News Test Track Closing for Refurbishment January 2020

RobbinsDad

While I like TT (not to the point where it's a must-ride), I've long believed this ride has an not-too-distant expiration date. 2027 seems like a good bet. Once the major work on Epcot Worlds is done I believe they will gut this attraction and turn it into something completely different - IP-based for sure.

Incomudro

The original TT sucked, just as the current one does. It wasn't educational in any meaningful way. "Heres how ABS works" - "Heres how we test suspensions" - "Heres how we test for acid rain". Its not teaching, its show and tell.
Test Track's 'thing' is that it goes 64mph. Thats not even fast - both for a ride and for real life. Not fun. Boring. To be clear - you can have a fun attraction at a lot less than 64mph. Space and Thunder, for instance. But you're in a car. 64 in a car isn't fun. Its commuting.

Yes, I agree that RSR//Carsland doesn't fit the FW theme. Which is why I said it isn't a good spot. But that doesn't negate the fact that RSR is a vastly superior attraction to both versions of Test Track. And its also not going to be Future World for much longer. RSR doesn't fit into any of the new 'Worlds' either, but hanging onto the idea of FW isn't going to help anyone in the long term.

Anyway - my point was that if you're simply replacing an attraction with another, TT to RSR is a clear upgrade. It shouldn't cause nausea because you're improving the ride quality by every measure. Cohesiveness of the theming of the area is a separate issue.

64mph feels pretty fast when you've got no roof, and virtually no windshield - then accelerate rapidly up to it into a highly banked turn.
More so in the context of a ride that most people are enjoying with families and/or friends.
It's not the same as going 65 on the highway at a steady pace with the windows rolled up, a/c and radio on.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Yes, I agree that RSR//Carsland doesn't fit the FW theme. Which is why I said it isn't a good spot. But that doesn't negate the fact that RSR is a vastly superior attraction to both versions of Test Track. And its also not going to be Future World for much longer. RSR doesn't fit into any of the new 'Worlds' either, but hanging onto the idea of FW isn't going to help anyone in the long term.

They kinda shoehorned TT into the WOM building, but how is it any more or less educational than anything else offered in EPCOT right now. If anything it seems like it is one of the more intelligent rides at Epcot right now, compared to Frozen, MS, Soarin, or coming up RAT and GOTG.

Last edited:

trainplane3

They kinda shoehorned TT into the WOM building, but how is it any more or less educational than anything else offered in EPCOT right now. If anything it seems like it is one of the more intelligent rides at Epcot right now, compared to Frozen, MS, Soarin, or coming up RAT and GOTG.
Personally, I feel this version of TT is meant to inspire while the old one was meant to educate. Both still fit Epcots goals in some way.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Personally, I feel this version of TT is meant to inspire while the old one was meant to educate. Both still fit Epcots goals in some way.

For a certain demographic the ride is engaging and fun, for others it's just ride that goes 64 mph around the building. It's just like how Frozen doesn't appeal to all demographics.

UpAllNight

I find test track fun, and last trip we maybe went on it 7 or 8 times. I say that as someone who likes coasters like a Hulk, Mako, Kumba etc

I think I’ll enjoy TT more if it didn’t have the pressure of being an anchor attraction in Epcot, and I hope new additions, both announced and unannounced take that mantle.

trainplane3

For a certain demographic the ride is engaging and fun, for others it's just ride that goes 64 mph around the building. It's just like how Frozen doesn't appeal to all demographics.
No disagreeing there at all. Because of that it should be very important to have a variety of attractions. Something for everyone. Big or small. Fast or slow. Stage show or 3d movie. IP or no IP.

MrConbon

I don’t know if I’m in the minority but I hate the actual aspect of designing the cars. It’s cool the first few times but after a while it just takes so long. Most of the time I’m finished but still have to stand there waiting for the timer to end. Would rather have it so once I’m finished I can continue in line.

Hank Hill

I don’t know if I’m in the minority but I hate the actual aspect of designing the cars. It’s cool the first few times but after a while it just takes so long. Most of the time I’m finished but still have to stand there waiting for the timer to end. Would rather have it so once I’m finished I can continue in line.
I agree, but I think that about a lot of attractions that put you in a preshow room, where you then go back in line. I get preshows are part of the experience and they are usually good, but after so many times on a ride, it's boring. I don't need to see Dr. Seeker explain time travel, or Aerosmith give back stage passes, or Lt. Dan tell me about space flights again after seeing them a dozen or more times. But for the most part, these usually do not actually slow you down from getting on the ride.

TT to me does not feel like you are in a car. I used to have a convertible and drove on the highway with it. None of the ride is really interesting to me. But my son loves it, so I go on it often.

Kamikaze

I didn't know what ABS did, Test Track showed me about them and therefore I left educated. It might have used a show and tell method but it was educational. The speed is irrelevant.
Adding a whole load of rockwork and building RSR in Future World would make a much better ride, but that's the reason its better as it has a better background instead of just circling the building. If you are demolishing and rebuilding there are loads of other things that could be done.
Its the stuff before the outside parts that made original TT better than current test-track.

Ah, but it didn't explain to you how it actually worked, it just showed you that it brakes better with it than without it. Anybody could guess that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Keep in mind, the time you spend designing your car would otherwise be spent waiting in a queue. Its not like you walk out of the design studio and immediately board a vehicle.
GM could always pony up some of the 2011-2014 Equinox 2.4L's they bought back from their owners and offer up a 5-minute session with a sledgehammer.

rle4lunch

GM could always pony up some of the 2011-2014 Equinox 2.4L's they bought back from their owners and offer up a 5-minute session with a sledgehammer.

5 minute sessions is usually how long it takes GM to go from new idea ---> full rate production. It's no wonder why they have so many recalls and their commercials are practically begging the public to buy their cars. The once great GM (pre 1980's and back) is now no more than the Wal-Mart of auto manufacturers.

Tonto

64mph feels pretty fast when you've got no roof, and virtually no windshield - then accelerate rapidly up to it into a highly banked turn.
More so in the context of a ride that most people are enjoying with families and/or friends.
It's not the same as going 65 on the highway at a steady pace with the windows rolled up, a/c and radio on.
, I can't ever remember taking a 30% bank at 65mph! At least, not that I can remember. 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom