That New Poppins Song You’ll Hear in Every Park Show From Now On

TROR

Honestly forgot about Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins which is probably why I thought Topsy in Mary Poppins Returns felt so out of place. Either way, the movie offered nothing too new. Best part was seeing that Richard Sherman was the music consultant on the film.

GiveMeTheMusic

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

I think it’s been a long time since most people have seen the first movie. It’s very episodic and scenes like Ed’s stop the story cold and could easily be excised. But why would you do that? Meryl’s scene is exactly the same. Sure you could cut it for time, but why would you? It’s delightful.

Also Ed Wynn murdered my mother! Delete his scene forever!!!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it’s been a long time since most people have seen the first movie. It’s very episodic and scenes like Ed’s stop the story cold and could easily be excised. But why would you do that? Meryl’s scene is exactly the same. Sure you could cut it for time, but why would you? It’s delightful.

Also Ed Wynn murdered my mother! Delete his scene forever!!!

I agree, both scenes are unnecessary and could be cut. But both are fun and provide sort of a palette cleanser to the rest of the story.

SuddenStorm

Honestly forgot about Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins which is probably why I thought Topsy in Mary Poppins Returns felt so out of place. Either way, the movie offered nothing too new. Best part was seeing that Richard Sherman was the music consultant on the film.

To be fair, Uncle Albert in the original is a far more entertaining scene.

SuddenStorm

The movie is a solid family film, but won't become a classic and with it's average reviews and mediocre box office performance, I doubt it'll get much park presence.

The music was a bit of a let down, the problem with making the film a 1 for 1 remake of the original is each new song has to be compared to it's '64 counterpart- and following up the Sherman Brothers is a near impossible feat.

Should have let Lin Manuel do the soundtrack.

Magic Feather

Should have let Lin Manuel do the soundtrack.
Eh... With his track record, Hamilton appears to be more the exception than the rule. Moana was very hit or miss for me, and even though I am probably the only one who thinks it, I found Maui’s “Your Welcome” song to sound like a wannabe Hamilton song that was just ok. Ditto for “Shiny” as a wannabe Bowie song, but I digress...

Regardless, given the hand they were dealt, I would say that the soundtrack was done exceptionally well. As for the film itself, it felt like a warm return to the movies of the past, although there were a few too many jump cuts for my taste. Also, re: Meryl... it was fun. A few too many extreme close-ups on Meryl Streep’s face upside-down head were used, but overall it was fine. It only held the film back a little.

SuddenStorm

Eh... With his track record, Hamilton appears to be more the exception than the rule. Moana was very hit or miss for me, and even though I am probably the only one who thinks it, I found Maui’s “Your Welcome” song to sound like a wannabe Hamilton song that was just ok. Ditto for “Shiny” as a wannabe Bowie song, but I digress...

Regardless, given the hand they were dealt, I would say that the soundtrack was done exceptionally well. As for the film itself, it felt like a warm return to the movies of the past, although there were a few too many jump cuts for my taste. Also, re: Meryl... it was fun. A few too many extreme close-ups on Meryl Streep’s face upside-down head were used, but overall it was fine. It only held the film back a little.

I guess I just don't think Manuel could have done worse, and would likely have done better.

My problem is, right now I can only name 2 songs from the film- Book Cover and Trip Fantastic. And honestly, even those I'm having trouble remembering how those ones go.

Songs like Jolly Holiday, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Feed the Birds, chim chim cheree, and Step in Time stick with you. They're extroadinarily catchy and easy to remember.

There were a few songs in the film that felt like a drag to get through, but I can't even begin to tell you how they go or what they were called.

It's a perfectly average children's film, but it will be forgotten in a year.

SuddenStorm

That's not how movies or credits work.

What specifically is a " music consultant"? They could have just played him the songs, gotten his "approval", and thrown him in there.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/1020287-behind-the-music-of-mary-poppins-returns

This article says they corresponded with Sherman a bit, and got a letter from him after he saw the film and got to interview him for 90 minutes. Doesn't seem like he was an active part of the music writing process, and there's no mention of them getting feedback from him during the writing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As much as I like MPR, I do have to say that Topsy's segment was disjointed without any pay-off. The whole point of her presence was to see things from a different perspective, and there was no call-back to that. Uncle Albert's side-plot paid off with Mr. Banks retelling one of his jokes to Mr. Dawes Sr., which caused him to die happy, which led to Mr. Banks being reinstated as a junior partner.

If MPR were to have the same beats, then someone should have looked at a situation from a new perspective (somehow wind up hanging upside down) and realizing the solution to a dilemma.

GiveMeTheMusic

As much as I like MPR, I do have to say that Topsy's segment was disjointed without any pay-off. The whole point of her presence was to see things from a different perspective, and there was no call-back to that. Uncle Albert's side-plot paid off with Mr. Banks retelling one of his jokes to Mr. Dawes Sr., which caused him to die happy, which led to Mr. Banks being reinstated as a junior partner.

If MPR were to have the same beats, then someone should have looked at a situation from a new perspective (somehow wind up hanging upside down) and realizing the solution to a dilemma.

It ties into the immediately following bank scene. The children decide to go talk to Mr. Wilkins and John says something about how a different point of view might help. He then repeats Mary’s line, today or never that’s my motto, before they slink off.

DanielBB8

That's not how movies or credits work.
Do you think Executive Producer credits are earned? Many credits are honorary including story credits to avoid a lawsuit, which I’m sure this credit for music consultant could imply. “Hey, this measure sure sounds close to Jolly Holiday”. Here’s a credit for inspiring the score.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
"The Place Where Lost Things Go" sounds like a great title for a horror movie.

wherethelostthingsgo_cover.jpg

Isn't that Davy Jones locker though?

TP2000

This Mary Poppins movie came up at a huge Christmas family dinner with three generations at the table (yes, I was the oldest!). The consensus;

• Lin Manuel has talent, but is way over-rated and over-hyped for what he is. The college kids at the table claim he's a victim of Virtue Signaling by his vocal fans/supporters (which had to be explained to me).
  • The new Mary Poppins movie disappointed a bit. It was good by our lowered 2018 standards, but no where near the special spark the original had.
  • The box office was also disappointing. It's only just now broken the $100 Million mark, and got blown out of the water by Aquaman (pardon the pun).
  • I mentioned the historical inaccuracy of gas lamps needing manual lighting in 1935, especially in upper-middle class neighborhoods like Cherry Tree Lane. Stanford nephew agreed, did some Googling, and said it was patently ridiculous when electric lamps replaced gas lamps in even downscale residential neighborhoods by the 1920's. The labor costs of lamplighters were huge, even back then, and quickened their demise when urban electricity went widespread in the 1910's.
  • The music tried too hard, as if they knew they had to write something catchy instead of write something to help tell the story.
  • It's a one-and-done, no need to see it again in theaters or watch it on Netflix. A bit of a let down after Disney's marketing hype.
  • Julie Andrews was very wise to skip doing a wink-wink cameo. Because of that, she now remains forever as the real Mary Poppins.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

This Mary Poppins movie came up at a huge Christmas family dinner with three generations at the table (yes, I was the oldest!). The consensus;

• Lin Manuel has talent, but is way over-rated and over-hyped for what he is. The college kids at the table claim he's a victim of Virtue Signaling by his vocal fans/supporters (which had to be explained to me).
  • The new Mary Poppins movie disappointed a bit. It was good by our lowered 2018 standards, but no where near the special spark the original had.
  • The box office was also disappointing. It's only just now broken the $100 Million mark, and got blown out of the water by Aquaman (pardon the pun).
  • I mentioned the historical inaccuracy of gas lamps needing manual lighting in 1935, especially in upper-middle class neighborhoods like Cherry Tree Lane. Stanford nephew agreed, did some Googling, and said it was patently ridiculous when electric lamps replaced gas lamps in even downscale residential neighborhoods by the 1920's. The labor costs of lamplighters were huge, even back then, and quickened their demise when urban electricity went widespread in the 1910's.
  • The music tried too hard, as if they knew they had to write something catchy instead of write something to help tell the story.
  • It's a one-and-done, no need to see it again in theaters or watch it on Netflix. A bit of a let down after Disney's marketing hype.
  • Julie Andrews was very wise to skip doing a wink-wink cameo. Because of that, she now remains forever as the real Mary Poppins.

Beautifully said.

DanielBB8

My family and I completely enjoyed Mary Poppins Returns. Only I watched the original 40 years ago and again a week ago. Here’s my summary.

Lin was fine, but his singing was weak, accent was unconvincing, and his rapping was muddled and incomprehensible. I just couldn’t understand him in that porcelain bowl sequence.

I felt it worked as a sequel. For those who didn’t see the original, it was fine. However, the music isn’t memorable. The musical numbers seem integral to the plot and advanced the story successfully. Emily Blunt really shined. She didn’t hit the high notes like Julie Andrews. Her short hairstyle in the porcelain bowl sequence was odd. Seems unnecessarily daring.

The gas lamp sequence was fine, but it was men doing pole dancing. The BMX bikes obviously doesn’t match the era either.

Julie Andrews should have done the Topsy role. I didn’t care much for Meryl Streep.

Lately, the box office improved and it’s currently number 2 to Aquaman. I do think this movie has legs and it’s a good old fashioned family movie.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom