tell me about Aulani

mikewdw

we have been WDW for numerous trips and have now done DCL 4 trips so my wife is now interested in Aulani. Since this a fairly big difference for us, especially getting there (live in AL) really need to determine if worth it. we are 5 , kids 12, 10 10. we know it will be beautiful and well run but wondering what about activities, cost in general, excursions, any special info we would need know,
in general is it a "good trip" or a "wow, what an amazing place, I cant believe we are here" trip.
while I know no one can say how our family will like it just looking for perspective of others because so different for us.
thanks
mikewdw

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I actually just posted this in another thread:

"I almost stayed at Aulani using DVC points but my fiance and I decided against it. We wanted to see as much of the island as we could and staying at Aulani would be an inconvenience because of its isolation. While in staying in Waikiki, we visited Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u, Lanikai and Kailua. Those places are a far drive from Ko Olina which is where Aulani is located. We did all that before we left to stay on the North Shore. The traffic is really bad on the island during the week and traveling to and from Ko Olina can be a pain. From our resort in Waikiki, we took a bus to Paradise Cove which is located next to Aulani. Because of traffic, it took almost 3 hours to get there when it should have only been an hours drive.

So just keep that in mind. Aulani has a lot to offer on the property but if you want to see more of the island, it may not be the best place to stay."

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/aulani-anyone.913966/#post-7277179

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

I actually just posted this in another thread:

"I almost stayed at Aulani using DVC points but my fiance and I decided against it. We wanted to see as much of the island as we could and staying at Aulani would be an inconvenience because of its isolation. While in staying in Waikiki, we visited Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u, Lanikai and Kailua. Those places are a far drive from Ko Olina which is where Aulani is located. We did all that before we left to stay on the North Shore. The traffic is really bad on the island during the week and traveling to and from Ko Olina can be a pain. From our resort in Waikiki, we took a bus to Paradise Cove which is located next to Aulani. Because of traffic, it took almost 3 hours to get there when it should have only been an hours drive.

So just keep that in mind. Aulani has a lot to offer on the property but if you want to see more of the island, it may not be the best place to stay."

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/aulani-anyone.913966/#post-7277179

Agree with this. It depends on what you are looking for in your stay. I have a couple friends who stayed at Aulani with DVC and just raved about it nonstop. But we decided to stay on Waikiki for convenience to what we wanted to do/see. Hawaii is amazing, and especially recommend Maui, but traffic is really bad and everything is very expensive. If you want a resort vacation then do Aulani. If you want to do touristy stuff elsewhere, it may not be the best place to stay.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

We are going for our honeymoon, which is primarily going to be a "resort-based" vacation. However, Aulani does offer many excursions around the island for a fee. While this is a resort targeting many different groups (families, romantics), there is a ton of stuff for your kids to do and explore, it sounds like. Between the Menehuni (sp) trails, all the pools, lazy river, water slides, Starlit Hui, Auntie's Beach House, Character breakfasts, and lagoon activities, it's hard to think it WOULDN'T be worth it. We're taking the gamble, even though it means giving up WDW for two years. Good luck! Can't wait to read your decision!

Also, @Gaston's gal trip report really helped us get a feel for the place!

Upvote 0

mikewdw

Original Poster
what kind of budget do we need to make for food during the trip?
How much will we want/need to go to another island to see/do things
how much would it cost to go to another island
any must do excursions/activities, probably not doing Aulani again for a while
any other tips, things to think about while planning
mikewdw

Upvote 0

KikoKea

mikewdw
Aulani, as you might have noted when looking at it on Googlemaps, etc, is located in a developed area called Ko'olina on Oahu's west coast, which is an area tourists should not be wandering around in. It has about 6 high end resorts along the coast, along with a golf course and homes/rentals. The resorts are connected by sidewalks along the beach and road. There is an area with shops and restaurants in Ko'olina, across from Aulani, but to get to any other places outside of Ko'olina (or if you don't want to walk) you will need a car.

For food, if you eat only at Aulani or neighboring restaurants across the street from the resort, you'll need to budget anywhere from about $15 (quick service) to $50+ (table service or buffett) /person/meal, not including snacks.

As for what else you want to do, that really depends on you. If you are content to stay at a resort for several days and just chill, you'll like Aulani and the area. It is beautiful and has several fun pools and a nice cove beach. If you want to see and do more, I would suggest you take a look at what day trips Aulani offers and read up on the areas around Oahu- North Shore, Hanauma Bay, hikes, water sports, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc and check for prices.

Traffic here can be bad since most areas have only 1 or 2 roads serving them- the North Shore, Ko'olina area, Hanauma Bay/Makapu'u Lighthouse area, etc. One accident or the ever-present pot hole patching crew can cause delays. (There is also an overhead Rail project going on and resurfacing of North Shore's Kam Hwy) Traffic backs up in the mornings and again in the late afternoon/early evening. The famed North Shore is beautiful, but parking areas are limited and many visitors have to park on the side of the road. It is not uncommon for traffic to back up for a mile or more in the evenings up there.

Theft is our major crime, so leave nothing of value in your car and always lock it- even though it won't deter a thief, but at least you'll have done what you could. Do not leave packages or gear in view, and certainly not a purse, even if it is hidden, for even just a few minutes.

Roundtrips to the Big Island are running about $170 now, and resort prices are going to vary, but aren't cheap as you'll see when you check on the Internet. The other islands are not as crowded. Personally, I usually suggest visitors take a look at Kauai, Maui (although it is pretty built up), and the Big Island before deciding on crowded Oahu.

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

We are going for our honeymoon, which is primarily going to be a "resort-based" vacation. However, Aulani does offer many excursions around the island for a fee. While this is a resort targeting many different groups (families, romantics), there is a ton of stuff for your kids to do and explore, it sounds like. Between the Menehuni (sp) trails, all the pools, lazy river, water slides, Starlit Hui, Auntie's Beach House, Character breakfasts, and lagoon activities, it's hard to think it WOULDN'T be worth it. We're taking the gamble, even though it means giving up WDW for two years. Good luck! Can't wait to read your decision!

Also, @Gaston's gal trip report really helped us get a feel for the place!
I'm glad you enjoyed my report. You will have a fabulous time at Aulani!

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

mikewdw
If you want to save a little money on food, you can stop at the Walmart or Target on the way to Aulani from the airport and pick up some food for cooking in if you stay in one of the Villas that have a kitchen.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom