Trip Report The “No Trip” Trip Report *COMPLETED*

There are pre-trip reports.

There are trip reports.

I’d like to welcome you to what I believe might be the first “No Trip” trip report.

My name is Tuvalu. Ok, that’s not my real name (it’s not “Shirley” either 😉) but it’s how I’m known here on WDWMagic. For the past six years I have contributed a lot of trip reports in this forum. A lot! Along the way I have met so many wonderful people and made new friends, some of whom I have had the privilege of meeting in person. Honestly the reason why I write is for you, the reader, because I cherish our interactions. (Getting to re-live my trip is just a bonus!)

My husband Woody, my daughter Em and I were supposed to be leaving for our Spring Break trip to WDW tomorrow. Of course we are sad we cannot go (and our doing our part to keep ourselves and others safe) but remain confident we WILL get to go back sometime in the future.

I had been contemplating going “live” for our trip. Woody and Em are not fans of my reporting “live” since my attention is diverted from enjoying vacation with them. However this idea for a “No Trip” trip report came straight from Woody himself!

So for the next week, if you‘d like to Journey into My Imagination and read about what could have been, I’ll be here.

5DA90856-676D-4566-A037-FCC623AE42B9.png

slipperalwaysfits

It’s now Memorial Day and Em and I are still wondering if our June trip is happening. This evening we put our minds in vacation mode and are listening to the soundtrack from the Polynesian. And Bartender Woody crafted a specialty frozen cocktail for us.

Em christened it the Tipsy Tuvalu

LOVE the Tipsy Tuvalu drink name! Rumor has it they won't open up the parks till July 1....so many rumors, so little truth....:arghh:

krisri18

It’s now Memorial Day and Em and I are still wondering if our June trip is happening. This evening we put our minds in vacation mode and are listening to the soundtrack from the Polynesian. And Bartender Woody crafted a specialty frozen cocktail for us.

Em christened it the Tipsy Tuvalu.

View attachment 472562

SLURP! :hungry:
Ooooh! What's in a Tipsy Tuvalu?? We made the watermelon cucumber slushie from Flower and Garden the other day and it was delightful! Maybe Tipsy Tuvalu can be next on the list!

MissViv

Hoping you get to go! They will cancel your reservation this Thursday, if not, correct? You should know soon.

I just wish Disney would put out something about reopening the parks. All this waiting, I'm sure, is driving the people with vacation reservations crazy. I am a planning person!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
What fun!!!! 😎
LOVE the Tipsy Tuvalu drink name!
Ooooh! What's in a Tipsy Tuvalu?? We made the watermelon cucumber slushie from Flower and Garden the other day and it was delightful! Maybe Tipsy Tuvalu can be next on the list!
We certainly enjoyed (more than one 😉) Tipsy Tuvalu ~ one part coconut rum, one part peach schnapps and two parts Dole orange peach mango juice, blended with ice.

I just wish Disney would put out something about reopening the parks. All this waiting, I'm sure, is driving the people with vacation reservations crazy. I am a planning person!!!
Disney must have heard your complaint @MissViv since they announced the reopening the day after you posted! :jawdrop:
Looks like your June trip will be cancelled. Do you have reservations already for July???
We do. Update to come.

lindawdw

We certainly enjoyed (more than one 😉) Tipsy Tuvalu ~ one part coconut rum, one part peach schnapps and two parts Dole orange peach mango juice, blended with ice.

Disney must have heard your complaint @MissViv since they announced the reopening the day after you posted! :jawdrop:

We do. Update to come.

So excited to hear what your July plans are Tuvalu!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Trip(s?) Update

Not gonna lie.

Watching every dining reservation for 4 vacays slowly disappear one-by-one over the last couple weeks was hard. Meticulously planned Fastpasses for 2 of those trips now gone. So much time spent planning ended up being a waste of time.

I understand the challenges of reopening WDW and the need for reduced capacity restrictions. What I don't understand is why Disney still allowed FPs and ADRs to be made during the closure period. Why wasn't the reservation system "on pause" two months ago like it is now?

As of yesterday, our June 20th arrival at the WL remained in MDE. I never received a single notification from Disney saying our reservation was cancelled, despite the resort being closed. Em and I actually had two WL reservations for this trip ~ our original reservation of 4 nights (when we intended to fly) and an additional 1 night following those 4 nights (when we decided to drive instead). Both reservations continued to exist as I awaited communication from the Mouse. (Though I intended to cancel both reservations, I wanted to see if Disney would reach out to me first.)

Last night I received a call from a Cast Member regarding my one night reservation for June 24. Before I could interrupt him, he told me Wilderness Lodge would not be open on the 24th and offered to move us into a studio at Boulder Ridge (DVC building) for the night. I then gave him my earlier reservation confirmation and asked why I hadn't been contacted about it. He had no idea and said he could not help me with that one....unless I wanted to cancel. (He added any modifications to my first reservation would result in a price increase even though the resort would be closed at the time of our arrival! No discounts would be applied and resort availability was very limited.)

I canceled both reservations and they are now gone from MDE.

Now July....

Em and I are due to arrive at WL on the 19th. The CM I spoke with last night did not know if the non-DVC side of the Lodge would be open, but assured me we'd have a room somewhere. It better be at WL, since Em and I intend to spend the majority of our time at the pool or relaxing in our room. We aren't sure how long we'll be able to endure wearing masks in the heat at the parks.....assuming we are even able to secure park reservations.

So why are we going at all? We need a change of scenery after sheltering at home for the past several months. Disney has always been our escape from real life, and even though there will be more "reality" at WDW than ever before, we want to experience it for ourselves. Only then will we be able to discern if we want to return while the restrictions and limitations are still in effect.

Because Disney erased all our plans for July, I'm currently unable to share any details of our vacation. Hopefully the new reservation system will be working soon and we'll finally be out of LIMBOLAND.

MickeyCB

Trip(s?) Update

Not gonna lie.

Watching every dining reservation for 4 vacays slowly disappear one-by-one over the last couple weeks was hard. Meticulously planned Fastpasses for 2 of those trips now gone. So much time spent planning ended up being a waste of time.

I understand the challenges of reopening WDW and the need for reduced capacity restrictions. What I don't understand is why Disney still allowed FPs and ADRs to be made during the closure period. Why wasn't the reservation system "on pause" two months ago like it is now?

As of yesterday, our June 20th arrival at the WL remained in MDE. I never received a single notification from Disney saying our reservation was cancelled, despite the resort being closed. Em and I actually had two WL reservations for this trip ~ our original reservation of 4 nights (when we intended to fly) and an additional 1 night following those 4 nights (when we decided to drive instead). Both reservations continued to exist as I awaited communication from the Mouse. (Though I intended to cancel both reservations, I wanted to see if Disney would reach out to me first.)

Last night I received a call from a Cast Member regarding my one night reservation for June 24. Before I could interrupt him, he told me Wilderness Lodge would not be open on the 24th and offered to move us into a studio at Boulder Ridge (DVC building) for the night. I then gave him my earlier reservation confirmation and asked why I hadn't been contacted about it. He had no idea and said he could not help me with that one....unless I wanted to cancel. (He added any modifications to my first reservation would result in a price increase even though the resort would be closed at the time of our arrival! No discounts would be applied and resort availability was very limited.)

Now July....

Em and I are due to arrive at WL on the 19th. The CM I spoke with last night did not know if the non-DVC side of the Lodge would be open, but assured me we'd have a room somewhere. It better be at WL, since Em and I intend to spend the majority of our time at the pool or relaxing in our room. We aren't sure how long we'll be able to endure wearing masks in the heat at the parks.....assuming we are even able to secure park reservations.

So why are we going at all? We need a change of scenery after sheltering at home for the past several months. Disney has always been our escape from real life, and even though there will be more "reality" at WDW than ever before, we want to experience it for ourselves. Only then will we be able to discern if we want to return while the restrictions and limitations are still in effect.

Because Disney erased all our plans for July, I'm currently unable to share any details of our vacation. Hopefully the new reservation system will be working soon and we'll finally be out of LIMBOLAND.
I didn't exactly cry like a baby, but it was close, to see all of my wonderful dining reservations disappear one by one for our October trip!:cry:
If you do go in July many many people on here will be tuned to your TR because we know you will provide us with the straight up truth on how crazy or tolerable it will be.
How's it feel to be the Magic guinea pig...errr first Disney guests?!

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

If you do go in July many many people on hear will be tuned to your TR because we know you will provide us with the straight up truth on how crazy or tolerable it will be.

Yes, we are looking forward to your first look at the new world trip report. Sorry so many of your trips got cancelled, but at least now you have a spot there!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Trip(s?) Update

Not gonna lie.

Now July....

Thanks for the update! :)
I'm glad you've decided on keeping your plans for a July visit, but boy, are you right about "LIMBOLAND", waiting for news from Disney has been frustrating. We never received any word from Disney about our canceled-by-them May trip either, at this point, we don't even know if we'll be able to modify by adding a few more nights to our existing Aug/Sept resort stay 🤷‍♀️. We are on the same boat about giving the new guidelines a try and see how we'll feel about the "new" experience.

I hope you and Em get to stay at your beloved WL, that you'll get park reservations, and that you'll enjoy your visit as much as possible. Please continue to keep us posted.

RememberWhen

It sure seems Disney is too big for its own good. This really has been a mess and the communication has been awful. I’m sad you can’t go in June but I’m glad you’re holding onto the July reservation. If we kept ours we would have just missed you. We were scheduled to leave on the 18th. I had the privilege/misfortune of canceling all our ADRs and FPs myself. It did hurt.
Im so hopeful that you and Em have a great trip by the pool. And maybe you can give us all the updates on the park reservation situation if that ever actually comes out.
❤️

lindawdw

It really has been so disorganized the way Disney has handled the cancellations. We have an October trip and it was so sad to see all our dining reservations cancelled but hopefully we'll get new ones that will be just as good. It'll be interesting to see what new restaurants are open by then. It's going to be incredibly hot in July for your trip but hopefully you'll get the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful lobby at WL along with the nice pools. Sounds like they expect you to wear masks at the pool unless you're in the pool. :( I'll look forward to hearing all about your experiences.

MissViv

Thanks so much for the update! I have been thinking about you and Em. Hope u both have a wonderful time lounging by the pool, it sounds fabulous. I agree it will be too hot to spend much time in the parks with masks on.

Can't wait to read your trip report. Take "tons" of pictures.

BuckyMom

Like everyone else, hoping you have a great trip. Can't wait to hear what the new World will be like. I'm cautiously optimistic about an early January trip to replace the cancelled 2020, but I'll just have to see. I appreciate you sharing so I have an honest idea. Thank you for all the knowledge you've shared over your reports.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn't exactly cry like a baby, but it was close, to see all of my wonderful dining reservations disappear one by one for our October trip!:cry:
If you do go in July many many people on hear will be tuned to your TR because we know you will provide us with the straight up truth on how crazy or tolerable it will be.
TBH, I do have a little trepidation about being a Magic guinea pig. I’d much rather be a regular Magician! (❤ @Darstarr)

Yes, we are looking forward to your first look at the new world trip report. Sorry so many of your trips got cancelled, but at least now you have a spot there!
There might be a trip report title in your post....🤔

Songbird76

TBH, I do have a little trepidation about being a Magic guinea pig. I’d much rather be a regular Magician! (❤ @Darstarr)

There might be a trip report title in your post....🤔
I'm not sure this whole new world was what Aladdin was wanting to show us. I could be wrong, but wasn't it supposed to be something about a magic carpet ride? True, the unbelievable sights and indescribable feelings could apply to both good and bad, but that whole "No one to tell us no, or where to go" doesn't seem to fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom