Rumor Tesla In Talks With Disney to Sponsor TL Speedway

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Electric cars can make noise, depending on how wound-up they are. Formula E cars are futuristically noisy, the Model 3 is quiet but inside you can hear something faintly. Or they can pipe in music or sounds for the wind, or some Tron-like sounds (not to represent exhaust noise of course).

Yeah, Formula E cars sound cool IMO, and I'd guess if there isn't much sound they'd make engine sounds, and they would sound much better than the lawn mower engine sounds we get now.

rle4lunch

Electric cars can make noise, depending on how wound-up they are. Formula E cars are futuristically noisy, the Model 3 is quiet but inside you can hear something faintly. Or they can pipe in music or sounds for the wind, or some Tron-like sounds (not to represent exhaust noise of course).

Maybe the company who makes the Jazzies for the park rentals can sponsor it. That way all those special need folks who can't mount the Tron ride can just simply pull onto the Speedway track and meander around running into people on there.

DCLcruiser

Yeah, Formula E cars sound cool IMO, and I'd guess if there isn't much sound they'd make engine sounds, and they would sound much better than the lawn mower engine sounds we get now.
Agreed, the current sound is horrible. I was just at the NYC ePrix this weekend and the sound is great.

14 seconds of the future (ok, maybe they can turn it down a little)

Last edited:

WDW Pro

I don't think this is an accurate rumor at all. I say that with a bit of hesitation because Elon Musk is the kind of person who could hear the rumor and say, "I love that idea, call Bob." Tesla's a company that moves in different ways than most others, but as of now I don't think there's any merit.

I wish there was though. I hate the sounds of the attraction.

RobbinsDad

Tesla Model S - electric car catches fire after crashing into motorway barrier | Cars | Life ...

It will add plenty of excitement to the ride.
An improvement in my book.

Buried20KLeague

The track has been neutered more than once at this point, now down to a fraction of the length (and fun) it was in the past.

I would venture a guess that nobody is looking to dump a bunch of money into a ride that TDO has been willing to slash and chop at more than once and is hanging on by a thread.

Janir

They wouldn’t even entertain this if they want to keep their deal with GM. Considering GM has been a sponsor for about 37 years and renewed twice with significant investments even amidst their bankruptcy, and is a sponsor in Shanghai too, I wouldn’t risk that for almost anything. I personally like Tesla but it’s not worth it.
Great point. They already have a pretty solid deals with GM and GM already has electric only cars. I don't see the Bob's losing their minds and the last major sponsorship they have with GM for Tesla. GM would have had to already said to them, we're out as of 20XX for them to even consider it. And Tesla can't afford a sponsorship deal like this. The first quarter they come up short and don't make a Disney payment and Disney would yank those Tesla badges right off and the bad press would just help out the stock shorties. Next thing ya know Musk will get into a twitter fight with Iger further pushing his Tesla stock into the toilet range and Iger will never get any further payments, but then Barra from GM may have already pulled Sponsorship of Test Track and Disney is now sitting in a worse situation than they were before.

Janir

LOL thanks guys, reading is fundamental. 10 lashes with a wet pixie stick for me.
Ok I read that my mind parsed that as "a wet pixie" and dropped the "stick" and then I had a bad vision of Jack Jack during babysitting time with Edna, beating Edna over the head with a soaking wet screaming Tinker Bell and pixie dust showering everywhere.
( I didn't say my brain made any sense, with a wet Tinker Bell, the pixie dust would be clumping not showering all over...)

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Great point. They already have a pretty solid deals with GM and GM already has electric only cars. I don't see the Bob's losing their minds and the last major sponsorship they have with GM for Tesla. GM would have had to already said to them, we're out as of 20XX for them to even consider it. And Tesla can't afford a sponsorship deal like this. The first quarter they come up short and don't make a Disney payment and Disney would yank those Tesla badges right off and the bad press would just help out the stock shorties. Next thing ya know Musk will get into a twitter fight with Iger further pushing his Tesla stock into the toilet range and Iger will never get any further payments, but then Barra from GM may have already pulled Sponsorship of Test Track and Disney is now sitting in a worse situation than they were before.
The sponsorships aren’t that big a deal anymore to the company’s bottom line.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Bottom line, no. For regular operational costs deferment? Yes definitely. Sponsorships are more about defraying costs than directly adding to the bottom line.
True, but most of modern Disney’s sponsorships are connected to other lines of business like HP computers/enterprise solutions at WDW or Chiquita products being sold in the parks. If Tesla doesn’t replace GM’s current role as a vehicle supplier, what’s the hook for WDW Co?

Janir

True, but most of modern Disney’s sponsorships are connected to other lines of business like HP computers/enterprise solutions at WDW or Chiquita products being sold in the parks. If Tesla doesn’t replace GM’s current role as a vehicle supplier, what’s the hook for WDW Co?
Also a very good point. GM isn't just a sponsor of Test Track and such but they are providing vehicles and Minnie vans etc..at discounts to Disney. Sure Tesla could try to replace that, but they don't have the support for their regular customers let alone Disney operational demands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom