That New Poppins Song You’ll Hear in Every Park Show From Now On

dweezil78

So I really love the new soundtrack. Tonally it’s spot on. My fear with this movie is that it’ll have Force Awakens syndrome. In that it’s essentially a remake disguised as a sequel, hitting all the same notes as the original just slightly tweaked.

I got that feeling when listening to the soundtrack this morning. Every song was catchy, but ultimately a slightly modified version of all the original songs. Different, but the same. The story and sequences seems to have the same thing going on based on the music.

Like Force Awakens I bet this will be a blast in the theater, but may lose relevancy shortly after. Hope not though!!!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So I really love the new soundtrack. Tonally it’s spot on. My fear with this movie is that it’ll have Force Awakens syndrome. In that it’s essentially a remake disguised as a sequel, hitting all the same notes as the original just slightly tweaked.

I got that feeling when listening to the soundtrack this morning. Every song was catchy, but ultimately a slightly modified version of all the original songs. Different, but the same. The story and sequences seems to have the same thing going on based on the music.

Like Force Awakens I bet this will be a blast in the theater, but may lose relevancy shortly after. Hope not though!!!

Well since several of the songs basically are nods to what the Sherman Brothers wrote its no surprise they feel the same as the original.

TP2000

Given that there are still something like 1500 gas streetlamps in London, I would suspect (but don't know for sure) they continued to use them late into the 30s and early 40s. Especially during the Blitz with the Blackout and after when electricity wasn't readily available across most of London until like 1945.

According to the London Daily Mail...

In 2018 there are five (5) lamplighters left in London, focused on the remaining gas lamps maintained around historical buildings and tourist attractions.

BritishGas_LampLighter.jpg

Back in 1939 there were 418 lamplighters left, just before the German Air Force started bombing London mercilessly for a few years and tried to kill as many civilians as possible, rendering the downscale neighborhoods in East and South London where gas lamps still existed mostly uninhabitable.

Germany puts the London Lamplighter out of business for good, 1940-1942
p01gz6x6.jpg

But before the Germans got antsy (again), in the 1930's the profession of lamplighting aging gas lamps on city streets was nearly extinct, and focused in working class neighborhoods. In middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods the gas lamp had been replaced by superior electric lamps after World War I and through the 1920's.

It's apparent the concept of a small army of lamplighters still walking the fashionable streets of upper-middle class neighborhoods like Cherry Tree Lane in the 1930's each evening at dusk is historically inaccurate. But it is a catchy little song. :cool:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
According to the London Daily Mail...

In 2018 there are five (5) lamplighters left in London, focused on the remaining gas lamps maintained around historical buildings and tourist attractions.

BritishGas_LampLighter.jpg

Back in 1939 there were 418 lamplighters left, just before the German Air Force started bombing London mercilessly for a few years and tried to kill as many civilians as possible, rendering the downscale neighborhoods in East and South London where gas lamps still existed mostly uninhabitable.

Germany puts the London Lamplighter out of business for good, 1940-1942
p01gz6x6.jpg

But before the Germans got antsy (again), in the 1930's the profession of lamplighting aging gas lamps on city streets was nearly extinct, and focused in working class neighborhoods. In middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods the gas lamp had been replaced by superior electric lamps after World War I and through the 1920's.

It's apparent the concept of a small army of lamplighters still walking the fashionable streets of upper-middle class neighborhoods like Cherry Tree Lane in the 1930's each evening at dusk is historically inaccurate. But it is a catchy little song. :cool:

Well as I said I don't know for sure, I'm aware there were only 400 lamplighters left at the end of the 30s so you could be right. I guess it depends on exactly where Cherry Tree Lane is located, and since its never stated explicitly where in London its located it unknown for sure when it would have switched to electric streetlamps.

However since neither the original nor this sequal claimed to be a historically accurate film to begin with, I'm of the opinion it really doesn't matter all the much.

Rich T

Original Poster

I had the exact same reaction, including the “Force Awakens” concern! :D You can easily place the “Spoonful of Sugar” moment, the “Jolly Holiday” sequence, the Uncle Albert replacement, the new “Step in Time,” etc. But It certainly is a solid collection of songs, so at least we know the music’s good. Really good. But as a fan of the books, I gotta say: The books all follow the exact same pattern as one another. Only the details of the outings change. So Disney could actually claim they’re just following the author’s example. :D

Speaking of the books, there are two book-related things in the new soundtrack that I loved: 1) They actually fit the entire “Dirty Rascal” story into that one segment of “The Cover is Not the Book” and 2) The moment near the end when the Balloon Lady and Mary Poppins mention how—come morning—the adults won’t remember any of the magic and then Poppins sadly takes the final balloon... That’s probably the most book-faithful moment in either film.

I’m really looking forward to this. Fingers crossed!

dweezil78

I had the exact same reaction, including the “Force Awakens” concern! :D You can easily place the “Spoonful of Sugar” moment, the “Jolly Holiday” sequence, the Uncle Albert replacement, the new “Step in Time,” etc. But It certainly is a solid collection of songs, so at least we know the music’s good. Really good. But as a fan of the books, I gotta say: The books all follow the exact same pattern as one another. Only the details of the outings change. So Disney could actually claim they’re just following the author’s example. :D

Speaking of the books, there are two book-related things in the new soundtrack that I loved: 1) They actually fit the entire “Dirty Rascal” story into that one segment of “The Cover is Not the Book” and 2) The moment near the end when the Balloon Lady and Mary Poppins mention how—come morning—the adults won’t remember any of the magic and then Poppins sadly takes the final balloon... That’s probably the most book-faithful moment in either film.

I’m really looking forward to this. Fingers crossed!

Ah that’s cool, I’m admittedly not too familiar with the books so it’s good to know that’s par for the course. Still hoping this is more than just a solid nostalgia play and actually offers enough originality to hold it’s own years from now! Fingers crossed.

dweezil78

By the way, I listened more tonight... "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" is literally "Be Our Guest" merged with "Spoonful of Sugar." All the songs are a little of this mixed with a little of that. They're all very catchy, well performed, and well produced... but there's definitely a formula going in the background to tap into nostalgia. It's like the Stranger Things of Disney movies.

Rich T

Original Poster
By the way, I listened more tonight... "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" is literally "Be Our Guest" merged with "Spoonful of Sugar." All the songs are a little of this mixed with a little of that. They're all very catchy, well performed, and well produced... but there's definitely a formula going in the background to tap into nostalgia. It's like the Stranger Things of Disney movies.
I was relieved when “Nowhere to Go But Up” (which I love) ended by segueing into an instrumental of “Let’s Go Fly a Kite,” so that the filmmakers are at least acknowledging the echoes. That helps. :)

GiveMeTheMusic

I think the lyrics to “A Cover is Not the Book” single-handedly earned this movie the PG rating. Seriously, is this the most cleverly risque song ever to be sung in a Disney family film? :D

It’s a great sequence too - Blunt was clearly having a blast.

The movie is carefully crafted to echo the beats of the original while still maintaining a new storyline and new situations, most of which are plucked from the books. It’s really wonderful and was clearly made with the utmost care.

Last edited:

fctiger

So now that the movie is out, what are people's thoughts? I never had a huge interest in seeing it (but was never a big fan of the original) but I might see this one in the future.

Rich T

Original Poster
So now that the movie is out, what are people's thoughts? I never had a huge interest in seeing it (but was never a big fan of the original) but I might see this one in the future.
So far, a (non-jolly) holiday head cold has kept me from seeing it, but several friends and family members all had nearly the same reaction: they enjoyed it, loved the animated sequence, loved Emily Blunt and loved the music. None of them had seen the original movie in a long time, so the similarities in story/song structure didn't bother them. I'm pretty sure I know what to expect at this point, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, mainly because the fantasy sequences look wonderfully done.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So far, a (non-jolly) holiday head cold has kept me from seeing it, but several friends and family members all had nearly the same reaction: they enjoyed it, loved the animated sequence, loved Emily Blunt and loved the music. None of them had seen the original movie in a long time, so the similarities in story/song structure didn't bother them. I'm pretty sure I know what to expect at this point, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, mainly because the fantasy sequences look wonderfully done.

If you go in expecting something new and different, then you might be disappointed. But if you go in expecting a continuation of the original where things are very similar albeit in a more fast paced manner, then you'll enjoy it tremendously.

Either way its a very enjoyable movie with lots of catchy songs and great visuals.

fctiger

If you go in expecting something new and different, then you might be disappointed. But if you go in expecting a continuation of the original where things are very similar albeit in a more fast paced manner, then you'll enjoy it tremendously.

Either way its a very enjoyable movie with lots of catchy songs and great visuals.

Ok, thank you both! It does sound like most people are enjoying it at least but I have a feeling its not as big as others expected to be. I still may see it but so far everyone around me seems to be meh on seeing it even with decent reviews.

ght

I wanted to like it, I really did but it was just “ok” for me. Oddly, I think it had too many (and too long) musical numbers and the story suffered some because of it. I did think Emily Blunt did a good job as Mary and Lin Manuel Miranda wasn’t bad (assuming the reports that he used a terrible accent on purpose as a tribute to DVD) though I thought there was a little too much of his character. I thought the ending musical sequence was the best part that captured the feel of the original. I think it was definitely worth seeing to form your own opinion on though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom