Telling your school about the CP...?

toetheline29

Original Poster
Since the CP is something I'm seriously considering doing, and my parents won't be paying for anything more than four years of college (so it's really important I graduate on time), participating in the CP is going to require some planning on my part (and I would still like to do at least a short study abroad.... although I can do that during the summer if I have to). So, I was thinking that since this is something I want to do, I should tell my academic advisor-person early on so we can develop a plan. I'm a little worried about having that conversation, though :eek:. I'll be a freshman at a Big Ten university in the fall, and I don't play sports, so I'm going to this school for academic reasons. I don't think many (or any; there's no presentation scheduled at my school) students from my school partcipate. I'm worried that my school is going to look down on the program and thus be very difficult to deal with. I'm concerned that my academic advisor (or whoever I'll have to talk about this to) is not going to understand that I'm not just blowing off a semester to live in Florida and work a part-time job. I'm worried they're not going to see the benefits of doing the CP, and I doubt that they're going to understand my Disneyness.

Now, on the other hand, it's entirely possible (although it seems unlikely) that they'll be a Disney person too, in which case... :sohappy:.

I don't know.... I just worry. How did it go telling your school about the program? Did they give you a hard time, or were they pretty understanding?

vwayfan123

You should totally go for it! I'm not sure, but I don't think that it matters if they have a presentation at your school or not. You can watch the "e-presentation" which will cover the same things. You might not get school credits for doing the program, but it doesn't sound like you're interested in that. My school gave me credit, but not much, only 6.

There are different CP sessions, the regular "fall" and "spring" and also the "fall advantage" and "spring advantage" which are a few month longer.

Also, the CP is not a part time job. You will be working around atleast 40hrs a week if not more. Every week i was scheduled about 40-45hrs tho that doesn't mean you aren't allowed personal/sick days ;-)

If you're set on graduating on time, consider taking an online class. Just remember you will be pretty busy with the CP and i'm sure you're going to want to have some fun while you're in FLA too. if you do decide to take a class i'd only take 1 but that's me.

joanna71985

I feel lucky. My school happens to be a "host school" (hosting presentations every semester). And luckily my career development department is very supportive of students doing the CP.

Talk to your school. I'm sure it will all work out.

toetheline29

Original Poster
You should totally go for it! I'm not sure, but I don't think that it matters if they have a presentation at your school or not. You can watch the "e-presentation" which will cover the same things. You might not get school credits for doing the program, but it doesn't sound like you're interested in that. My school gave me credit, but not much, only 6.

There are different CP sessions, the regular "fall" and "spring" and also the "fall advantage" and "spring advantage" which are a few month longer.

Also, the CP is not a part time job. You will be working around atleast 40hrs a week if not more. Every week i was scheduled about 40-45hrs tho that doesn't mean you aren't allowed personal/sick days ;-)

If you're set on graduating on time, consider taking an online class. Just remember you will be pretty busy with the CP and i'm sure you're going to want to have some fun while you're in FLA too. if you do decide to take a class i'd only take 1 but that's me.

Oh, I know it's not a part time job :). I'm just worried my adviser is going to hear I'm working at a theme park and isn't going to hear what I'm saying (because I really do believe there are benefits to doing the CP, and I know it's way more than working at a theme park). I've poked about a bit on wdwmagic, finding information on the CP, so I feel like I know what I would be getting myself into. And I am very much looking to get credit for doing this, because otherwise I'll lose my health insurance.... so I'm hoping I can get some credits just for doing the internship, and then doing online classes or setting up an independent study with one of my professors or something.

I feel lucky. My school happens to be a "host school" (hosting presentations every semester). And luckily my career development department is very supportive of students doing the CP.

Talk to your school. I'm sure it will all work out.

You gotta sell your school on this - don't go in all worried and wishy-washy.

Thanks for the encouragement :). Plus, I looked, and some of the schools that my school has big rivalries with host presentations. So I guess I could always toss that out there, if my school gets difficult....:ROFLOL:.

But it really went okay for you all? People at your school didn't look at you like you were crazy when you told them (or, if they did, it was okay anyway)?

joanna71985

Thanks for the encouragement :). Plus, I looked, and some of the schools that my school has big rivalries with host presentations. So I guess I could always toss that out there, if my school gets difficult....:ROFLOL:.

But it really went okay for you all? People at your school didn't look at you like you were crazy when you told them (or, if they did, it was okay anyway)?

Nope, not at all. I didn't know it at the time, but I applied at the perfect school for wanting to do the CP. Besides my advisor at the Career Services department, there is a professor at the school who has been involved with the CP since it began. So they have been promoting the CP for over 20 years now. I can't wait to go back. :)

Bug715

I was one of the first from my school to go. I do feel that my school promotes study abroad a lot but we didnt have a campus rep until i came back. I doubt your school will look down on it because disney is known for great service and diversity. My parents also said they'd pay for 4 years. Since i didn't have enough hours in my field to get internship credit I went to the chairperson of my then minor with the sylibi pertaining to that field and said I was doing the program and I needed to get credit. Because my school is stupid about accepting credits I ended up doing 2 independent studies. One I had articles to read and write journals on relating it to the experiences I was having. The other I went to a Disney class and also turned the homework into my professor here and wrote an additional paper. I got 6 hours then, had 20 hours this semester and will take a class this summer to finish my degree. If you take 18 hours every semester other than when you're in Disney and maybe take a few classes in the summer you'll be fine.

As a campus rep I work with the university of Kentucky which is a big sports school and we get tons of support. Which school do you go to?

DisneyChik17

First, best of luck!

Second, no one from my school has ever done the program. I go to a small community college and am receiving no credit for my Fall Advantage program.

Third, insurance. If you get accepted and write a letter to your insurance company you may still be able to receive coverage even though you are not enrolled in school for the semester.

Fourth, if graduating on time is a big thing for you, you may want to consider applying during your last semester of college and doing the program after you graduate. You will still qualify because you are in college at the time of application and you will still graduate on time.

Again, best of luck to you!

Pioneer Hall

I was in the boat of schools that don't really like the program too much. Disney does come here to recruit, but my business school adviser told me that I shouldn't do it. He wasn't going to give me enough credits to do the program to stay full time since we don't recognize enough of their courses. In the end, I didn't do the program.

However, each school is different and just because no one might do it doesn't mean the school itself won't be receptive. Definitely talk to an adviser early and make a plan if it is something you want to do. It might require summer and winter classes in order to get enough credits to graduate in 4 years. If there is something I learned in college though, it is seize any opportunity you want. I wanted to do the program, but in the end it wasn't as important as some other things I wanted to do on campus. It also hasn't affected my post graduate job plans with Disney either (I will be working there within a year most likely).

markc

Honestly - the program is weak - and any good school will tell you that. If the big 10 school you are going to is one with a fairly strong academic program (such as MSU, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State...etc) chances are they will not give you credits for doing the program. On top of that, if you do want to study abroad, AND do the college program - you wont graduate on time.

As for telling your academic advisor now about it, when you haven't even started college - I would advise not. Start college, and wait until your spring semester/quarter before you start thinking about changing your course of action for your academic program. you have no idea on what your college experience will be like, and having it revolve around the college program is, for a lack of better words, plain stupid.

Basically, if you want to do the program, that is your perogative. But realize it is not all it is cracked up to be. It's a scam by Disney to mass-fill lower end positions with a higher level of qualified applicants but paying them dramatically less. If you are looking for an 'in" with Disney to work with them post-college, concentrate on your college degree and get good, relevant, work experience elsewhere. Most senior managers at Disney will tell you that they prefer NOT to hire CP's for serious positions. CP's generally get hired in lower end positions within the company post-grad, and many of them are still hourly (when in fact, college grads should not accept anything less than salaried positions).

Sorry for being so negative - but this is the honest truth. The presentations that Disney puts on for the CP's are well polished and nice, but highly misleading as well. Don't fall for the "Disney is a Fortune 100 company, so other companies love to see their name on their resume" line that ALL CP recruiters over use. Last time I checked, McDonalds and Wal-Mart are Fortune 100 companies too - but just because you are sweeping the floors at those places or using a cash register, doesnt mean that companies are impressed by that :ROFLOL:

Since the CP is something I'm seriously considering doing, and my parents won't be paying for anything more than four years of college (so it's really important I graduate on time), participating in the CP is going to require some planning on my part (and I would still like to do at least a short study abroad.... although I can do that during the summer if I have to). So, I was thinking that since this is something I want to do, I should tell my academic advisor-person early on so we can develop a plan. I'm a little worried about having that conversation, though :eek:. I'll be a freshman at a Big Ten university in the fall, and I don't play sports, so I'm going to this school for academic reasons. I don't think many (or any; there's no presentation scheduled at my school) students from my school partcipate. I'm worried that my school is going to look down on the program and thus be very difficult to deal with. I'm concerned that my academic advisor (or whoever I'll have to talk about this to) is not going to understand that I'm not just blowing off a semester to live in Florida and work a part-time job. I'm worried they're not going to see the benefits of doing the CP, and I doubt that they're going to understand my Disneyness.

Now, on the other hand, it's entirely possible (although it seems unlikely) that they'll be a Disney person too, in which case... :sohappy:.

I don't know.... I just worry. How did it go telling your school about the program? Did they give you a hard time, or were they pretty understanding?

Bug715

I completly disagree. Yes if you go down foe the program and stay without finnishing school most likely you will stay a normal hourly CM. But I can tell many stories if people I know who did the program, completed their degree and are now in management. Actually I have a friend who did a Professional Internship after our program and was ofered to continue the management role but decided to finish school. It is a good foot in the door if you network and make/keep contacts.

Disney has helped my resume a lot. I applied for three jobs last summer and at the interviews they only wanted to talk about my working at Disney and I was offered a job at all three places. Yes the program is a lot of work for minimal pay but it gives you the skill of communicating with people from around the world. Plus you make friends from all over the place so you can have people to visit everywhere.

Basically, if you want to do the program, that is your perogative. But realize it is not all it is cracked up to be. It's a scam by Disney to mass-fill lower end positions with a higher level of qualified applicants but paying them dramatically less. If you are looking for an 'in" with Disney to work with them post-college, concentrate on your college degree and get good, relevant, work experience elsewhere. Most senior managers at Disney will tell you that they prefer NOT to hire CP's for serious positions. CP's generally get hired in lower end positions within the company post-grad, and many of them are still hourly

Sorry for being so negative - but this is the honest truth. The presentations that Disney puts on for the CP's are well polished and nice, but highly misleading as well. Don't fall for the "Disney is a Fortune 100 company, so other companies love to see their name on their resume" line that ALL CP recruiters over use. Last time I checked, McDonalds and Wal-Mart are Fortune 100 companies too - but just because you are sweeping the floors at those places or using a cash register, doesnt mean that companies are impressed by that :ROFLOL:

markc

I completly disagree. Yes if you go down foe the program and stay without finnishing school most likely you will stay a normal hourly CM. But I can tell many stories if people I know who did the program, completed their degree and are now in management. Actually I have a friend who did a Professional Internship after our program and was ofered to continue the management role but decided to finish school. It is a good foot in the door if you network and make/keep contacts.

While I respectfully disagree, I can tell you that you are very wrong based on what I've seen. In the administration offices - there are quite a few people who are hourly that GRADUATED from college. I'm not talking about hourly at the parks either - i'm talking about post-college office jobs where they are still subjected to hourly pay-scales. Disney avoids making people salaried as if it were the plague, especially with CP "grads". Professional Internships are different as well and the pool of people they choose from is significantly different than the CP crowd. But I can assure you, hardly any CP's are getting any management jobs other than Food-Service manager/lead jobs (or jobs similar to that).

Disney has helped my resume a lot. I applied for three jobs last summer and at the interviews they only wanted to talk about my working at Disney and I was offered a job at all three places.

What kind of jobs and what companies? I highly doubt these were competitive companies looking for skilled post-grad college students.

Yes the program is a lot of work for minimal pay but it gives you the skill of communicating with people from around the world. Plus you make friends from all over the place so you can have people to visit everywhere.

You should be able to learn on how to communicate at the college you attend - not a minimum wage job at Disney. Likewise - college is the place you'll make friends all over.

toetheline29

Original Poster
I was one of the first from my school to go. I do feel that my school promotes study abroad a lot but we didnt have a campus rep until i came back. I doubt your school will look down on it because disney is known for great service and diversity. My parents also said they'd pay for 4 years. Since i didn't have enough hours in my field to get internship credit I went to the chairperson of my then minor with the sylibi pertaining to that field and said I was doing the program and I needed to get credit. Because my school is stupid about accepting credits I ended up doing 2 independent studies. One I had articles to read and write journals on relating it to the experiences I was having. The other I went to a Disney class and also turned the homework into my professor here and wrote an additional paper. I got 6 hours then, had 20 hours this semester and will take a class this summer to finish my degree. If you take 18 hours every semester other than when you're in Disney and maybe take a few classes in the summer you'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure that by taking a heavier courseload my other semesters, I could do the CP and take just the bare minimum I need to keep full-time status. I have no problem with taking classes in the summer, either. I'm thinking independent studies are definitely something to look into. That worked out especially good for you, since you could get credit for the Disney class too :). Maybe I could arrange one with a foreign language department, since I would encounter non-English speakers at Disney too (and then maybe throw in the odd paper or two). Thanks for the ideas!

First, best of luck!

Second, no one from my school has ever done the program. I go to a small community college and am receiving no credit for my Fall Advantage program.

Third, insurance. If you get accepted and write a letter to your insurance company you may still be able to receive coverage even though you are not enrolled in school for the semester.

Fourth, if graduating on time is a big thing for you, you may want to consider applying during your last semester of college and doing the program after you graduate. You will still qualify because you are in college at the time of application and you will still graduate on time.

Again, best of luck to you!

Insurance (and scholarship/financial aid status) are my primary worries. I haven't heard of writing a letter to my insurance company, though. I'll have to look into that.

Also, your idea to do the CP after I graduate is a really good one, since then I wouldn't have to worry about credits. The only thing is that that's so far away from now.... :lookaroun

I was in the boat of schools that don't really like the program too much. Disney does come here to recruit, but my business school adviser told me that I shouldn't do it. He wasn't going to give me enough credits to do the program to stay full time since we don't recognize enough of their courses. In the end, I didn't do the program.

However, each school is different and just because no one might do it doesn't mean the school itself won't be receptive. Definitely talk to an adviser early and make a plan if it is something you want to do. It might require summer and winter classes in order to get enough credits to graduate in 4 years. If there is something I learned in college though, it is seize any opportunity you want. I wanted to do the program, but in the end it wasn't as important as some other things I wanted to do on campus. It also hasn't affected my post graduate job plans with Disney either (I will be working there within a year most likely).

Thanks for the advice. Congratulations on your job plans w/ Disney!

Honestly - the program is weak - and any good school will tell you that. If the big 10 school you are going to is one with a fairly strong academic program (such as MSU, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State...etc) chances are they will not give you credits for doing the program. On top of that, if you do want to study abroad, AND do the college program - you wont graduate on time.

As for telling your academic advisor now about it, when you haven't even started college - I would advise not. Start college, and wait until your spring semester/quarter before you start thinking about changing your course of action for your academic program. you have no idea on what your college experience will be like, and having it revolve around the college program is, for a lack of better words, plain stupid.

Basically, if you want to do the program, that is your perogative. But realize it is not all it is cracked up to be. It's a scam by Disney to mass-fill lower end positions with a higher level of qualified applicants but paying them dramatically less. If you are looking for an 'in" with Disney to work with them post-college, concentrate on your college degree and get good, relevant, work experience elsewhere. Most senior managers at Disney will tell you that they prefer NOT to hire CP's for serious positions. CP's generally get hired in lower end positions within the company post-grad, and many of them are still hourly (when in fact, college grads should not accept anything less than salaried positions).

Actually, I did a little bit of research, and of the four you listed, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State all host presentations, some more than one, so I'm guessing those aren't as anti-CP as some other colleges might be (although, to be fair, another poster did say that their college had a presentation but recommended against the CP). Mine wasn't listed and it just so happens that it doesn't offer a presentation, but....

As for telling my advisor, I wasn't planning on going over this at Orientation or anything :). I was going to drop in at some point late in the fall or early next winter, so I could make sure I was taking a courseload that would allow me to participate in the CP.

I don't really see myself working for Disney long term. I don't know exactly what I want to do, but whatever I end up doing, I don't see myself doing it at Disney. I would rather be able to be Orlando whenever I want to vacation than have to be there every day for work. So I'm not real concerned with how doing the CP makes you look to the higher-ups.

You seem to have a lot of thoughts about how the CP affects one's future. Have you participated in it?

Pioneer Hall

I'm pretty sure that by taking a heavier courseload my other semesters, I could do the CP and take just the bare minimum I need to keep full-time status. I have no problem with taking classes in the summer, either. I'm thinking independent studies are definitely something to look into. That worked out especially good for you, since you could get credit for the Disney class too :). Maybe I could arrange one with a foreign language department, since I would encounter non-English speakers at Disney too (and then maybe throw in the odd paper or two). Thanks for the ideas!

Insurance (and scholarship/financial aid status) are my primary worries. I haven't heard of writing a letter to my insurance company, though. I'll have to look into that.

Also, your idea to do the CP after I graduate is a really good one, since then I wouldn't have to worry about credits. The only thing is that that's so far away from now.... :lookaroun

Thanks for the advice. Congratulations on your job plans w/ Disney!

Actually, I did a little bit of research, and of the four you listed, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State all host presentations, some more than one, so I'm guessing those aren't as anti-CP as some other colleges might be (although, to be fair, another poster did say that their college had a presentation but recommended against the CP). Mine wasn't listed and it just so happens that it doesn't offer a presentation, but....

As for telling my advisor, I wasn't planning on going over this at Orientation or anything :). I was going to drop in at some point late in the fall or early next winter, so I could make sure I was taking a courseload that would allow me to participate in the CP.

I don't really see myself working for Disney long term. I don't know exactly what I want to do, but whatever I end up doing, I don't see myself doing it at Disney. I would rather be able to be Orlando whenever I want to vacation than have to be there every day for work. So I'm not real concerned with how doing the CP makes you look to the higher-ups.

You seem to have a lot of thoughts about how the CP affects one's future. Have you participated in it?

One other things about the presentations...Just like at my school, if a presentation is offered it doesn't mean your adviser will like the program. What you will soon see is that a college is like a big company. There are a ton of divisions that don't speak to each other or know what the other is thinking. Your career center would be the likely ones to bring in the presentation, but some or all of the program advisers at your school will think it isn't worthwhile.

To be perfectly blunt, it really doesn't matter what your adviser thinks. They are there to advise you on what classes to take and when...not what life decisions to make! I actually didn't even tell my school, I just didn't sign up for classes again and had to re-enroll after the program....but that probably wasn't the smartest route to take! :) These next 4 years are the only time in your life that these adventures will be possible, where you can just drop everything and do what you want. Take advantage of it!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom