Tell me about Christmas Day please

CP_alum08

Original Poster
So, due to circumstances beyond our control (sort of...), my GF and I will not be heading home to MI for Christmas until the 26th. That means we have Christmas Day, 1500 miles away from any family with nothing to do...so why not go to WDW!

What are we to expect? We know it will be nuts, that much we know. We're far more concerned about taking in the atmosphere than doing all the top attractions. How does the taping for the parade work? Do you have to get their super early to get spot? Do they only allow so many people on Main St. at a time? Things like that.

Do any restaurants do anything special?

Is MK the only park we should be at or do the other parks have events going on too?

I know this is pretty vague, but I would like a broad range of experiences please!

Crockett

Banned
What are we to expect?
In a nutshell...
IMG_0150.jpg

UrbanDonovan

I'm pretty sure the X-mas parade will be taped very soon, if it hasn't already.

Someone in the know please feel free to correct me.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Crockett - I know it's going to be packed, I'm OK with that, that's not what I was asking. I want to know if there is anything special that happens.

Really? I didn't realize it was taped so far in advance. So there is no special parade on actual Christmas day?

reptar77

The parade is taped the first week in decemeber. I forget if the taping starts on Thurs or Friday.
We usually skip the MK until the evening.

reptar77

We don't go at christmas because it is so crowded. This is what I could find about dining.
http://allears.net/menu/men_christmas.htm

Have fun :)

So, due to circumstances beyond our control (sort of...), my GF and I will not be heading home to MI for Christmas until the 26th. That means we have Christmas Day, 1500 miles away from any family with nothing to do...so why not go to WDW!

What are we to expect? We know it will be nuts, that much we know. We're far more concerned about taking in the atmosphere than doing all the top attractions. How does the taping for the parade work? Do you have to get their super early to get spot? Do they only allow so many people on Main St. at a time? Things like that.

Do any restaurants do anything special?

Is MK the only park we should be at or do the other parks have events going on too?

I know this is pretty vague, but I would like a broad range of experiences please!

menamechris

Obviously, one of the busiest days of the year, but you will get to see Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime parade (it usually runs twice during the day), Castle Dreamlights Lighting Ceremony at dusk, Holiday Wishes, and I believe the castle shows are all Christmas oriented on Christmas Day. So if you can handle the crowd, you will get to experience all holiday entertainment. For dining, I think certain resorts do Christmas dinners. I would check as the dates get closer. I dont think they are released yet...

drp4video

We used to go all the time at Christmas. If you get there very early, I recall the park doesn't get insanely crowded until about noon or 1 pm. I remember being surprised at that the first time we went. Now it has been 4 years since I have gone to MK on Christmas Day, but that is what I remember. Special fireworks, castle is special, just what other poster said.

I believe Epcot's countries has Santa's that are true to that country. Osborne lights of course are up at DHS. I also recall the Animal Kingdom having a special parade. Now of course, the last time I went on Christmas Day was 2007 so somethings might be different, but we always did the MK that day.

rct247

VERY VERY crowded. Two day parades (regular christmas parade), quite a few street parties, castle lighting, 2 night parades (regular electrical parade), and holiday wishes fireworks. Dance party will be up in Tomorrowland. Seasonal quick service restaurants will be open. Special crowd control set up for parades like backstage bypasses, etc.

Christmas Day parade is taped the first weekend of December. None of those festivities will be live on Christmas day.

There may be phase closings.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
SeaWorld on December 25 is not end of the world packed. I have been in SWO a few times on that day and the coaster waits cap out around 45 minutes. That is not bad for that day comparing to Disney and Uni crowds.

Minnie1976

The 2 times we have been at DW for Christmas we were at the MK before 7 a.m. It didn't get really crowded until about 11:30m when we would leave to do something else. One year we had reservations at Tony's and were afraid we couldn't get back in, but we didn't have a problem. You have to use your early hours and late hours to avoid the really crowded times and don't have a specific plan for that day. Just go with whatever works for you.

quirkle

I totally agree with going early - we went in during EMH and left around 130-2ish. We went on a to of rides first thing and then walked around and watched the parade.

We left to hit the pool and veg before grabbing a quick bite to eat. When we were leaving there was a tidalwave of people coming in.

We are early people so it did not effect us at all - hopefully the next time we hit WDW at Christmas my little one can stay up late enough for fireworks which we missed last time since my youngest fell asleep in the stroller.

Crockett

Banned
Crockett - I know it's going to be packed, I'm OK with that, that's not what I was asking.
Yes, but I was just making an emphasis on exactly what type of "packed" we're talking about here. There's busy weekend/holiday packed, then there's "Sweet baby Jesus I cannot even see the sidewalk!" packed.

The last time (and it will remain the last time) we visited MK on Christmas day, it was by far the latter of the two.

hankhill

Christmas Day

We had the same thing last year. We surprised the kids with a Disney trip for Christmas. Actually for Christmas. Be in the parks Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and the week after. We prepared for the worst. The worst customer service, the worst crowds etc etc.

What we got was probably the most wonderful Christmas day we have ever experienced. We scheduled an 830 breakfast at Crystal Palace so we got to the park early just in case it was nuts. It wasnt any more than usual. We rode Space Mountain, Buzz and caught the Trolley Song all before breakfast. We spent a relaxing wonderful breakfast with Pooh and friends and then went into Adventureland. We really had no major issues with crowds outside of the norm. It wasnt that much more packed than at other times (including October and May) and we had minimal issues negotiating the crowds. I willsay we expereinced a pretty clogged up area in Frontierland during the parade but that was expected really. I guess we left the park at about 4 to chill prior to our late dinner reservation at Ohana unscathed.

Merry Christmas heard everywhere. People in great moods. What we expereinced was that by the 26th/27th we were wondering where the heck all these people came from. it seems that folks spent Christmas at home and then came down a few days afterwards and it got somewhat stupid then.

We were ready for war, for landing on the beaches at Normandy and instead got a wonderful surprise. We were calm cool and collected and nothing bothered us. The key was to have a plan and not let the expected crowds and stupidity that was sure to come bother us.

Quite obviously the parade is pretaped and not on Christmas Day as others have I am sure mentioned here

Have a great time, dont let others impatience effect you and Merry Christmas! :xmas:

goofntink

The taping for the segments from Disneyland for the Christmas day Parade have already been taped. The taping at the MK will be on Friday and Saturday Dec 2nd and 3rd. Sorry to say that the "guests" you see in the broadcast are actually cast members and their family and friends. Reason for this is they will tape parts of the parade over and over,and it is easier to control the "spectators" and preserve the magic so to speak. They may use park guests during the day but only to fill empty areas in the far background.Otherwise known as the Magic of Television!!! They give out tickets to us for both days.They also ask us to wear specific holiday attire,and dress our kids under 10 in holiday costumes. We have to be in the park very early so the can place everyone before taping starts at 9am every day.

DisneySaint

I experienced Chirstmas 2007 and 2008 as a Guest Relations host and certainly heard "I expected it to be crowded but COME ON!" more times than I can remember. With that said, as long as you go in with your expectations being simply that you'll get into the park (provided you arrive early; MK almost inevitably reaches capacity), you'll at least live to tell the tale. I would strongly advise, if at all possible, to avoid MK, however.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom