The 3 Mountains

Chape19714

Original Poster
Ok, I was at the Magic Kingdom Thursday and it started to lightning at about 8:15 or so. I was near the Haunted Mansion headed for Thunder Mountain when this happened. I asked the friendly CM outside the mansion if BTMRR would be closed (expecting an dumb look and a yes) however, he was very nice and said "probally all three mountains are down right now." I was fine with that answer until something struck me in line for the HM (no it was not lightning!:hammer: ) He said ALL THREE mountains, so my question is does Space Mountain close in lightning?????? :confused: It's INSIDE, how could lightning be a threat?? Anyway, could anyone tell me why this is, it seems rather odd. I know some SM CM's visit the boards, so, could you possibly answer my question?

Thanks

egionet

No Space Mountain does not close during lightning. But the Barnstormer, although not a mountain but still a roller coaster, does close during the bad weather. He might have just been confused or just thinking of the mountains in Frontierland.

Chape19714

Original Poster
Originally posted by egionet
No Space Mountain does not close during lightning. But the Barnstormer, although not a mountain but still a roller coaster, does close during the bad weather. He might have just been confused or just thinking of the mountains in Frontierland.

Thanks, i thougt so, but I still said to him on the way out "Even Space Mountain" and he said yes.
hmmm...he may have been confused...o well, no big deal!

MonorailGreen

A Space Mountain cast member once told me (when it was lightning out) that his ride was better than the other two mountains because THEY have to close. He said that Space Mountain "never closes"!! Just a funny thought =)

se8472

space CAN close if it gets bad enought.

In terms of what happened on thursday...That might have been the day there was a powe surge/brown out all around the resort and most major rides went down including space.

But for some reason that seemed like it was friday

I was chilling at load2 on a side when it happend and I was like crap.......that is double e-stop and sure enought my e-stop button starts blinking.

figmentfan

Space Mountain can close..............

One morning, I was wanting to go on Space Mountain, but the ride was closed. There was a bird in the building, so they could not operate the ride until they caught the bird.

My question is.............how did it get into Space Mountain?

JBSLJames

I know of two 'mountains' that don't close during lightening. They do temporarily shut down monthly but usually re-open with much pomp and circumstance.

:lookaroun

DigitalDisney

It also could have very well had mechanical or sensor problems. At some point, almost every one of us has either seen on SM with it's lights on, gotten stuck on the ride, or been in line when it broke.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by JBSLJames
I know of two 'mountains' that don't close during lightening. They do temporarily shut down monthly but usually re-open with much pomp and circumstance.

:lookaroun

Huh??? Not getting the reference. Can you explain?

awallaceunc

We were there the 2nd week of June last year, and one of the worst rain & thunder storms I've ever seen rolled into the MK for about 45 minutes. The Barnstormer was the first to close (we were on the last run of it- lightning was beginning when we were on it). Then they told us over there that Splash & BTMR were down, so we headed to Space. It also closed. It seems like a CM told us there were electrical concerns they closed it, but I vaguely remember that, so I'm not entirely sure that's what was said. I just know that it did close due to lightning for about 30 minutes.

-Aaron

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom