Trip Report That's OK- We Make Our Own Magic - COMPLETED

I've gone back and forth with myself over the last few months if I'd do a trip report at all since this wasn't the trip I envisioned, but I keep coming back to all of the photos I took and how it would be nice to share some of them. So, I guess I'm doing this. Still, I'm going to put this out there right now...there were a number of things that bothered me during our trip. Nothing was ruined or anything like that, but I am going to share both the good and the bad and it won't be sugar coated or pixie dusted. Still, it's been about 2.5 months since the trip, so some of my negativity has mellowed a bit too, so that'll help.

It's been a couple of years since I posted a trip report on here, so I'm a bit rusty with all of this. I didn't do one for our 2016 trip since it involved another Disney forum group and then we had a longer than average break from vacations because we went through a move. Yup, all that vacation money went into fun things like paint, carpet, etc.

First off...we moved out of our old house in late June, lived in a hotel (family of 4 plus a dog) for about a week and a half, and then moved into our new home in early July. About a month before the closing on our old house, my husband suggested we go to Disney for Christmas. We're not rookies and know this is not the ideal time for crowds and pricing, but it's what worked with everything else. Of course, this also meant I was dealing with 180 dining booking right as all of this moving stuff was hitting peak stress levels. Oh, and since my hubby didn't want me putting any $ into vacation stuff until we were in our new home, I didn't have the +10 luxury when booking dining. Nothing like being up at 4:45am CT for 8 days in a row as you're about a week out from a closing. We are also Houston area and live in part of town that was badly flooded by Hurricane Harvey, so there were a handful of days where I had to sit there wondering if we'd be dealing with more home things for our $ vs. vacation. We were very lucky and did not flood, but a week later, my family went through Hurricane Irma, so that was also super nerve wracking as well. Thankfully, everyone came out of that OK too, and it was pretty much smooth sailing until trip time.

So here are the details...
WHO: Me (Sandy), my husband David, my girls Samantha and Kendall...and for a portion of the trip, my brother, SIL, their kids and my parents.

38317552525_c152d9f71b_b.jpg

Yup, this is all of us just before being seated at 'Ohana.

WHEN: December 15th-24th (16th-23rd at WDW)
WHERE: The Swan...We knew we'd be between peak and holiday pricing for our trip, but after staying at POR in 2016, we decided we only want to stay Epcot area or monorail loop for future trips. I didn't feel like scaling back on our dining plans (a decision I'd regret), so I chose the Swan over a Disney resort. Even with all of the fees, the Swan's overall price per night was on par with the mods, but we got the great location, beds, and bigger rooms for the price.
WHAT: I bought 6 day single park tickets. While I do enjoy the flexibility with hoppers, I feel like we waste so much time hopping to justify the cost. So, we skipped them. We're also not DDP people, so it was OOP for us. My parents and brother are now APs, but decided TiW wasn't worth it to them after having it for a year, so we rely on passholder discounts and Disney Visa discounts for food.
HOW: Driving...it's a cost saver, but I've been asked that we fly for any future trips. I think everyone is kind of over the road trip.

So, if you've ever seen my past reports, you know I like a surprise. It's gotten to the point that the kids asked to be surprised. I knew they wouldn't be completely blindsided because I asked them for a bunch of feedback. So, this became more of a...you know it's coming, but you won't know when. At least planning things around the holidays makes it easier to have trip goodies delivered to your home without tipping them off.

I was excited for this one because I was finally going to get to do the surprise pick up at school. The kids go to different schools now, so it was a bit more challenging, but I was ready. It also helps that we celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah and with Hanukkah starting a few days before our trip, I had a few days where I could work in trip goodies into their gifts without making them suspicious. Honestly, the biggest challenge was packing. I had to take some time off from work, add things to suitcases that are in the closets in increments that wouldn't raise any eyebrows and then pull it all together in the few hours of school on the last day before Christmas break. Easy..right? Oh, and the last Hanukkah gift before the trip was Disney gift cards, and as far as the kids knew, we'd be heading to go shopping after school let out for break so they could spend them. I just never said where we'd be spending them. LOL :hilarious:

Samantha was the first to get picked up, but they were having a holiday party and I had to get the car ready. So, David went into the party while I prepped the vehicle. It looked better in my mind that it came out, but it still worked. I had light up mouse ears on the head rests, light necklaces draped around them, Disney plush, and obviously all of the luggage in the back.

38363200844_0d4c990600_k.jpg

39042458612_aa3b9b9ff7_k.jpg

Unfortunately, I completely screwed up the filming of the surprise reveal for Samantha. That being said, it was great! We totally got her and she was so giddy. I did get Kendall's surprise, but she's not as much fun because she claims she had it all figured out.

I did still have one surprise still up my sleeve that would totally get her- more on that a bit later.

We hit really bad traffic getting out of our town since all of the schools were letting out for the holidays, but once we were out, it was a pretty easy drive. Unfortunately, with the later start, there was no way we were going to make our goal of getting to Tallahassee. We couldn't leave any earlier because Kendall had exams, so we'd have to settle for spending the night in Pensacola. We woke up bright and early the next day and started heading towards Orlando. I absolutely hate the drive through the FL panhandle, but it is what it is. We also hit really bad traffic on I-75 due to an accident right before the FL Turnpike, but we made it to WDW by just after 3pm.

25229151188_b164976967_k.jpg

This one's a bit better...

25229152068_0682a7a543_k.jpg

So, that's it for now. I normally speed through my TRs, but I have so much going on with work, house stuff, kid stuff, etc. that this might actually take me a while...especially once I get into the bulk of the pictures. All of this so far was done on my phone, which is just ok, but I finally got a new camera and lens. So, I took A LOT of pictures. Are they all amazing? No, but they're much better. :)

I also accidentally picked Large sizing for the photos on this first post. I promise to pick a more normal size for subsequent posts.

Coming up...More of Dec 16th- check in drama and excitement, a room with a view, parking, and dinner/fireworks plans.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I've gone back and forth with myself over the last few months if I'd do a trip report at all since this wasn't the trip I envisioned, but I keep coming back to all of the photos I took and how it would be nice to share some of them. So, I guess I'm doing this. Still, I'm going to put this out there right now...there were a number of things that bothered me during our trip. Nothing was ruined or anything like that, but I am going to share both the good and the bad and it won't be sugar coated or pixie dusted. Still, it's been about 2.5 months since the trip, so some of my negativity has mellowed a bit too, so that'll help.

It's been a couple of years since I posted a trip report on here, so I'm a bit rusty with all of this. I didn't do one for our 2016 trip since it involved another Disney forum group and then we had a longer than average break from vacations because we went through a move. Yup, all that vacation money went into fun things like paint, carpet, etc.

First off...we moved out of our old house in late June, lived in a hotel (family of 4 plus a dog) for about a week and a half, and then moved into our new home in early July. About a month before the closing on our old house, my husband suggested we go to Disney for Christmas. We're not rookies and know this is not the ideal time for crowds and pricing, but it's what worked with everything else. Of course, this also meant I was dealing with 180 dining booking right as all of this moving stuff was hitting peak stress levels. Oh, and since my hubby didn't want me putting any $ into vacation stuff until we were in our new home, I didn't have the +10 luxury when booking dining. Nothing like being up at 4:45am CT for 8 days in a row as you're about a week out from a closing. We are also Houston area and live in part of town that was badly flooded by Hurricane Harvey, so there were a handful of days where I had to sit there wondering if we'd be dealing with more home things for our $ vs. vacation. We were very lucky and did not flood, but a week later, my family went through Hurricane Irma, so that was also super nerve wracking as well. Thankfully, everyone came out of that OK too, and it was pretty much smooth sailing until trip time.

WHO: Me (Sandy), my husband David, my girls Samantha and Kendall...and for a portion of the trip, my brother, SIL, their kids and my parents.

WHERE: The Swan...We knew we'd be between peak and holiday pricing for our trip, but after staying at POR in 2016, we decided we only want to stay Epcot area or monorail loop for future trips. I didn't feel like scaling back on our dining plans (a decision I'd regret), so I chose the Swan over a Disney resort. Even with all of the fees, the Swan's overall price per night was on par with the mods, but we got the great location, beds, and bigger rooms for the price.
WHAT: I bought 6 day single park tickets. While I do enjoy the flexibility with hoppers, I feel like we waste so much time hopping to justify the cost. So, we skipped them. We're also not DDP people, so it was OOP for us. My parents and brother are now APs, but decided TiW wasn't worth it to them after having it for a year, so we rely on passholder discounts and Disney Visa discounts for food.
HOW: Driving...it's a cost saver, but I've been asked that we fly for any future trips. I think everyone is kind of over the road trip.

So, if you've ever seen my past reports, you know I like a surprise. It's gotten to the point that the kids asked to be surprised. I knew they wouldn't be completely blindsided because I asked them for a bunch of feedback. So, this became more of a...you know it's coming, but you won't know when. At least planning things around the holidays makes it easier to have trip goodies delivered to your home without tipping them off.

I was excited for this one because I was finally going to get to do the surprise pick up at school. The kids go to different schools now, so it was a bit more challenging, but I was ready. It also helps that we celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah and with Hanukkah starting a few days before our trip, I had a few days where I could work in trip goodies into their gifts without making them suspicious. Honestly, the biggest challenge was packing. I had to take some time off from work, add things to suitcases that are in the closets in increments that wouldn't raise any eyebrows and then pull it all together in the few hours of school on the last day before Christmas break. Easy..right? Oh, and the last Hanukkah gift before the trip was Disney gift cards, and as far as the kids knew, we'd be heading to go shopping after school let out for break so they could spend them. I just never said where we'd be spending them. LOL :hilarious:

Samantha was the first to get picked up, but they were having a holiday party and I had to get the car ready. So, David went into the party while I prepped the vehicle. It looked better in my mind that it came out, but it still worked. I had light up mouse ears on the head rests, light necklaces draped around them, Disney plush, and obviously all of the luggage in the back.

Unfortunately, I completely screwed up the filming of the surprise reveal for Samantha. That being said, it was great! We totally got her and she was so giddy. I did get Kendall's surprise, but she's not as much fun because she claims she had it all figured out.

I did still have one surprise still up my sleeve that would totally get her- more on that a bit later.

We hit really bad traffic getting out of our town since all of the schools were letting out for the holidays, but once we were out, it was a pretty easy drive. Unfortunately, with the later start, there was no way we were going to make our goal of getting to Tallahassee. We couldn't leave any earlier because Kendall had exams, so we'd have to settle for spending the night in Pensacola. We woke up bright and early the next day and started heading towards Orlando. I absolutely hate the drive through the FL panhandle, but it is what it is. We also hit really bad traffic on I-75 due to an accident right before the FL Turnpike, but we made it to WDW by just after 3pm.

So, that's it for now. I normally speed through my TRs, but I have so much going on with work, house stuff, kid stuff, etc. that this might actually take me a while...especially once I get into the bulk of the pictures. All of this so far was done on my phone, which is just ok, but I finally got a new camera and lens. So, I took A LOT of pictures. Are they all amazing? No, but they're much better. :)

I also accidentally picked Large sizing for the photos on this first post. I promise to pick a more normal size for subsequent posts.

Coming up...More of Dec 16th- check in drama and excitement, a room with a view, parking, and dinner/fireworks plans.

Yea you're back with a TR:joyfull:

ELeigh

Love the car decorations for the surprise :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Yea you're back with a TR:joyfull:

It's been a while :)

Love the car decorations for the surprise :)

Thanks! They were a lot of fun!

Yay! Welcome back! I can't believe how big the girls are getting!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

I know! Growing up way to fast!!!

Welcome back! Looking forward to the good and the bad (and the photos)!

Thanks! It was so much fun being there with a new camera.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Going to try and post a little today, but I have to work and need to clean up before company arrives for spring break. Oh how I loooooove cleaning (said me NEVER).

Dec 16th- Continued...

So, I mentioned before that I would get Kendall good with another surprise. Actually, I'd get both girls. With my family living in FL and schedules being crazy, we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like. So, when the girls asked if my parents or brother would be meeting us at Disney, I told them no. I told them my parents had just gotten back from a cruise and would be going to WDW in January for my dad's bday...which actually was true. I then told them it's really tough for my brother and his kids since they had school. So that's what I told them...

What was really happening...my parents and brother's family would be meeting us at WDW. I had this crazy plan that we'd meet my brother and fam in the lobby of the Swan and meet my parents at dinner, but as you'll see...I called an audible.

So, we pulled up to the Swan and my plan started to go into motion.

24234724057_ec07900937_b.jpg

I had been texting my brother and found out they were all at the Swan and in the lobby, so my parents hid when I texted them that we were pulling up. Here's where things get a bit crazy. We pulled up to the Swan, but a valet told us we weren't allowed to unload our bags in that area if we weren't going to valet. He told us we'd have to park and bring in our bags from the lot. Ummmm...OK. So, David and the kids went to park and I went to check in. My brother gave my parents the all clear when he saw it was just me. We chatted as I checked in and decided it was best to just reveal that everyone was there at that point. It would make it easier on my parents and I was tired and frustrated. The girl who checked us in also informed us that the valet was incorrect and we should have just brought in our bags. Too late...David and the kids were almost to the front door.

I went out to help them with a few of the bags and then it was time for the family surprise. The kids did a triple take because they really bought into everything I said about this trip being just us. Obviously, they were thrilled that it wasn't the case. We said our hellos, but David really wanted to go settle into the room. So, we said goodbye and headed up. It's been long enough now that I can't remember exactly which floor we were on, but we had a nice view.

24234723077_1a25c110a9_b.jpg

39095650111_15a1c2c057_b.jpg

In fact, we all had decent views. My parents could see AK from their room and my brother could see Epcot. My brother said they had a MK view on a previous trip. While my brother had an upgraded room (some kind of suite), my parents and I had the cheapest room category. I know people say they wouldn't stay at the Swan or Dolphin because it lacks the Disney touches, but being able to see TOT and BW from my room is enough of a Disney touch for me.

We had a couple of hours to rest and then it was time to head out for dinner. (*side note- we went through the tv channels during this time and whatever rumors floating around about Stacey and the Must Do's being available on the tv lineup in the Swan is false) My brother and fam wouldn't be joining us as Garden Grove is part of his trip routine for night 1, but the rest of us would be heading to the GF for dinner at 1900 PF. Back in August, Kendall asked for a princess meal whenever we go back to WDW and she asked that it be either 1900 dinner or CRT. She had been "too cool for princesses" for our last two trips, so I felt I should honor her request for something princessy. Now if only we could get out of the Swan. The machine controlling the arms to let us out of the lot weren't reading anyone's cards and the Swan employees out in the lot weren't any help. The guy two cars ahead of us finally got the arm up after 5 minutes of trying. The guy directly in front of us had issues too, so I tailed him out as soon as the arm went up.

We got to the GF and found a spot right away even though we were told parking was extremely limited. We were getting close to ADR time, but we haven't been to 1900 since 2015, so I didn't realize they changed the check-in/entry area to the spot over by GFC. After asking a few CMs, we found it and got everything squared away. Now it was time to bring out the real camera and take some pics as we waited.

38390386054_3de4dfb394_b.jpg

I still can't believe those two sculptures in the check in area are chocolate. The detail work is amazing!

38218407515_5b88364b64_b.jpg

24239586487_d83731862b_b.jpg

We didn't have to wait long to be seated and we had a decent window to get food before any characters were set to com our way. We also had a great view of Big Bertha.

25234087498_551190f362_b.jpg

Cinderella was at our table right after we sat down from trip 1 to the buffet. I feel bad because she looks a little crazy in my pictures, but she was a great Cindy. She's probably the best Cinderella we've met since the girls' first visit to CRT back in 2010.

25234083028_01894e2805_b.jpg

38390380274_c6da2bdd8a_b.jpg

25234076938_2e0803f54b_b.jpg

39100203801_10b960e37f_b.jpg

*Side note...I still hate the lighting in 1900!

Next up, Prince Charming...

39100201621_c41ae5ea42_b.jpg

Kendall informed us that she's pretty sure he was wearing a wig. Ha!

And then Lady Tremaine, who was hoping we could give her some help with a cat. LOL

39069500392_75df967ffd_b.jpg

24239554707_d810458dd0_b.jpg

Anastasia came after that and she was awesome! In fact, she was awesome last time we went to 1900 PF dinner too. She asked what the girls wanted for Christmas. Sam said something about Legos...which was interpreted by Anastasia as Leg OHs! And there was some leg involved. Kendall asked for Cinderella Castle and was informed she shouldn't want that because there's a big hole going through the middle. And then she was offended that nobody asked her what she wanted. Turns out...she wants a unicorn.

25234055098_a198ff672c_b.jpg

25234046408_bb2c839e39_b.jpg

We were seated right in the center of the main room, so we were front and center for Cindy and the Prince's dance. And for some reason, I was the only one at the table to witness this.

39100157251_561cc8de0c_b.jpg

Drizella came by after that, but she had nothing to say. She literally showed up, asked if we wanted to take a portrait and then walked off. Sadly, this is how she was last time we went to 1900 PF dinner too. I don't get it. Every other character has some...well...character, but she had nothing. We try to engage them in conversation based on their stories, but it was just glossed over. I tried to brush it off, but for the cost of character meals, it does bother me.

38218351115_94f227e807_b.jpg

I no longer do a lot of buffet food pictures, but I did snap a shot when it was time for the sweet stuff.

24239492757_5175ac37cb_b.jpg

38218345595_cc495a70b5_b.jpg

***********************************************************************************

OK...that's it for now. Thanks for following along!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hey!! Welcome back! Are you the one that makes cakes? :hungry:

Thanks! Yes, I make cakes...although, haven't been making as many of late. I haven't done anything Disney themed since my younger one's Star Wars Winnie the Pooh cake in 2016, but I got roped into a rainbow unicorn with about 2 days notice and a Plants vs Zombies cake in 2017.

36204752330_4dee1092d8_m.jpg

38207130241_77a68433d9_m.jpg

There's also a Disney cake in this trip and I'll be sharing the two we got during our 2016 trip as well (since those never made it to a TR).

So jelly great views!

I was shocked how we lucked out with that!

Zipadeelady

Thanks! Yes, I make cakes...although, haven't been making as many of late. I haven't done anything Disney themed since my younger one's Star Wars Winnie the Pooh cake in 2016, but I got roped into a rainbow unicorn with about 2 days notice and a Plants vs Zombies cake in 2017.

36204752330_4dee1092d8_m.jpg

38207130241_77a68433d9_m.jpg

There's also a Disney cake in this trip and I'll be sharing the two we got during our 2016 trip as well (since those never made it to a TR).

I was shocked how we lucked out with that!
The plants vs zombies one is great! Glad you're back with a report!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
December 16th- continued...

I also took some holiday decor pics. We've been to 1900 in December before, but this is the first time I remember seeing decorations. I went through my December 2010 WDW album just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind (well, at least over this!).

38218342525_6f53f69a47_b.jpg

24239482437_be5de08ec5_b.jpg

24239488477_d393cd29ae_b.jpg

Oh, and while Kendall did well with the allergy menu for most things, they didn't have anything on the buffet that was safe for her for dessert. So, the chef made her a special brownie.

38218340065_8bc9e1c2a9_b.jpg

Oh, and I had to get a pic of the chairs. I'm guessing they changed them out to the hot air balloons since our last visit. It reminds me a lot of the themes on the birthday place mats they gave us in 2011.

39100137591_dd674b0759_b.jpg

Ultimately, 1900 PF wasn't bad. In fact, I found a farro and feta salad that I really enjoyed (remember this, because it's going to come up later in the report). What bothered me is that the things I really liked from our 2013 visit were gone. I know menus change, but it bothers me when higher priced items disappear (and aren't replaced with comparable items) yet meal costs rise. One of my favorite things from our 2013 visit was the sushi. While it wasn't Cali Grill level sushi, it was still tasty...and I know it was one of the more costly offerings. So needless to say, it bugged me that it's gone. Ultimately, I go into buffets and AYCTE with lower expectations, but 1900 is still one of the better dinner buffets we've experienced.

Then it was out to the lobby to check out the tree and hopefully get some pictures.

38218337885_36ea952936_b.jpg

Well, not before being asked to go someplace else so someone could take wedding pics.

39100130521_e3d543c1b5_b.jpg

Not sure if you can tell, but the GF was PACKED! In fact, the line for the monorail was all the way back past the elevator on the 2nd floor of the lobby.

39100128801_e231523028_b.jpg

At least the line to take pics in front of the tree wasn't too bad. I'm still shocked I got Samantha to wear a dress. She is such a tomboy! (ok...there was a huge battle over this, but we promised her that her friends would NEVER see this)

39100107381_3e179863de_b.jpg

Also had to take some tree detail pics while we waited.

27323012869_e5ca5e5a2b_b.jpg

39069408862_37c1e39532_b.jpg

Still not big on the staged Disney pics, but at least it's no extra expense with my parents' AP.

27619599589_89b87193f1_b.jpg

27619599519_156460656f_b.jpg

27619599439_4c3779a614_b.jpg

After our pics, we walked around a little to check out inside...

24239437207_abbef2a434_b.jpg

27323007319_2c3f7df405_b.jpg

*Trying to convince me she NEEDS some Kate Spade. No.

38218299345_27fdff06d1_b.jpg

(love me some lights!)

27323005309_548a4bec66_b.jpg

(even the tiny trees have great details!)

38218297045_7e12f3f739_b.jpg

(nice view from above)

Walked out on the smoking deck, which always has some nice views.

24239427227_3e3bafe83c_b.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Dec 16th Continued...

Not perfectly crisp, but done with a lot less effort than anything with the old camera.

27323003029_8a513f1326_c.jpg

38218295185_2a44201870_c.jpg

27323001749_0e969790bd_c.jpg

Dad's relaxing...

24239424057_dcfc0b731a_c.jpg

Then it was outside at ground level...

24239420287_04537a7f35_c.jpg

When we were there in 2016, it was a few weeks after Lane Graves was killed and things were in their early phases of being changed. So, this was our first time seeing the memorial. It's pretty hard not to be in this area of the GF and not get choked up.

25233929698_4f4cf261ae_c.jpg

We started heading down to the dock because we'd thought about watching HEA from down there, but it was a bit too chilly (hey, we all live in the south) and too far off time-wise for us to stick around, so we just took a few pics and started to head back to the car.

39069383302_e6e7df6809_c.jpg

25233920198_546b20977e_c.jpg

39069379782_4e45c67aab_c.jpg

39069373602_f4c5d413b1_c.jpg

39069377732_5dd36b323a_c.jpg

(had to see the castle...and can you see that line?!?!?!)

Honestly, the line for the boat was stretching well past Narcoosee's, so I'm not sure we would have had a spot on the dock to watch even if we wanted to. We initially had a much later ADR for 1900, but considering we were all road weary, it's probably an omen that we went for an earlier evening.

We got back to the Swan and decided to explore a little before bed.

Yup..always fans of the Swan fountain.

39069370812_ce26e0353f_c.jpg

39069368372_40bf6bb8b8_c.jpg

Can't really see it, but they have this nice little display of trees in their revolving door.

39069361822_b27dee3f05_c.jpg

I had always heard about the chocolate display in the Swan around the holidays, but this was our first time seeing it. It's really impressive and it smells YUMMY! I don't know if the pictures do a good job of illustrating the scale of these things, but they're quite large. Santa is lifesize, so that should give you a good idea.

39069356522_d29d646d29_c.jpg

39069352892_ef34a4f02d_c.jpg

39069350972_307ed7dfb3_c.jpg

39069348442_e82b06fd33_c.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Dec 16th continued...

After that, we walked over to the Dolphin. It's no Osborne Lights, but the lights illuminating the palms change color and dance to the Christmas music that was being played in that area.

39069345582_61d784f8a0_c.jpg

39069342882_096c8f9822_c.jpg

Gotta love the big fountain outside of the Dophin.

38390198554_507ffc863d_c.jpg

39069337062_7946cde0cd_c.jpg

38390195454_712a7896fc_c.jpg

Dolphin also has a pretty tree.

39069331902_eacfeeb15d_c.jpg

If memory serves correctly, the lights shifted and changed on the tree...some kind of RGB programmables, I suspect.

And I am in love with these crystals.

38218246795_94c5698c2c_c.jpg

We hung out for a few minutes at Phins...

27322958569_22fc0cfb38_c.jpg

*pretty sure she's pushing me away

39069317902_267749cb73_c.jpg

But we were all getting pretty tired and decided to head out.

25233886578_c3ef0e586a_c.jpg

We walked over to the bridge because my dad thought we might get a view of Illumations, but we were about 30 min early and none of us wanted to wait. So, it was off to bed.

27322951439_f55ff4cc7a_c.jpg

25233877178_65fa43667e_c.jpg

25233881748_820c0d12d5_c.jpg

I had in my earplugs and the kids were just out, but poor David would be woken up at midnight. One thing I always forget is that being near the parks means you could get woken up by park noises...and the closer you are, the more disruptive it can be. I was reminded of the kids being terrifed by the sound of Illuminations when we stayed at YC back in 2012. Well, we were in a similar boat...but with David. Star Wars Galactic Nights was happening at HS that night and fireworks went off at midnight. Needless to say, he was not a happy camper. It's too bad it wasn't me, because I would have been thrilled to be woken up to see fireworks.

*****************************************************************************************************************
Coming up- December 17th- HS Day

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
December 17th - HS Day

I woke up bright and early on the 17th, but not as early as we'd initially thought we'd need to get up.

I think I've noted in past reports that I am a big fan of EMH and usually plan my trips around them. If you go to the WDWMagic Dec 2017 calendar for HS, you will see that there was morning EMH planned for Dec 17th. Unfortunately, at some point (late Oct/early Nov) this was changed. In fact, this was one of two EMH that were changed for our dates around this time. Yeah, I know...these things are subject to change and I suspect shifted bookings from Irma rescheduling could be part of it, but whenever I've had changes before, it's usually Disney adding hours...i.e. opening earlier and closing later. I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened, but I've never had our EMH shift like this and if you can't tell, it ticks me off. I play along with all of this advance planning that Disney has built in for ADRs and FPs and I really bought into all of these perks that come with an onsite stay (or resorts that get some of these perks). So, when you shift one of my favorite perks to a different park this late in the game, the value of that perk and the value of staying someplace with the so-called perks is diminished. It's not a trip ruining matter or anything like that, but it's just one more source of frustration. The only upside of this...we got a little extra sleep.

So, back to happy stuff...everyone was still asleep, but I decided to take a look out the window before getting everyone going. I saw several hot air balloons on the horizon and a lovely sunrise coming up over BW. I don't know why, but I've always just been fascinated by hot air balloons. I'm too scared to ever ride them, but I love seeing them.

25249709738_11e9ef0453_c.jpg

25249713408_603cc9ca7c_c.jpg

We all got ready and headed off to HS...the only catch, David didn't agree with me on how we should go. I wanted to take the walkway, but he swore he saw another walkway cutting down the other side of the Swan that seemed like a more direct path. So, he asked a Swan employee who totally agreed with him and tried to send us that way. I protested because this so-called shortcut would have had us crossing Buena Vista and walking alongside the auto traffic into the parking lot. After some tense discussion, I won and we took the walkway.

25249707678_fb0bd390e7_c.jpg

25249705338_2bc381b822_c.jpg

38406473584_43a5aa23fa_c.jpg

38406470494_f2835048d1_c.jpg

And we have arrived.

38406464204_f29910cb13_c.jpg

Loving her festive hat!

38406461694_d2fe97a7ab_c.jpg

And not long after, we're on our way in to the rope drop areas (minus the start of a big count of how many times we can stop at the bathroom at more critical times on any given day).

38406459054_736f29920f_c.jpg

38406456494_da4f97f99e_c.jpg

Even saw our favorite duck in the process...

38406454364_a64725b0b2_c.jpg

Still moving in and checking out all of the details and holiday goodness along the way...

25249672628_054e1a81c8_c.jpg

25249669718_ab3b099dbc_c.jpg

25249666738_9164fb7e09_c.jpg

25249663608_8fe63f6de6_c.jpg

25249660858_4501808e9e_c.jpg

25249657648_e10a7ac1a2_c.jpg

Yeah...you know I like to take you along for the walk. LOL

Had there been EMH like originally planned, we would have gone to Jedi Training, but the kids said TSMM was their priority (my tier 1 FP was for RnRC), so that was our rope drop goal. So, I positioned myself in a spot that I thought would be good, but David didn't agree, so he went to a different area and gave me an earful about not sure why I'd want to wait in a longer line. So, the rope drops and we go in from our respective spots. We got there ahead of him, but he was able to join in with us and nothing else was spoken about how my way was faster.

25249655498_fd550f82b3_c.jpg

25249651468_0cf25a6356_c.jpg

25249648938_3bb68d944f_c.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Dec 17th continued...

and we're still making our way into TSMM...

25249645808_681aa1f3ce_c.jpg

25249642938_eb67118cd7_c.jpg

We caught a glimpse of Buzz and Woody doing m&gs as the line started to move.

39115889071_3c5dfab33e_c.jpg

And we're in and moving through the line.

25249640688_78927329d6_c.jpg

25249638788_85ed8900d8_c.jpg

25249636758_1cfe9a5c9d_c.jpg

27338832649_c142caece8_c.jpg

27338829919_f24ae5cd38_c.jpg

25249626088_caf49b977f_c.jpg

What's really funny...we haven't actually ridden this since 2010. That's not to say we haven't tried, but it always breaks down when we're in line. So, we were happy to get to ride today. I was also pretty happy with my score even though David beat me.

25249610788_7fefb00e2e_c.jpg

39116500811_038444fa3d_c.jpg

Next up was Launch Bay. We breezed through here back in 2016, so we wanted to see all of the details.

39116498231_de49e434ed_c.jpg

39116496171_92d5f10068_c.jpg

39116493491_6097f06d92_c.jpg

39116491951_5f2d00c469_c.jpg

39116490151_96f5e32c14_c.jpg

39116488251_69e6089fde_c.jpg

25249580268_f2666bab15_c.jpg

25249577898_18a9a8958f_c.jpg

38234609345_a00ce3b605_c.jpg

*I know...I went a bit camera happy. It's a blend of Star Wars geek and just taking pics to take pics (and I'm not done...LOL).

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Dec 17th cont. ...

And we're still exploring the displays in Launch Bay...

38234605695_268a001b1a_c.jpg

38234601645_cd234ae578_c.jpg

We met BB8 first.

38234597315_ba0972fafd_c.jpg

38406370784_3ec2250e55_c.jpg

I guess I hadn't really looked at anyone else's pics with him, but I didn't expect him to be so small. I think I expected him more around R2D2 size. Still, he was funny because he freaked out about Samantha's Darth Vader and Storm Trooper shirt. We decided to just play her off as the rebel spy.

We took pics with Chewbacca and Kylo Ren next. I didn't hand off my camera, but if you really want to see pics of us with them...here are some 2016 trip pics that have never been posted on WDW Magic. LOL...I think that's why I didn't bother...it was all playing out the same way, so I didn't feel any pressing urge to capture this a second time around. Which is funny since I was almost in tears (happy ones) meeting Chewbacca the first time.

28566698076_8d757d2805_c.jpg

28599297085_7d966e91f7_c.jpg

28566654756_ca82ee6fac_c.jpg

OK...back to December...where it's about 10 degrees cooler. Yeah...I think it got up to 82 or 84 on our HS day. Not hot, but definitely a warmer day.

We did at least see some Storm Troopers marching through while we were in there.

38406365274_b36caca627_c.jpg

A few more random pics during exploration...

38406363514_cba0f345cd_c.jpg

39085222722_cc946095ed_c.jpg

38406366934_437659d680_c.jpg

I will say this...as cool as all of this is, I wasn't happy about them removing the Jawas. We were running short on time in 2016 and didn't get a chance to trade with them. We saw it in passing and it was definitely a more interesting experience than the M&Gs.

Next up was some Star Wars shopping.

I was really in love with the Mary Blair style piece, but just didn't love it enough to buy it.

39085218822_d3ef47f8ea_c.jpg

More shopping...

39085212672_748333dfc9_c.jpg

39085207632_45bb92bf57_c.jpg

24255592117_f39b2053bb_c.jpg

24255589357_a0df64b4e7_c.jpg

24255583677_0d9b53d144_c.jpg

We went out and David decided to run off to grab something to drink, so we sat around and waited. Most of it was just checking out the sites and the characters coming and going from breaks.

24255586947_1b9b49c34c_c.jpg

38234530435_9e9b705396_c.jpg

(put my lens hood on and wasn't paying attention to the hood getting in the shot)

38234526535_3eabd1785f_c.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom