That Elusive Attractor: The D Factor (Hey; that rhymed)

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
Hi, so I posted a thread similar to this a few months ago, but mainly about the theme parks. I'm so curious about this. I've been obsessed with Disney movies, parks and history since I was probably 5. I have collections of books about animation, art, theme parks and basically everything Disney. I still don't know exactly what it is about Disney that is so alluring to me. I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts. What is that Disney element that makes you feel young or alive? Or what do you feel? What draws you to Disney and makes you pay attention to TV specials? Do you feel Disney is different now than it was when you were younger? How so? How do you feel about these changes? Thanks for any ideas!

kap91

I think the thing that appeals to me most about Disney is that (for the most part) they care about quality way more than any other competing industry-specifically the theme parks. When you ride most rides at Disney every detail from the beginning of the queue line to actual ride to the exit is thought about in advance. There are rarely any major lapses in theming. Disney actually seems to care that the experience is all inclusive. Even simple touches like (Note: In Florida not Disneyland) making most of the lines air conditioned or shaded which other parks care less about. Disney makes it seem like they're trying to tell a story. Now in more recent years the quality of some attractions in these respects has gone down a little according to Disney standards but compared to anything-including Universal- the standards are lightyears ahead. That seems to be the difference. Disney actually has standards they try to meet. My feelings are the same to older Disney movies and the Pixar movies although I have to say that most of the recent regular Disney movies have been lacking those qualities with the exception of a small few. So overall I guess the "D-factor", as you put it, for me at least is that Disney (the parks at least) seems to care about telling a story and making an entire experience whereas others only seem to care about offering a ride or soliciting a reaction. Disney may make an attraction once every 5 years that lacks a little bit of this factor (the so called "magic") -no one else can hope to make one with it at all.

Zip-D-Dude

The theming in the parks allows me to be a kid again. It allows me to share time with my kids in a different wa than when we go camping on on some other vacation. Other places, I am alwasy the bad guy that has to keep things in control. At the Disney parks I can experience the parks with them at the same level.

Disney was always the king of animation and set the standards. It was somethng special. When you saw Tinker bell fly over the castle before a show on TV, you new it was going to be good. They have still produced some of the best animation in recent years. In the 80's and eraly 90's they produced some of the best animation ever. (Lion King, Beauty and the Beast) Good stuff

I used to love the Disney comic books when I was a kid, but have not seen anything good in a while.

Anyway, the parks are what do it for me now. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom