Teppan Edo and Food Allergy ???

disneygirl1

Original Poster
So, it just dawned on me that I have a reservation at Teppan Edo and I know that they cook all the food on the same grittle. Hear's the issue, I have a food allergy to all shell fish. What should I do??? Let them know that ahead on time, like call now or do I let the hostess know when I check in for my ressie, or let the chef know when I get seated??? Not sure exactly what I should do. My main concern is, I do not what to be carried out on a strecher b/c my throat closed. That would not be a good way to end my stay at Disney!!! Appreciate any advice. Thanks, Teresa

Mukta

Let them know that ahead on time, like call now or do I let the hostess know when I check in for my ressie, or let the chef know when I get seated???

Since your allergy is severe, I would do all three. . . and carry benadryl and an epi-pen.

krankenstein

Call the and have it noted on your ADR. About a week before you plan on dining at the restaurant, call and ask to speak with the head chef of the restaurant. Inform him/her of your dietary needs and they will take care of it. Once you show up for your ADR, I would remind my hostess and the person actually cooking at your table just in case.

NewfieFan

Don't worry they can accommodate you! I have a shellfish allergy and I'm eating there. Let them know when you make the ADR and they will add a note to the reservation. If the hostess doesn't mention it when you check in just remind them again and then the chef will speak with you!

You should always carry an epipen... I recommend Twinject actually!

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!!! Putting a call in now to note it on my ressie!! Appreciate the help. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner, but then again, I usually don't have too many issues with it, but last Friday, I had a reaction at the Phillies game from just being near shell fish. Figured I better be safe instead of sorry!

foreverbelle

Thanks everyone!!! Putting a call in now to note it on my ressie!! Appreciate the help. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner, but then again, I usually don't have too many issues with it, but last Friday, I had a reaction at the Phillies game from just being near shell fish. Figured I better be safe instead of sorry!

As I have mentioned in other posts, I am with you. Except I am the exact opposite I am allergic to beef/pork and dairy. So I know what it's like to go through the whole routine. While it may not be considered severe enough to carry an E-PI pen with me, its bad enough to cause me to break out in rashes.

I have always called reservations up and add my allergies. I have found all of the places I eat at to be more than accommodating in working with me. You should have no problem with your own...

Believe me its one of the many reasons we go back year after year. I can travel and not have to worry at all!

disneygirl1

Original Poster
As I have mentioned in other posts, I am with you. Except I am the exact opposite I am allergic to beef/pork and dairy. So I know what it's like to go through the whole routine. While it may not be considered severe enough to carry an E-PI pen with me, its bad enough to cause me to break out in rashes.

I have always called reservations up and add my allergies. I have found all of the places I eat at to be more than accommodating in working with me. You should have no problem with your own...

Believe me its one of the many reasons we go back year after year. I can travel and not have to worry at all!

Thanks!!! I actually just got off the phone and had the CM note it on my ressie. She was very nice and gave me the dietary line to call on Monday so I could speak to someone about it at Teppan Edo. I should be fine as long as my food is cooked on the oppose side of the grittle. Like I said, I haven't had a real bad reaction in years. Last Friday was a first, I broke out in a rash from just sitting next to someone who was eating clams!!!

Now, will the hostess say something to me when I check in about the allergy? I'm assuming if not, I should just mention it again. The CM assured me that the hostess would definitely say something since its an allergy. She says they take that very seriously.

NewfieFan

Thanks!!! I actually just got off the phone and had the CM note it on my ressie. She was very nice and gave me the dietary line to call on Monday so I could speak to someone about it at Teppan Edo. I should be fine as long as my food is cooked on the oppose side of the grittle. Like I said, I haven't had a real bad reaction in years. Last Friday was a first, I broke out in a rash from just sitting next to someone who was eating clams!!!

Now, will the hostess say something to me when I check in about the allergy? I'm assuming if not, I should just mention it again. The CM assured me that the hostess would definitely say something since its an allergy. She says they take that very seriously.

Yes, the hostess will probably bring it up while seating you or after you've been seated. Only once, did I have a hostess not mention it and before I got a chance to remind them... the chef was already at my table addressing my concerns. They're very "on top of it"!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you got a reaction by just sitting near someone eating clams, you need to be real carful. Seating is very close together at Tepan Edo, and I would recomend asking that your food be prepared in the back kitchen if anyone else is having shellfish at your hibachi. Sounds like you are very sensitive to exposure and this is a very easy place to get exposed given the seating and nature of the dining.

foreverbelle

Yes as the previous poster said. Usually they have it marked on our ticket or something. The hostess comes and says that they can't bring anything out until after the chef has spoken to me. They do take things very seriously believe me I have never had to remind them. The funny thing is, my husband gets so jealous because they cook pretty much what I want....and says wow it's like you get your own chef. So yes they should see you before but it is a good thing if you remind them. But I have never had to.

I'll be going in 20 days so I can answer any questions or concerns on the latest when I return.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!!! Belle, I appreciate you letting me know how things go when you return. Calling in the AM to speak to someone from dietary. Thanks again!

ligarced

My mom has the same sever allergy to shell fish. They went to Teppan Edo last year and she called and told them about it when she made her ressie. Then when they got there she just reminded them. They cooked hers first then theu cooked the shrimp after hers was done. She was fine. Enjoy your meal that place is really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom