Test Sailings

MissMagic

Original Poster
So Disney have said that there is going to be a test sailing on the Magic for U.K. CMs only, before the official sailings are due to take place. I’ve heard legends of CM only test sailings on ships before their official maiden voyages but does anyone know anything more about this? When would it likely be? How would you book? And would it be CMs only, or allow you to have non-CM guests in your cabin...?

ChuckElias

Hi @MissMagic and welcome to the forum! Nice to have new people join us!

There have been no simulated sailings yet here in the US, so I don't have any hard data to answer your questions. And if DCL is going to do a simulated sailing in the UK, I have no idea if the British gov't will impose its own rules on the cruise line. So the best I can do is give you my speculation.

When would it likely be?

Crew members have been reporting to the Magic over the last two weeks, but I don't know if the ship is fully staffed yet. I would guess that they'll need all departments to fully staffed in order to truly simulate a real cruise. So once the ship is fully staffed, I supposed they could sail; and of course, it would have to be before the Staycation cruises begin.

How would you book?

You wouldn't. It will not be open to the general public for normal booking. They may ask certain groups to be volunteers, but they won't be opening up "booking windows".

And would it be CMs only, or allow you to have non-CM guests in your cabin...?

So we had a conversation about this question a few months ago here on the forum. But our guesses were based on the assumption that any simulated sailings would originate from the USA. So we speculated that the passengers would be DCL employees, families of crew members, and employees of other parts of the Disney company. I imagine that most of that group of people would not be available to fly to the UK for a 3- or 4- night sailing. (Or more likely, DCL wouldn't want to pay for them all to fly to London for the cruise.) So I'm not sure who would be asked to part of a test sailing. Maybe they would solicit volunteers from Castaway Club members in the UK, but I honestly don't know.

MissMagic

Original Poster
Hi @MissMagic and welcome to the forum! Nice to have new people join us!

There have been no simulated sailings yet here in the US, so I don't have any hard data to answer your questions. And if DCL is going to do a simulated sailing in the UK, I have no idea if the British gov't will impose its own rules on the cruise line. So the best I can do is give you my speculation.

Crew members have been reporting to the Magic over the last two weeks, but I don't know if the ship is fully staffed yet. I would guess that they'll need all departments to fully staffed in order to truly simulate a real cruise. So once the ship is fully staffed, I supposed they could sail; and of course, it would have to be before the Staycation cruises begin.

You wouldn't. It will not be open to the general public for normal booking. They may ask certain groups to be volunteers, but they won't be opening up "booking windows".

So we had a conversation about this question a few months ago here on the forum. But our guesses were based on the assumption that any simulated sailings would originate from the USA. So we speculated that the passengers would be DCL employees, families of crew members, and employees of other parts of the Disney company. I imagine that most of that group of people would not be available to fly to the UK for a 3- or 4- night sailing. (Or more likely, DCL wouldn't want to pay for them all to fly to London for the cruise.) So I'm not sure who would be asked to part of a test sailing. Maybe they would solicit volunteers from Castaway Club members in the UK, but I honestly don't know.
That’s really interesting, thank you! They’re currently saying the test sailing will be U.K. cast members only, which makes sense, but there’s no other information available and when I called DCL, they had no comment. I’m a U.K. CM , so that’s why I’m so invested, and wondering how they’ve done these before :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom