Trip Report That time I bought a WDW AP even though I live 8091 miles from the parks (completed)!

Hi all, I’m a couple of weeks back from a trip where I spent a few days in Disneyland and Las Vegas followed by two weeks in WDW. I took good trip notes for the first few days but by the time I arrived at WDW I had stopped and so will have to rely on photos to remind me of what I did when, allowing for some discrepancies as my phone and camera seem to exist in different time zones.

Who – Renee from Auckland, New Zealand which Dr Google tells me is 8091 miles away from Orlando.

When – 21st of November until 11th of December.

Where – Park Vue Inn at Disneyland, The Venetian in Las Vegas and Pop Century, French Quarter and the Animal Kingdom Lodge at WDW.

Why – Because I wanted to, what other reason is needed!!

I was more stressed about this holiday than I normally am. I had surgery in July with 6 weeks off work, closely followed by an awful stomach bug and then a cold which hung around for two months and which I only recovered from a week before I left. All this meant that I hadn’t slept well in months, was very stressed and had been especially inactive so was worried about how I would cope with three weeks of solid walking. I was also worried I would get another cold which I often do when I travel. So, will this trip report consist of photos of me sitting in my hotel room nursing sore feet and coughing up phlegm or photos of fun theme park activities? You will have to come along for the ride to find out!!

Here is a photo of the Annual Pass from the title. I realise in this Instagram age that I should have taken a photo of this in front of some iconic structure like Cinderella Castle or Spaceship Earth and not in front of the curtains in the Pop Century value resort but I am still learning!
fullsizeoutput_175d.jpeg

Travel
I had the day of my flight off work which was gave me a chance to sleep in and pack at a relaxed pace. I wanted to leave plenty of room for the new Starbucks mugs from each of the parks as well as some Christmas ornaments but I also didn’t want to do any washing while I was away. I hoped I had achieved the perfect balance of packing everything I own while leaving lots of room for souvenirs.

I spent as much of the day as I could playing with my lovely little dog Sookie who had known something was up ever since I dragged the suitcases out. This is a picture of my favourite dog on my favourite friend’s lap!
_DSC7354.JPG

As usual I would miss her a lot and was reminded of her every time I saw a “service dog” in the park.

The first Uber I ordered to take me to the airport arrived after only a couple of minutes but parked himself in the middle of the road outside my house and yelled out that he can’t take me to the airport as he’s been banned from there. Umm, maybe don’t accept my ride then and also don’t park in the middle of the street to yell at me so that cars have to swerve around you, honking their horns and giving me the evil eye out their car window as though it was my fault. The next driver got me to the airport OK but was kind of creepy and persistently asked questions like will your husband miss you, where is your husband, are you married, so your boyfriend will miss you then wont he, who are you travelling with etc etc. Thankfully the drive is not that long but thanks for the weird trip to the airport Uber drivers of Auckland.

I relaxed before the flight with some chips and rose, the start of three solid weeks of poor dietary choices!
IMG_6420.JPG

My father is retired airline staff and I was flying on his staff benefits. I had applied and paid for an upgrade to business class but had to wait until I got to the gate to see if I was upgraded or not. I had all my legs and fingers crossed as there is nothing better than a lie-flat seat on a long-haul overnight flight. Sadly, business class was full but I did get a seat in an almost empty premium economy cabin. This is very comfortable relative to economy and which also meant I would get back most of the money I had paid. My row was empty but because the armrests were fixed I couldn’t utilise the space and lie down.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_30f5.jpg

My appetiser and dessert. The main course was delivered a little while later. (In NZ we call what you call appetizers entrees and what you call entrees are called mains and what you call desserts we call desserts!)
IMG_6424.JPG

It was a pretty good flight, lots of leg-room, comfortable seat, great service and food but as per usual I only got at most an hour or two of sleep.

Once at LAX I got through security and picked up my bags quickly and with no issues. I caught the Disneyland Express and headed to the Park Vue Inn. I really hoped they would have an early room for me as I wanted to shower and lay down for a while but they didn’t so I had to freshen up and change in the lobby bathroom and then headed to Disneyland.

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
The first thing I see in the park is Mickey Mouse being adorable in his adorable Christmas sweater. I think he had finished his official meet and greet and was heading off for a break.
Christmas Mickey by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Someone found the vignetting slider in the photo editor!
Christmas Mickey by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

The Christmas tree is majestic.
Main Street tree by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

There was a concert occurring outside the firehouse.
firehouse band by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Who should turn up but Christmas Goofy who started dancing up a storm. I’d only been here a short time but Disneyland was firing on all cylinders already.
Christmas Goofy by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

dancing goofy by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I was hungry so headed to Plaza Inn to have some late lunch. I had a child’s fried chicken meal and a yule log. My mission to photograph all my meals didn’t even last past my first meal as I forgot to take a shot of the chicken but the Yule log was pretty and very tasty as well.
Plaza Inn Yule Log by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I wandered around Adventureland and New Orleans Square trying to find something to ride which didn’t have a large wait but the park was super busy. I took a photo of the Mansion but the stand-by wait was huge and no fastpasses were available until late at night.
haunted mansion by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I decided to wait for the train even though the wait was listed as over half an hour. The new part of the circuit around the Rivers of America is much improved with much more “eye candy” and well worth the long shut down and shortening of the river. I especially liked the refreshed Dinosaur diorama, but it was too dark to take pictures of.
IMG_0078 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

train by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

train chief by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

It was wonderful to see the Columbia back on the river.
Columbia from train by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Columbia by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I took two full circuits on the train and part of another getting off at Main Street and heading out of the park as I was on the verge of falling asleep. I checked out the World of Disney on my way out of the park and then headed back to my room. I forced myself to stay awake and watch TV with the lights on until around 8pm trying to not mess up my sleep cycle too much, but then fell asleep quickly and didn’t wake until 6.30 in the morning.

To recap – I paid for a day of admission to eat some chicken and ride the train twice before falling to sleep. I don’t regret it at all, would do again!

Doc Disney

The next driver got me to the airport OK but was kind of creepy and persistently asked questions like will your husband miss you, where is your husband, are you married, so your boyfriend will miss you then wont he, who are you travelling with etc etc. Thankfully the drive is not that long but thanks for the weird trip to the airport Uber drivers of Auckland.

OMG that sounds terrible! One star rating for me! Can’t wait to read more

amjt660

Premium Member
Hi Renee!
So glad that you did this extended trip and that you are going to share with us!
Please include all aspects (not just the Disney stuff!)

My appetiser and dessert. The main course was delivered a little while later. (In NZ we call what you call appetizers entrees and what you call entrees are called mains and what you call desserts we call desserts!)
Thank you for the educating us on this point

Sadly, business class was full but I did get a seat in an almost empty premium economy cabin.
Prem economy is a nice consolation prize for Biz being full.
At least you had elbow room and those chair have a decent recline right?

Looking forward to your re telling of the adventure and hoping that there is at least one pic of you and your fav (Donald) along the way

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Following along.

Thank you

OMG that sounds terrible! One star rating for me! Can’t wait to read more

I gave him a 5 start rating at the time as I got to my destination safely and quickly, but afterwards I wish I hadn't. I caught a normal taxi home from the airport but it cost me over $50 compared to the $20 uber fare so my I'm definitely a fan of Uber in general.

Disneyland is a home of sorts for us. Following along.

I feel at home at Disneyland as well, it will always be my favourite no matter how much I have come to love WDW.

Hi Renee!
So glad that you did this extended trip and that you are going to share with us!
Please include all aspects (not just the Disney stuff!)

Thank you for the educating us on this point

Prem economy is a nice consolation prize for Biz being full.
At least you had elbow room and those chair have a decent recline right?

Looking forward to your re telling of the adventure and hoping that there is at least one pic of you and your fav (Donald) along the way

Max

Actually no photos with Donald this time, his lines were always too long. I got photos with a couple of country bears and baby groot.
Do canadians follow American style naming of meals?
Premium economy seat had great recline and nice foot rest. I had no one behind me either so no stress about being in someones space

amjt660

Premium Member
Actually no photos with Donald this time, his lines were always too long. I got photos with a couple of country bears and baby groot.
Do canadians follow American style naming of meals?
Premium economy seat had great recline and nice foot rest. I had no one behind me either so no stress about being in someones space
Ok
I will want to see the pics with baby groot for sure!
We go with starter or appetizer followed by entree or main and then of course dessert

Now when on vacation you are always supposed to start with dessert!!!

Glad you had @Tuvalu Shirley status on the flight!

Merry Christmas
Getting a lot of snow today
309422A8-E6B4-4C5E-9558-5B10D9E30B41.png

The extra person in the pic is J
He is S’s boyfriend from Nova Scotia ( eastern Canada)

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Day 2
I started the day with the Park Vue Inn’s free breakfast. The eggs were solid and tasteless and the bacon tasted off so I dumped breakfast, grabbed some coffee and headed across the road to the park.

I was expecting crazy lines at security and the park entrance with it being the day before Thanksgiving but neither was that bad. They let us into the park a bit early and I decided that I would head to Adventureland and New Orleans Square first. I sorted out my Max Pass for the day as we waited.

Adventureland was looking beautiful as normal, although my favourite little store has now been turned into stroller parking.
IMG_0111 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I have never noticed this sign advertising banjo lessons before.

IMG_0117 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I wanted to ride Indiana Jones first but it was down so I headed to Pirates. This was a walk on and only had a very small wait by the time I got off so I rode again. After this I enjoyed walking around New Orleans square while it was temporarily free of hordes of people.

nos by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21HJPhA]nos by Dis Sookie, on Flickr[/URL]

After this I rode Indiana Jones which had a less than 10 minute stand-by wait.

Indiana line by Dis Sookie, on Flickr
Indiana line by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

IMG_0110
by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Jungle (sadly not Jingle) cruise was next. This was my skipper. If you find yourself about to hop into this guys boat think yourself lucky as he was awesome.

IMG_0123
by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

After this I rode Haunted Mansion Holiday (not half as good as OG haunted mansion) and then Small World Holiday which is a great overlay.

IMG_0135
by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

IMG_0148
by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

After this I had a date with Chris Pratt and an angry racoon so I headed towards DCA. On my way out I saw a lovely Disneyland horse, the horse drawn vehicles are one of the best things about Disneyland’s Main Street.

IMG_0158 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

amjt660

Premium Member
Renee
Quick cultural question for you
In Canada we call Dec 26 Boxing Day and it is recognized as a national holiday.
My friends to the south do not normally use this term
Since it is a British tradition ( most believe it is a day of rest after Christmas when boxes (gifts) were given to the staff)
Is a holiday for you in New Zealand??

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Renee
Quick cultural question for you
In Canada we call Dec 26 Boxing Day and it is recognized as a national holiday.
My friends to the south do not normally use this term
Since it is a British tradition ( most believe it is a day of rest after Christmas when boxes (gifts) were given to the staff)
Is a holiday for you in New Zealand??

Max
Yes, it is a holiday and one of the best days of the year, a time to eat left overs, take advantage of Boxing Day sales, go to the beach (it is summer here) or the races, watch the Cricket and chill out after the stress of Christmas. We also get January the 1st and 2nd as holidays so almost everyone except essential services and retail people are off work between Christmas and New Years and as it is summer people often take off until mid January or even later. NZ is a very sleepy place in January!

amjt660

Premium Member
Yes, it is a holiday and one of the best days of the year, a time to eat left overs, take advantage of Boxing Day sales, go to the beach (it is summer here) or the races, watch the Cricket and chill out after the stress of Christmas. We also get January the 1st and 2nd as holidays so almost everyone except essential services and retail people are off work between Christmas and New Years and as it is summer people often take off until mid January or even later. NZ is a very sleepy place in January!
Nice sales pitch
You don't happen to work for New Zealand Tourism do you??
;)

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
I had a lot of trepidation about seeing the Tower of Terror Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout in person for the first time. I seemed to be one of the few people who didn’t find it ugly (or at least no uglier than the TOT building was). It has always looked out of place and oddly shaped to me, very unlike the beautiful Hollywood Studios version and I am a huge fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy. I would have preferred a wonderful Guardians dark ride and for the TOT to have stayed but then again I would prefer if everything was a dark ride! I didn’t take any photos apart from this one as it was my first time. From some angles it looks really good!

IMG_6437 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Even though I had a fastpass I waited around 30 minutes to ride as it had recently come up from some downtime. A lot of the queue was in direct sunlight and it was really hot! It was in the mid 90’s for both of the days I was there and promptly dropped down to more manageable temperatures the day I left.

The ride was fabulous: fun and exciting, I loved it. The Rocket Racoon animatronic in the pre-show was excellent. A little boy in the room cracked up laughing and yelled at Rocket “what are you doing up there, sillyhead” which was very cute. His parents did a good job of keeping him quiet after this which was good as the line between cuteness and annoyingness can be very thin. The drops (and whatever you call the opposite of drops, the ups??), seemed bigger, more random and more frequent than the TOT and it was awesome. Spoiler – the TOT seemed very tame after this. I got off the ride feeling very lightheaded but it was worth it and I had already felt light headed going in the ride as I hadn’t had anything to drink except for coffee and it was really hot.

I headed towards Radiator Springs and got something to drink at Flos, rehydrating myself in my favourite place watching the cars race by on RSR. I utilised the single riders line to ride RSR’s after this. It was really short even though the wait for the ride was huge.

IMG_0161 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

After this I headed to see my favourite piece of Disney entertainment the Viva Navidad parade. I was so hot waiting to see this parade, even though I had a hat on I was holding a park map over my face to stop from getting burnt. I was not prepared at all for how hot it was, I was dressed all in black and had no sunscreen on. If you have read any of my previous reports you would have seen around 500,000 previous photos of this parade which I am obsessed with. I didn’t take too many photos this time as I was here such a short time and wouldn’t be able to see it as often as I would like to.

Viva Navidad by Dis Sookie, on Flickr
Viva Navidad by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I had some time to kill before my lunch reservation at Carnation Café so I thought I would have a stroll through the Grizzly Peak area which has lovely trees and shade. Unfortunately I was not the only person seeking shade and it seemed as though 90% of the population of DCA were on the pathways of Grizzly Peak. I did manage to catch a Country Bear just as he was starting his meet and greet. I don't know what this bears name is even though I love the Country Bears, does anyone know? I am very overheated in this photo (have I mentioned that it was hot??). Also, he gave me a fish as a gift but made me give it back, sad!

IMG_0218 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Busy or not this is a beautiful area of the park. I know Disney doesn't bring back old attractions but I would love it if they would build a new Country Bears theatre in this area of the park.
IMG_0224 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I love this bear, one of my favourite Christmas touches.
IMG_0221 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr
IMG_0223 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I liked that he had a new hat this year, this was his hat last year.
_DSC6446-2 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

When I checked in for my reservation I was torn between wanting to sit outside which has a wonderful Main Street view or inside in the cool. I just left it up to fate and ended up being seated outside which was hot but shady. This was my lovely view.
IMG_0225 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

This was my very delicious sandwich.
IMG_0228 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

After lunch I went back to my room to rest and cool off. I found a TV station which was playing the Titanic movie on a loop which is one of my favourites so I was happy about that! I rested until around 7pm and then headed back to DCA.

amjt660

Premium Member
The ride was fabulous: fun and exciting, I loved it. The Rocket Racoon animatronic in the pre-show was excellent.
I am glad you liked the GOG ride
Each song has a combination of scenes and drop/lift sequence.
Born to be Wild was my favourite with the Jackson 5 ABC song a close second.
Rocket is awesome - love it when he grabs the Walkman

I cannot help you with the name of the Bear
Interesting to find him at DCA - a guess they are sort of homeless at DLR

And I love the Baby Groot shirt!!

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
DCA at night was much busier than during the day but it was lovely and cool. I rode RSR using a fastpass as I was worried the single rider line would be long in the evening and it was, so I was happy I didn’t waste a fastpass.
IMG_6482.JPG

I checked out the night time lights of Cars Land.

IMG_0239 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

IMG_0241 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I saw one of the largest dogs I have ever seen, this is him but it doesn’t fully capture just how huge he seemed in person. I wonder what type of doggo he is?

IMG_0237 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I really liked these Cars Christmas themed movie posters.

IMG_0244 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

I rode the Monsters Inc dark ride and Ariel and got a drink from one of the Holiday booths, a frose. It is pictured below with my dinner. I was nice with a good kick, but very small for the price.

IMG_0248 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

After dinner I headed back to my room as I was still tired from travelling and wanted to make sure I was up for the 7am park opening the next day.

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
23rd of November (Thanksgiving)

Today there was extra magical morning hour at Disneyland so I arrived around 6.30am for a 7am open. I started off in Fantasyland and hit Mr Toad and then the Alice ride.

Mr Toad by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

After this I rode Small World in my very own boat! Some Shirley status Disneyland style!

IMG_0254 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr
Small World Holiday by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

If you look carefully you can see a little elvis bobble head on the surfboard in front of stitch. Very cute.
IMG_0258 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Next I rode Snow White and then decided to ride the Casey Junior Circus Train for the first time in forever as I prefer the canal boats. All was going well until a lady asked if she could sit next to me as she didn’t fit in the row with her husband and son. That was no problem with me but then she turned around and started talking to her family and didn’t stop at all for the entire ride: “ at 9am we’ll do x, at 9.30 we’ll do y, but if this happens we’ll do z etc, etc, etc. I don’t understand why she couldn’t just be quiet and enjoy the ride she was on, or at the very least let me enjoy it! As the train started to chug its way up the big hill it stopped and stayed stopped for 15 minutes. Chatty Cathy asked me if this normally happens and I said no, she asked her husband and he said no then she asked the circus cage people and they said no.

IMG_0259 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Here are the CMs radioing for help.

IMG_0261 by Dis Sookie, on Flickr

Despite my chatty seatmate I was really hoping it would be unfixable and we would get walked off but they got us going again. When we got off they tried to give us fastpasses and my friend held up the line with constant questions about how the ride anything at any time fastpass was going to affect their DAS pass and wouldn’t accept any reassurance that it wouldn’t inconvenience them. I finally got my pass and immediately used it on Peter Pan before heading out of Fantasyland and heading to Pirates and then the Haunted Mansion. The breakdown was well worth it to get a fastpass to Peter Pan.

amjt660

Premium Member
Chatty Cathy asked me if this normally happens and I said no, she asked her husband and he said no then she asked the circus cage people and they said no.

Gotta love "people" who ask a question, do not get the answer they want , then continue to ask others in hope of getting the answer they want.

Usually more prevalent in much younger ages but sometimes development can be stunted.;)

Silver lining - FP for Peter Pan!!!!

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Gotta love "people" who ask a question, do not get the answer they want , then continue to ask others in hope of getting the answer they want.

Usually more prevalent in much younger ages but sometimes development can be stunted.;)

Silver lining - FP for Peter Pan!!!!

Max
I thought I wouldn't get to ride Peter Pan as I don't think the stand-by waits are worth it, but its well worth using the fastpass on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom