The 2010's - A Disneyland Resort Decade In Review!

TP2000

Original Poster
I got home from Christmas vacation a few hours ago, I'm still on Hawaii time, and while flying across the Pacific this thread idea came to me. Surprisingly, Hawaiian Airlines has no WiFi service on its planes, even the flagship routes to the West Coast on their big new A330's, so I had to jot these things down on a few cocktail napkins and wait until I got home.

Don't worry, I didn't have the stewardess bring me another Mai Tai each time I needed a new napkin.

This can be a fun thread to remember the past decade of the 2010's that is slipping away by the hour. Feel free to add your personal thoughts on each year or addition, fill in with your funny memories, correct a date we may get wrong, or add in anything I may have forgotten or can't read on the cocktail napkins.

We'll start with 2010, which kicked off the then new decade of the 2010's with literally a bang. DCA was the star of the show in Anaheim in the early Teens and 2010 saw the first in a multi-year remake and relaunch of the park everyone loved to hate.

2010 saw World of Color debut at DCA, and it set a new standard for Disney water shows on a massive scale!

33064335264_88e6451e5a_b.jpg

The CALIFORNIA letters out front got in on the colorful act, right before they were ripped out for Buena Vista Street construction.
dca001902SMALL-Disney.jpg

The first small phases of DCA's remake and relaunch also debuted that year, when the original Orange Stinger was replaced by Silly Symphony Swings. Normally you'd think "Who cares", but this retheme of an existing ride was a huge improvement over the cheap Pressler-era cement and steel it replaced and it proved that DCA's big budget rebirth was actually happening.

disney+california+adventure+rides+silly+symphony+swings.jpeg

Meanwhile, on the other side of DCA, a new concept had been hatched to help soak up the crowds waiting for their World of Color Fastpass. It was part artsy street party, part dance party, part booze party. For the first time Disneyland visitors were introduced to glowy cocktails and the world would never be the same. Glow Fest was the sleeper hit of the summer, even though it was created mainly by outside contractors and had nothing to do with "Disney", and it laid the ground work for several more similar events in the future. The 2010's were here and Glow Fest proved that Disneyland was suddenly getting hipper and looser.

All those Annual Passholders were downloading new Apps like Twitter and Instagram to show their friends how much fun they were having at Disneyland and the times were changing!

hgf061120LARGE.jpg

Merry-Margarita-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios.jpg

Over at Disneyland, the 1980's nostalgia craze hit and they brought back Captain EO to the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland. And it was still presented by Kodak, which wouldn't make it through the decade.

CaptainEOTribute3.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Which brings us to 2011 and the focus remained on DCA.

Paradise Gardens and Goofy's Sky School opened that year, extending the beautification of Paradise Pier that had started to appear in 2010. Again, more of the Pressler-era cheap cement and stucco buildings were swept away and replaced with themed structures and facilities that had charm and detail and period style.

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_1949.JPG

The big news that year was the new The Little Mermaid Ariel's Undersea Adventure ride. This ride wasn't quite the E Ticket homerun Disney had been predicting, and it required several refurbishments and tweaks over the next couple years to fix some of the most glaring errors (like that unfortunate thing with the fish in the Kiss The Girl scene). But while it wasn't an E Ticket, it was a solid D Ticket Omnimover that soaked up crowds fast and provided DCA with a big dose of classic Disney fun. And it was certainly a massive improvement over Golden Dreams that was there before. Sorry, Whoopi.

65e4f5160a5ed484bd82cf03a7cb1d37.jpg

20111120_8472.jpg

Meanwhile, across the way in Tomorrowland, a brand new version of Star Tours debuted as the first real upgrade to that ride since it debuted in 1987. Star Tours: The Adventure Continues brought a whole new look and feel to the ride, with updated technology, new characters and randomized destinations and plotlines. Disney had yet to purchase LucasFilm in 2011, but this was a hint at things to come for Disneyland.

KVDS-20170326-160249-NIKON-D5.jpg

Also at Disneyland, Mickey's Soundsational Parade debuted. It featured a talking/emoting Mickey Mouse character on the lead float who could really talk. That was new technology that was surely going to be in widespread use all over the parks within a few years, right? Right?

mickeys-soundsational-parade-00.jpg

2011 also saw the completion of a multi-year refurbishment of the Disneyland Hotel. New rooms, new grounds, new pools and waterslides, new restaurants and a new Tiki bar all opened in 2011 and gave the aging Disneyland Hotel a much needed new lease on life.

pools-disneyland-hotel-04.jpg

1*GpgdaKDMiNgVc7ZQLenjQQ.jpeg

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

I think one of my favorite memories from the 2010s at Disneyland, was being able to meet Maynard at the tiki room a few years back around 2015. Maynard has to be the greatest cast member of all time 🤣🤣! Also, I had the opportunity to meet bob gurr recently at a book signing, and I also met Richard Sherman a few years back! Both of them are so amazing and inspiring, and their contributions to the Walt Disney company are truly impactful, and have inspired me and my love for Disney!

Californian Elitist

Great thread, TP.

2011 was the year I started working at Disneyland. I’ll never do it again, but I’m glad I got the chance to work at a place I love as a guest.

It’s hard to believe DCA changed and changed yet again in less than a decade. And Soundsational... I can’t believe that parade debuted almost a decade ago. I distinctly remember seeing it for the first time as a CM when it debuted, and now it’s retired and a new parade is on the way. Very scary how fast time goes.

One of my favorite Disneyland moments this decade was seeing “A Salute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue” back in 2012. They put on such a good show and made me wish for the classic show even more. Wish I could have seen it twice.

I’ll contribute more as more come to mind.

TP2000

Original Poster
And now it's 2012, which goes down in Disneyland Resort history as a truly monumental year like 1959 or 2001.

The DCA remake was completed and the park went through a massive relaunch marketing campaign. It even included Bob Iger going on record publicly stating that the original version of DCA was just not very good and needed to be remade. 2012 did that for DCA, and the results were wildly succesful for both DCA and the Resort as a whole.

Buena Vista Street was a gorgeously Imagineered new entry for DCA, truly a worthy companion to Main Street USA 100 yards to the north. The Red Car Trolley and the swanky Carthay Circle Restaurant were hits, but all the shops and new restaurants steeped in heavy Walt history were aimed right at the SoCal crowd who were increasingly snapping up Annual Passes and spending more and more time at the parks.

2014-02-21_0046.jpg

10106733506_0b92f4d9fe_h.jpg

full

But the breakout hit of 2012 was Cars Land.

2627a6b428c7d1ec3fdc9898d8c6d3fc.jpg

The massive Radiator Springs Racers was exactly the E Ticket ride DCA needed (Little Mermaid got a second refurbishment in '12 to fix the weaknesses). To this day it still has the longest lines in the Resort, easily two to three hours during busy times.

25952586512_35fd0e2e25_b.jpg

Cars Land also had two other C Tickets, the novel yet doomed Luigi's Flying Tires, which opened with giant Italian flag beach balls in 2012 for some bizarre reason. Only John Lasseter and his bartender know for sure.

Luigis10-060912-AVP.jpg

And the much more successful Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. This ride has now been copied around the world and cloned for Orlando, Tokyo and Shanghai. This lady certainly likes it.

maters-junkyard-jamboree-6094.jpg

It took a decade and over a Billion dollars, but DCA had now been mostly fixed and was a successful park in its own right. The Disneyland Resort was all patched up and off and running into the 2010's!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
2013 was a rather mellow year, although the Resort set new attendance records on the back of all the new stuff added over at DCA.

Disneyland debuted it's new Fantasy Faire princess pavilion thing on the western flanks of Sleeping Beauty Castle. It replaced the original Carnation Plaza Gardens. It featured a small theater for stage shows, multiple meet-n-greet rooms, plus a gift shop and snack bar. Cuteness overload!

4_13_DL_015831.jpg

On the opposite side of Fantasyland, the new stage show Mickey & The Magical Map debuted.

Mickey-Magical-Map.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
And then came 2014. Um, 2014.

Can anyone think of anything for 2014? I've got nothing on my cocktail napkins, and I just did a quick Google search and came up with nothing. There must have been something.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Wonderful thread!

I took a 5 year hiatus from Disneyland from about 2008 to 2013, during which time I went to Magic Mountain quite frequently. Revisiting Disneyland as a teenager after years of Six Flags allowed me to view the park under a new lens- I was able to rediscover childhood favorites like Splash Mountain, while falling in love with things that I didn't appreciate as a child- like Fantasmic!, Great Moments With Mr Lincoln, and the Tiki Room.

I remember being blown away by the new Star Tours (an opinion that has since changed), and since I hadn't been following the resort at all- visiting DCA not knowing about any of the changes was quite the shock. I consistently had an AP from 2013-15, during which time Disneyland transitioned from a place I went solely with my family, to a place I could drive to with friends after school on a Friday. This allowed me to once again experience Disneyland in a new way.

I have a lot of really fond memories of the Diamond Celebration since I went most frequently during that time- seeing Paint The Night, Disneyland Forever, and Fantasmic! in one night was incredible. For me, that whole promotion really symbolizes the end of an era, since Galaxy's Edge started construction on the tail end of it, representing a significant departure from what Disneyland was for 60 years.

While I'm certainly not a fan of the direction the resort took in the latter half of the decade, I think 2020 is going to represent a significant turnaround for the resort, with Tomorrowland receiving the beginnings of a much needed face lift, multiple attractions getting long overdue refurbs, and Avengers Campus further improving on what was started almost 10 years ago.

TP2000

Original Poster
2015! Now there was a year! The 60th Diamond Celebration wasn't quite as massive as the 50th, but the 60th was classy and upbeat and actually brought quite a few new things to the Resort.

The theme was obviously diamonds, with heavy emphasis on the color blue. Disneyland kicked off the celebration in May, 2015 with a 24 hour party which was so crowded and so messy that they never tried it again.

Crowd-Waiting-Begin-24-Hours-Disney.jpg

But once the dust settled on the kickoff, the 60th party featured a big new night parade called Paint The Night.

maxresdefault.jpg

Plus a new fireworks show called Disneyland Forever! that used lighting and special effects on Main Street and prominent Disneyland facades around the park.

disneyland-forever-fireworks.jpg

There was also a new version of World of Color for the 60th, but the one thing I personally remember the most from that year was the exit music and "outro" after the show that played the official ballad of Disneyland's 60th called "Forever Young". I normally don't get sappy, but this song was really nice, and that clever Walt appearance at the very end from the 1962 World of Color TV episode was simply fantastic!

I thought the 60th was extremely well done and captured what so many of us like about Disneyland. It's classic and classy, but also fresh and modern. The 2010's have been good to Disneyland, and the 60th Celebration mid-decade was a perfect example of that.

@mickEblu reminded us that Grizzly Peak Airfield also debuted in 2015. Another really nice upgrade for DCA's original underwhelming bits. Out was the high desert look and and the Condor Flats name, and in was an expansion of Grizzly Peak's wilderness theme. And instead of contemporary California, the time was set as around 1960, another nod to Walt and his leadership of the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley.

And am I right in remembering that 2015 was also the year that they debuted a new HD digital version of Soarin'? It dramatically improved the image quality and presentation of that popular ride.

IMG_08101.JPG

A mint 1960 Rambler Super Cross Country station wagon joined the fleet of DCA's vintage cars on display. 1960 was the last year that now defunct American Motors sponsored Circarama in Disneyland, before the Bell System took over as sponsor. Another little "easter egg" placed in DCA in the mid 2010's that was a nod and tribute to Walt and his company.

The Imagineers were so incredibly clever and focused on DCA in the early to mid 2010's!

2015-05-22_0030.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
2016. Officially the 60th continued into 2016 in that wonderful way that the marketing team uses 15 month calendars.

But 2016 also saw a new ride at DCA, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters which replaced the dearly departed Flying Tires.

latest

This cute little C Ticket, which was more entertaining than the Flying Tires, was also the first ride in an American Disney theme park to use a wireless/trackless ride vehicle system. Clever!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
2017. This was an interesting year, and again the focus was on DCA when it came to new rides. The Tower of Terror was closed in January and reopened in May as Guardians Of The Galaxy: MISSION BREAKOUT!

IMG_0756%255B1%255D.PNG

The opening of this new ride also brought a wave of Marvel stuff to DCA that can't be called Marvel. It took over the rather bleak Hollywood Pictures Backlot with mixed success. It was called Summer Of Heroes, which is completely normal that you wouldn't include the word Marvel in your big Marvel thing.

Summer-of-Heroes-1-650x469.jpg

At Summer Of Heroes you could meet your favorite Marvel characters, play Marvel games, eat Marvel food, watch Marvel stage shows, and buy Marvel stuff made in China. But don't say Marvel!

kdjn0820.jpg

hero-up-at-summer-of-heroes-disney-cool-moms-cool-tips.png

0617avengers-training-initiative.jpg

You know they are serious about something when they bring out the random patio umbrellas to get in the way. Go 2017!
DLR-17_0608-B-SummerOfHeroes-0006.jpg

2017 also saw the closure and leveling of A Bug's Land after 15 years of fun. The four kiddy rides and the Tough To Be A Bug Show were closed to make way for Marvel Land that isn't actually called that.

EJZBkB1VUAEdh8O-1.jpg

Over at Disneyland a re-routed and re-Imagineered version of the Rivers of America debuted as part of the construction of Star Wars Land just to the north. This was controversial here on this board, but I thought it turned out really nice. In my humble opinion, Disneyland now has the most attractive and entertaining Rivers of America complex of all the Castle parks.

They had a nice little opening ceremony with the re-routed Disneyland Railroad traveling along its new riverside trestles. The train was engineered by John Lasseter. Whatever happened to that guy?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
2018. Or what we thought was the Calm Before The Star Wars Storm. And @realBobChapek brought us Pixar Fest.

Mr. Chapek, using his vast theme park experience and his intuitive understanding of what Disneyland visitors want, knew that Anaheim should flip the parades. The 11 year old Pixar Play Parade went 100 yards north to Disneyland, and the 3 year old Paint The Night went 100 yards south to DCA. Presto, it's a marketing campaign!

asjhdj47698795871-624x351.jpg

That wasn't all. Because there was plenty of bourbon in the Green Room at the previous year's D23 Expo, Mr. Chapek and John Lasseter remade Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier. It had "neighborhoods", and in it's defense it plussed up the last remaining stucco buildings in the Pier from the Pressler era. 2018 was also the year that Disney began using the words "Instagrammable moments" in its official press releases. And Pixar Pier was designed with many such moments, for those so inclined.

A7302267.jpeg

The original California Screamin' roller coaster was rethemed into the Incredicoaster, where you went on a madcap chase after a baby and then had cookies.
incredicoaster-front.jpg

And in 2018 in Pixar Pier this also happened...

BBSS3-072218-Pickering.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm going to save the post on 2019 for tomorrow because my jetlag has arrived and I want to get a good night's sleep before I try and relive the debut of Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind and whatever else happened in 2019.

What was your favorite part of the 2010's at Disneyland?

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

I first visited Disneyland in April 2011, I know that's nothing for most people on these boards but feels like forever ago for me. It was right as DCA's transformation was starting and I remember seeing bits and pieces of the old entryway/plaza still there (like the Golden Gate Bridge and the "Postcard" gift shops). It was construction walls as far as the eye could see.

I actually got kind of emotional reading this. So many of the best moments of my life this decade were in these parks. Here's to another decade.

FerretAfros

Ah, GlowFest! While there have been many imitators that tried oh-so-hard (perhaps trying too hard), none of them ever managed to quite capture the "lighting in a bottle" feel and effect of the original GlowFest, with its weird mix of neon colors, gogo dancers, faux DJs pretending to mix live, glowing drinks, and Bollywood dancers, it all just meshed together in a wonderful mix that just defied all logic. I just happened to be there for its first night (primarily for the World of Color premiere), and intentionally came to its final night of its unexpectedly-extended run (as parts of it were slowly chipped away for Red Car Trolley construction), and far too many nights in between, but there was something about it that just worked. It also signaled the beginning of a shift, that suddenly DLR was a cool place for childless 20-something APers to hang out.

The follow-up to GlowFest, ElecTRONica also marked the first time that attractions in the parks were converted into movie previews. While the sneak peek at TRON: Legacy offered additional footage and in-theater effects not seen during normal trailers, and only ran for a few hours during the evening dance party, it paved the way for nearly every theater attraction in both parks (and even the Big Thunder Ranch during a brief fever-dream for Pirates 4) to be converted away from a unique theme park attraction into nothing more than a simple movie preview. The resort started the decade with 3 big-scale 3D movie attractions, and is ending it with 0.

The winter/spring of 2011 also brought us the Family Fun Weekends, as a means to provide large-scale entertainment while portions of the parade route were blocked off for repaving. The shows changed almost weekly based on holidays like Lunar New Year, Mardi Gras, and Cinco de Mayo, and were decidedly hokey and low-budget (consisting largely of old costumes and props dusted off from the Entertainment warehouses), but captured a certain homespun earnestness that defined the Disney of my youth but hasn't really been seen since this event was retired.
MMFD.jpg

The Family Fun Weekends also laid the groundwork for the Disney Parks bi-coastal Limited Time Magic promotion the following year (including the first 24-hour party in a generation, which would return for several years after), and the seasonal events that take over DCA's Paradise Gardens area (including the popular Viva Navidad! street show). These were all more slick and well-produced, but didn't quite manage to capture the simple charm of the one-off weekends. The current trend of upcharge evening events at DL also seems to have roots in the Family Fun Weekends.

Around 2013 or so, with the ever growing base of APs and the growing social media culture, the parks also became home to a collection of "social clubs" that roamed around in matching denim jackets and vests. I really just don't know what to say about this one, but would be remiss to not include it in our recap of the decade
147693-1413265500130.jpeg

In addition to all the things that did happen this decade, we should also remember the things that didn't. In 2016 Disney announced that they would build a 4th hotel on the surface parking lots north of Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel, after many years of exceptionally high occupancy at absurd rates for their 3 aging hotels. While luxurious, the initial details and marketing artwork seemed exceptionally bland for a Disney hotel.
disneyland-luxury-hotel-art-1-1.jpg

In October 2017, the plan had been revised to take over the western end of DTD, with an elevated structure that overlooked the walkways and retail below. While a more ambitious design, the aesthetics were already becoming dated and it still lacked the whimsy and sense of place that most Disney properties have. And of course, the change in location meant that it was considered a new project by the City of Anaheim, whose Council was firmly against it. Mixed with some bad blood from the union and ill-conceived PR arguments from Disney, they found themselves fighting an uphill battle. By October 2018, those plans had been officially scrapped. Some of the hastily-shuttered facilities in DTD reopened, but that area remains a waste of space in a resort where real estate is at a premium.
10_17_WDI_9901.-900jpg.jpg

It was around this same time that the ill-conceived Eastern Gateway project was announced (after years of parking problems due to the rise in APers arriving with fewer people per vehicle than the resort infrastructure was intended for), rejected by area businesses and the City, and quietly cancelled. Instead of leaning in to the increasingly urban (relatively speaking) fabric and walkability of the Anaheim Resort District, thanks to much of the work done during DLR's initial resort expansion, the design for the new parking structure and transit plaza instead isolated itself from the surrounding area. To connect to the existing businesses along Harbor Blvd, pedestrians were required to take circuitous routes with a lot of backtracking. While the project was ultimately cancelled due to public objection to the lackluster pedestrian bridge aesthetics paired with an unfriendly Council, Disney dodged a bullet by avoiding the lack of connectivity and over-reliance on long walking distances. Instead of the Eastern Gateway, the Pixar Pals garage was hastily added to the existing Mickey & Friends, with a new pedestrian path through DTD but no other meaningful transportation improvements.
disneyland-eastern-gateway-plans.jpg

Speaking of the hotel project and DLR's relationship with the City, we would be remiss to talk about the decade and not mention the meteoric rise and fall of the west coast runDisney events during that period. At the start of the decade, there was only the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend held over Labor Day (first run in 2006), with a 5K and half marathon with about 10,000 finishers. By the middle of the decade, mirroring the nationwide running boom and the see-and-be-seen soCal culture, that had grown to 4 race weekends, each with a 5K, 10K, half marathon, and multi-race challenge, with about 46,000 annual half marathon finishers. Following the nationwide slowdown in running events, California legislative changes (not allowing volunteers to be used by for-profit companies), the planned hotel construction (on the start/finish area site), and strained relationship with the City and the extensive resources and coordination required, all races were put on an indefinite hiatus in late 2017, with seemingly no plan to ever bring them back.
0901ZX_HalfMarathon_0113PM1.jpg

Californian Elitist

2010 was the year I graduated from high school and therefore was the year of my Grad Nite. The night we went happened to fall on the night of the Lakers championship game and my class voted to watch the game in the school auditorium before heading to DL (🙄). Naturally, we got to the park way later than we were supposed to, and us ladies were disappointed to find that they weren’t letting us in, but were letting the guys in. TWO WHOLE HOURS PASSED and some random girl in the crowd yelled, “Charge!” Within seconds, all of us ran passed the CM’s, through those gates. I don’t think my ticket was even scanned.

Our first ride was Matterhorn and the line was insanely long. I remember it being more fun that night. My sister and my friends went from ride to ride, running into fellow classmates, teachers/chaperones, and high school seniors from schools around the country. The walk back to the parking lot for our bus at 6:30 in the morning was the worst. My sister and I were completely exhausted but we both had a blast.

smooch

One of my top moments is definitely experiencing Cars Land for the first time, it was before I went online to forums and seeked out Disney discussion, so I had all this excitement and interest in the parks I kept to myself and never spoiled anything for myself. Not knowing what to expect, I was blown away by the land design as well as RSR, what an incredible ride to experience with a completely blank slate.

brb1006

Which brings us to 2011 and the focus remained on DCA.

Paradise Gardens and Goofy's Sky School opened that year, extending the beautification of Paradise Pier that had started to appear in 2010. Again, more of the Pressler-era cheap cement and stucco buildings were swept away and replaced with themed structures and facilities that had charm and detail and period style.

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_1949.JPG

The big news that year was the new The Little Mermaid Ariel's Undersea Adventure ride. This ride wasn't quite the E Ticket homerun Disney had been predicting, and it required several refurbishments and tweaks over the next couple years to fix some of the most glaring errors (like that unfortunate thing with the fish in the Kiss The Girl scene). But while it wasn't an E Ticket, it was a solid D Ticket Omnimover that soaked up crowds fast and provided DCA with a big dose of classic Disney fun. And it was certainly a massive improvement over Golden Dreams that was there before. Sorry, Whoopi.

65e4f5160a5ed484bd82cf03a7cb1d37.jpg

20111120_8472.jpg

Meanwhile, across the way in Tomorrowland, a brand new version of Star Tours debuted as the first real upgrade to that ride since it debuted in 1987. Star Tours: The Adventure Continues brought a whole new look and feel to the ride, with updated technology, new characters and randomized destinations and plotlines. Disney had yet to purchase LucasFilm in 2011, but this was a hint at things to come for Disneyland.

KVDS-20170326-160249-NIKON-D5.jpg

Also at Disneyland, Mickey's Soundsational Parade debuted. It featured a talking/emoting Mickey Mouse character on the lead float who could really talk. That was new technology that was surely going to be in widespread use all over the parks within a few years, right? Right?

mickeys-soundsational-parade-00.jpg

2011 also saw the completion of a multi-year refurbishment of the Disneyland Hotel. New rooms, new grounds, new pools and waterslides, new restaurants and a new Tiki bar all opened in 2011 and gave the aging Disneyland Hotel a much needed new lease on life.

pools-disneyland-hotel-04.jpg

1*GpgdaKDMiNgVc7ZQLenjQQ.jpeg

As of 2019, the only Disney Theme Parks that didn't get the Talking Mickey heads (and his friends in general) is Tokyo Disney Resort and Shanghai Disney Resort. It's been used at the other parks for years now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom