. My sister and I were super excited to see it and enjoyed it, but didn't love it.
Glad that your trip wasn't completely ruined by Hurricane Matthew, but sad that Emily didn't get to see Hoop de Doo.
Loved seeing the Boardwalk resort. I have never stayed at an Epcot resort and I think it would be very fun to be able to walk to Epcot and HS.
Lenny is a very cute new roomie!
Lucky you going back again so soon! Sounds like a fun trip. I will keep my fingers crossed that you will run into @Doc Disney and/or @prfctlyximprct.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Please tag me in on your next TR!

NutsForFlorida

You took some really good pictures. Too bad the hurricane messed things up for you. You 3 looked like you were having a lot of fun. All these trip reports make me wish I was going to Disney now and not in February. 100 days! Have fun this weekend.

samantha788

Original Poster
Never too many Beauty and the Beast photos for me. I also love that show. In fact I liked it better than the Broadway in Cincinnati show I saw last year. My sister and I were super excited to see it and enjoyed it, but didn't love it.
Glad that your trip wasn't completely ruined by Hurricane Matthew, but sad that Emily didn't get to see Hoop de Doo.
Loved seeing the Boardwalk resort. I have never stayed at an Epcot resort and I think it would be very fun to be able to walk to Epcot and HS.
Lenny is a very cute new roomie!
Lucky you going back again so soon! Sounds like a fun trip. I will keep my fingers crossed that you will run into @Doc Disney and/or @prfctlyximprct.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Please tag me in on your next TR!
Thanks so much Lisa! You would love staying at an EPCOT resort, a totally new experience!

You took some really good pictures. Too bad the hurricane messed things up for you. You 3 looked like you were having a lot of fun. All these trip reports make me wish I was going to Disney now and not in February. 100 days! Have fun this weekend.
Thank you so much! Even though I was just there, the excitement of another trip never lessens - I can't wait to be off to the happiest place on Friday-especially with a new holiday in season at the parks and new shows to see!
February is just around the corner, it'll be here before you know it! :)

samantha788

Original Poster
I am brave enough to admit that I cried during portions of the show. It's so beautifully done. One of my favorite Disney movies (Lady and the Tramp being the other).
Always makes me tear up and get chills! Every single time. I think a lot of that too is such great memories watching that show with my family going back to our first visits in the early 90's!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom