Trip Report The “No Trip” Trip Report *COMPLETED*

There are pre-trip reports.

There are trip reports.

I’d like to welcome you to what I believe might be the first “No Trip” trip report.

My name is Tuvalu. Ok, that’s not my real name (it’s not “Shirley” either 😉) but it’s how I’m known here on WDWMagic. For the past six years I have contributed a lot of trip reports in this forum. A lot! Along the way I have met so many wonderful people and made new friends, some of whom I have had the privilege of meeting in person. Honestly the reason why I write is for you, the reader, because I cherish our interactions. (Getting to re-live my trip is just a bonus!)

My husband Woody, my daughter Em and I were supposed to be leaving for our Spring Break trip to WDW tomorrow. Of course we are sad we cannot go (and our doing our part to keep ourselves and others safe) but remain confident we WILL get to go back sometime in the future.

I had been contemplating going “live” for our trip. Woody and Em are not fans of my reporting “live” since my attention is diverted from enjoying vacation with them. However this idea for a “No Trip” trip report came straight from Woody himself!

So for the next week, if you‘d like to Journey into My Imagination and read about what could have been, I’ll be here.

5DA90856-676D-4566-A037-FCC623AE42B9.png

RememberWhen

You may as well proceed with booking FPs. Can't hurt to have them.....and Disney will cancel them if the parks aren't open. (I opened MDE the other day and saw that my May FPs had gone poof!)
Thats the plan! Though my family members are not being particularly helpful in what they would like/hope for. The best I got was “I dunno. Maybe Star Wars?” So, they get what they get and they don’t get upset. Or if they do they complain to somebody else.
You still have a July trip on the books?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thats the plan! Though my family members are not being particularly helpful in what they would like/hope for. The best I got was “I dunno. Maybe Star Wars?” So, they get what they get and they don’t get upset. Or if they do they complain to somebody else.
You still have a July trip on the books?
June, July and August.
I am the eternal optimist. 🤣

Longers

You may as well proceed with booking FPs. Can't hurt to have them.....and Disney will cancel them if the parks aren't open. (I opened MDE the other day and saw that my May FPs had gone poof!)

Most time flies.....but for me the last two months' time has taken for-ev-er!!!!! Serves me right for all the years I complained about time passing too quickly. :hilarious: We had just started the initial planning for a 2021 trip with the whole family when the virus arrived. Like everything else, that's up in the air for now.

I've run into that AP FP booking glitch in the past but thought it got fixed? (Assuming you have resort reservations for all your planned trips.)
Hope you and J get to take your June vacay.

My heart is sad for all who have had trips canceled, especially those who saved and planned for a year or more. Will you be able to keep your September plans? I promise to ride BTMRR for you whenever it opens!! ❤

Who knows - everything is so unknown at the minute. I’ve seen loads of guesses for opening dates (and one today saying 2021) but until anything is announced I guess we’ll have to wait and see. And obviously the borders need to be open for the flights to leave, who knows when that might happen..

My heart aches at Disney not being open. I know I am fortunate to be able to at least get there every year, my job is good, family ok etc (I do appreciate that) but it’s still sad it’s closed. I am just hoping the world gets back to normal quickly but I don’t think it will. We can only hope!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Another Real Life Update

I have to give David's Vacation Club Rentals props.

I signed the "no refunds" contract for our points rental and gambled that we'd get to take our vacation. We figured it was low-risk. We could never have fathomed a pandemic rendering our plans impossible. When it happened, we considered our monies lost ~ disappointing for sure, but understanding that was the result of the risk we took.

When I received the initial email from David's with talk of a travel voucher, I did not get my hopes up. After all, David's is a business which stands to lose a lot of money from this pandemic. Legally they did not have to do anything for us.

I received a travel voucher for the full amount we paid, valid for another resort stay until the end of April 2022. Two years.

0A5DBC47-0344-4E8B-901B-D4024BD06963.png

Surely we’ll be able to return sometime before then? 😁

Songbird76

Another Real Life Update

I signed the "no refunds" contract for our points rental and gambled that we'd get to take our vacation. We figured it was low-risk. We could never have fathomed a pandemic rendering our plans impossible. When it happened, we considered our monies lost ~ disappointing for sure, but understanding that was the result of the risk we took.

When I received the initial email from David's with talk of a travel voucher, I did not get my hopes up. After all, David's is a business which stands to lose a lot of money from this pandemic. Legally they did not have to do anything for us.

I received a travel voucher for the full amount we paid, valid for another resort stay until the end of April 2022. Two years.

View attachment 467175

That is pretty amazing!! Wow. And so great that you can go back sometime without having to pay again! More TRs for us!!

93boomer

Premium Member
Another Real Life Update

View attachment 467175

I am so happy that worked out for you!!!

Katiekitten

Another Real Life Update

View attachment 467175

That’s great news, I’m glad they managed to work something out for you!

MissViv

That is great news! I wondered how they were going to handle the cancellations. I have never rented DVC points but have thought about it often.

I actually have a quote in (not for David's but DVC rental store) and am waiting now for my upcoming trip next October.

MickeyCB

Another Real Life Update

View attachment 467175

Ahh excellent, good for you!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
That is pretty amazing!! Wow. And so great that you can go back sometime without having to pay again! More TRs for us!!
I have a sneaking suspicion that our credit won't cover the total room cost (since David's has already increased their point rental fee) but it will be nice to have a chunk already prepaid!

I am so happy that worked out for you!!!
That’s great news, I’m glad they managed to work something out for you!
Great news!!
Ahh excellent, good for you!
Yes we were very pleased!

Wow, that's such incredible news!!! I'm so happy for you. View attachment 467179
I ❤ your Minnie!!

That is great news! I wondered how they were going to handle the cancellations. I have never rented DVC points but have thought about it often.
I actually have a quote in (not for David's but DVC rental store) and am waiting now for my upcoming trip next October.
Get trip insurance. ;)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Maybe you GOT the card, but it was like the Star of Asteroth in Bedknobs and Broomsticks....you can't take it from one world to another....it just disappears.

Bedknobs is one of my favorite movies!.I saw it in the theater during its original release. 😬

Tuvalu.. I knew we were soul sisters. Schitt's Creek?! Ian and I openly SOBBED at the series finale!

giphy.gif

I've just started watching, and am liking what I see!

Kiwiduck

Another Real Life Update

View attachment 467175

Thats wonderful news!!! I rented my points for a 10 night Polynesian resort from the DVC rental store and they have also provided a travel credit that is valid for two years. That's made me very happy as I assumed that money was just gone (and still might be gone if the great covid recession isn't kind to them or if travel restrictions stick around longer than expected). But props to Davids and the DVC rental store for trying to make things right for their customers.

kk0311

Trip Insurance, yes. We purchased it early this year for the first time. The sense of relief and calm during all this was priceless. We will not have to use it because the cruise ships, hotels and airline companies have taken all of the hit. We will purchase it again next year for our annual plans regardless.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
That’s awesome news about David’s! I gotta say, as a longtime lurker, I love reading your trip reports.
I’m touched that you came out of the shadows for me. :cat:

Thats wonderful news!!! I rented my points for a 10 night Polynesian resort from the DVC rental store and they have also provided a travel credit that is valid for two years. That's made me very happy as I assumed that money was just gone (and still might be gone if the great covid recession isn't kind to them or if travel restrictions stick around longer than expected). But props to Davids and the DVC rental store for trying to make things right for their customers.
So happy to read that you received a voucher for your vacation as well, @Kiwiduck. Like you said, there are no guarantees with either of our vouchers but let’s remain positive we will get to cash them in!

Trip Insurance, yes. We purchased it early this year for the first time. The sense of relief and calm during all this was priceless. We will not have to use it because the cruise ships, hotels and airline companies have taken all of the hit. We will purchase it again next year for our annual plans regardless.
Sounds wise, @kk0311 but....
Read the fine print on trip insurance. My son's friend just got a refusal on his trip. There was an epidemic/pandemic exclusion. Glad you received the voucher. I want to rebook, but when????
....what a shame! When to rebook is harder than ever to figure out now, isn’t it?

I've just started watching, and am liking what I see!
And it only gets better!!
Netflix is releasing the final season (6) in a couple weeks, so there will be no commercials with which to contend (said in my best Moira voice.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom